Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 03-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
simonclay
GX Member

simonclay is on a distinguished road
Loud Engine/Tire Noise

My '01 GL sedan is bone stock and has a lot of noise when driving it. I'm not sure if it's maybe a loose seal or anything like that. To me it seems like it is more engine noise and wind than tire noise, but I dont really know. And it's almost obnoxiosly loud when I have the radio down/off. Is this problem common? Heck, is it even a problem? And I'm hoping this is the right location for this thread
simonclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonclay View Post
My '01 GL sedan is bone stock and has a lot of noise when driving it. I'm not sure if it's maybe a loose seal or anything like that. To me it seems like it is more engine noise and wind than tire noise, but I dont really know. And it's almost obnoxiosly loud when I have the radio down/off. Is this problem common? Heck, is it even a problem? And I'm hoping this is the right location for this thread

Sounds like there's a hole in the exhaust. It would take a lot to get those bolts loose....they are a B*TCH to get off. Check under the car and see....what engine do you have?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
simonclay
GX Member

Its the 2.4l. I never thought about an exhaust leak. I've had to deal with an exhaust leak on different cars before and it doesn't seem the same. It only seems loud when you are inside the car, from the outside it is quiet and normal.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonclay View Post
Its the 2.4l. I never thought about an exhaust leak. I've had to deal with an exhaust leak on different cars before and it doesn't seem the same. It only seems loud when you are inside the car, from the outside it is quiet and normal.

My 2.4 is a bit loud as well. I think it's because the car is so underpowered that the engine is like a hamster pulling a train.
My screen name should be changed to Jizzdaddy. I was anally raped by flying monkeys and loved it. I promise to never threaten anyones daughters again because I know it will result in my ahoe being severely widened. - Did Andy just say that he wants to fk my ahoe... ewww. Sorry old man, but you're not my type.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
simonclay
GX Member

That makes sense. But if that's the case does that mean that more power=less noise? Or am I being too literal
Old 03-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
to literal. i bet you would hate riding in my car lol. solid trans/engine mount. headers and exhaust it shakes everything and can hear the rumble very well inside the car.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
honistly everything anyone has to offer is going to be a shot in the dark. cant realy diagnose worth crap without seeing the vehicle. IMO, if its not an exhaust leak, or an air leak around a door, then its probably tire/hub noise. i say that because thats usually the most common. but "thats the way it is... until it isnt... then it wont be." so try this:

go on a nice strait road, swerve smoothly left and right. does the noise change when going left and back to right?
if so then probably a tire/hub noise
rotate your tires front to back and see if the noise follows.
if it does then its tires for sure.

while your vehicle is in the air, check hubs for play to determine/rule out hubs.

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...&highlight=abs <-- briefly touches on how to check wheel beings.

--------------------------------

go 55mph (or where ever your car makes most noise). put the car in neutral and let the engine idle. noise change?
if it does then its engine/trans related
if this is the case get back up to 55mph. put the trans in "3" instead of "D"
maintain 55. did the noise change?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
simonclay
GX Member

Thanks a lot. I'll try that stuff the next chance I get
Old 03-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
simonclay
GX Member

Ok. So I figured out that it's probably not the engine. At speed the noise doesnt change when the motor idles or anything. It seems like the noise gets "lower" or "deeper" when I swerve left. And when I swerve right it stays the same or gets a little higher pitched. I haven't been able to get it on a lift yet to check the hubs
Old 03-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
sounds like a probable hub/tire. check the front tires for a lot of cupping on the inside. cupped tires and bad hubs can cause similar noises.