Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 06-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #61
racin4JC
GL Member

racin4JC is an unknown quantity at this point
No one said it was guaranteed to work, but for $5 you can buy the canned air/CO2 why not try it?
racin4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:39 PM   #62
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
question about the dry ice...how much does it cost? I had a hail storm here a couple weeks ago and the hail was golf ball sized...now my car looks like a golf ball with all those little dents....shoulda went to ASS.....
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #63
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by racin4JC View Post
No one said it was guaranteed to work, but for $5 you can buy the canned air/CO2 why not try it?

because in the history of heating and cooling metal... apparently it can't possibly EVER work....
Old 06-29-2008, 12:31 AM   #64
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
well dry ice works but somehow something that is around the same temperature doesnt work i just dont get it.............and also its the same chemical................
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.

Last edited by 01silveralero : 06-29-2008 at 12:34 AM.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:47 AM   #65
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbinoMonkeyRat View Post
question about the dry ice...how much does it cost? I had a hail storm here a couple weeks ago and the hail was golf ball sized...now my car looks like a golf ball with all those little dents....shoulda went to ASS.....

It's not that expensive, you can buy it at Meijer if you have one around you.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #66
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
i guess this is where my phd in rocket science comes into play now, when we heat metal, and we see it turns black from the torch, that is called the ankeeling process iam sure spelled wrong but iam a dumba ss so i cant spell either
and as its hit with a metal shaping hammer, on a panle beater, using different shapes and sizes of hammers we can achieve any shape we want, then it goes into a english wheel, and it is countinued to be shaped,
when heat is applied to a already shaped piece of metal like a door/hood, roof/ what have you again we see black from the torch and the metal reacts differently due to its already shaped, and on small dents POP the dent comes right out, but doing this takes allot of metal experience to long and to much heat you will see the panel just buckle under the torch
is the dumb ass phd rocket scientist explaining all this for ya guys in a layment term kinda why??
when we use dry ice, it is placed on the metal, again the akneeling process but a cold process, cold shrinking its called as well, the dry ice is placed on the dent, and we can see the dent slowly moving , and POP dent is gone, but only and only on dents the sixe of a quater, not dents that have a huge crease
so is that cool, can i have my phd in science now
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #67
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
....only if you can follow up your h.s level chemistry lesson with a functional demonstration of string theory..... (for someone who is working toward a doctorate, everything you've posted above is highly offensive, considering you have NO idea how complex things get. this argument is WHOLLY based on anything a typical highschooler should know, and would be tested on)

so if dry ice works, a very small amount of liquid nitrogen should work. (besides probably destroying the metal due to it being TOO cold) and anything as cold as dry ice should work too... right? its not the fact that its dry ice, its the fact that its approximately -100F

(while i was looking up what the temp of an inverted can of air is i found this)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R134a

All the "canned air" i've seen, uses tetrafluoroethane. I've always known that. What i DIDN'T know, is that is the same refrigerant we have in our car's AC systems;R134a. I didn't know the two were one in the same.

Its not air by any simple means. It might work for a dust blower while upright, but when turned upside down thats pure R134a your spraying out. If that can possibly cool the metal to 100F, why wouldn't that do the same thing as dry ice? Thats all i'm wondering. Bdy, if you can prove that cooling to the same temp by different means yields different results on metal... you might get your phd. not to mention a nobel prize.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #68
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
this is effin awesome, best thread ever, i guess i need to go back to school, and tell the guy that taguht me that we need to go back to school, i guess iam too stupid to fix cars
Old 06-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #69
cherrington17
Gone

you didn't answer the question.... that mean you didn't understand it, or your too afraid to answer it?

so i'll restate.

you admit, dry ice works. and even explained HOW it works. So if another substance, could cool the metal just as much, wouldn't it produce the same results? I'm not saying canned air.. i'm saying something that is as cold as dry ice... anything as cold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdyman View Post
this is effin awesome, best thread ever, i guess i need to go back to school, and tell the guy that taguht me that we need to go back to school, i guess iam too stupid to fix cars
I was told by a real old school(and very well respected) doc that xrays must be used for standard testing, and MRIs wouldn't work in replacement. That was only because he didn't know MRIs are a better, safer (albeit most costly) alternative. Just because you don't know something doesn't mean it can't happen....
Old 06-29-2008, 10:50 PM   #70
bdyman
GLS member

nope iam too dumb to understand remember, dont i need a high school diploma???, or some sort of rocket scienctist phd crap
yes it has to be as cold as dry ice for the metal to stretch back, just like with heat metal has to be hot to re shape
so i dunno maybe it will maybe it wont iam too dumb to understand not smart enough to understand high school science, so i guess i have to quit my job and work at burger king
ding fries are done ding fries are done
Old 06-29-2008, 11:03 PM   #71
cherrington17
Gone

so its only logical, that if someone who is as highly skilled as yourself in body work, uses dry ice, then it must work, and be somewhat reliable for you to even consider it worth your time... then its quite possible that something thats just as cold could work too.

but after some research, canned air with tetrafluoroethane won't work... its not cold enough. You'd need to find canned air thats liquid CO2 based, if your going to try it... (its approximately -109F)
Old 06-29-2008, 11:07 PM   #72
bdyman
GLS member

sorry dude your going beyond my grade school education
but post pics when your done
Old 06-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #73
cherrington17
Gone

whatever. your closemindedness is beyond frustrating...