Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > New Member Introductions

Old 01-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
xnick
GX Member

xnick is on a distinguished road
New here, got some questions!

Hey guys, glad I found this place!
First off - I'm 19, from Niagara Falls NY, I'm a PHP Developer and in school. I'm going to be purchasing a 03 Alero GLS with 100k on it in March - it belongs to my mom and she's going to be upgrading to a truck, and since it was the car I learned to drive in and I loved it, I'm jumping at the chance to take it off her hands! I offered her $4,000 for it, as the trade-in value was around $3,000. She bought the car new and babied it, so I know it'll be a strong runner. Already had the intake gaskets done around 85k.

I'm new to the 3400s - kind of. I recently sold my 2000 Impala LS with a 3800, it was slightly modded I also have a 1993 Olds Cutlass Ciera S, great condition with 45k original miles, 2nd owner. (pics at end of post) Since Impala's also came with LA1s, I learned a lot about them in the process of learning about and modding my L36 engine, however I never really cared too much to pay attention to them (sorry guys!) I also have a 2008 Silverado LS, but it's my dad's - however he lives 1300 miles away in Florida and the truck stays at my garage in NY, so it's mine

I have some questions regarding the car, hopefully some things I can gather while I'm waiting to get the car (My moms in the process of buying a new house, going to sell it to me once finalized (1 week!) and settled).

First thing I wanna do it struts all around, and a nice drop on it. My first question is what is the best strut available for the N-body? Do we have an adjustable strut option? Best lowering springs? Any coil-overs? Not looking to bag so that's out of the question. As usual I'd like to keep the costs low but quality comes first!

Second, would be FI. Anyone had good success with a L67 (3800 s/c) swap? Or any good turbo kits available that are reliable as far as parts and straight forward to install? I'm quite comfortable with the 3800, so a swap would be my first choice, but I know people have had some PCM issues swapping them into Grand Ams - I figure an Alero swap would be more difficult due to PCM restrictions, but I'll leave it to the pros to tell me what's up! If all else fails i'll just 3500 top-swap and call it a day

Third - anyone done a HUD? I love the HUD in my buddies GTP, but in the Impala it was almost impossible due to lack of space behind the cluster.

Some things I plan on doing are LED interior. I'm quite handy with a soldering iron, did my whole Impala's interior and it wasn't as easy as the Aleros, the lights were non-serviceable, soldered straight to the boards. I also would like to tint the tail lights (I think it would compliment the black exterior great - if you have any pics of a black Alero with tinted tails please post em!). Would also like to do clear corners, HID's, and some other small modifications (suggestions would be great!)

Anyway, as promised, here's some pics of my other rides!

IMPALA

A little photoshop I did..

CUTLASS

SILVERADO

Last edited by xnick : 01-09-2010 at 02:37 PM.
xnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
DUDE! resize those pics
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the site. Your other rides are looking pretty good too.
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
xnick
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heineck View Post
DUDE! resize those pics

Haha I got right on it, I'm used to my other forum where it automatically does
Old 01-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
dragon8807
GL Member

dragon8807 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dragon8807
welcome
05 impreza 2.5rs 5spd - current car
dragon8807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Malibu369258
GL Member

Malibu369258 is on a distinguished road
Welcome, the Impala looked nice.
Malibu369258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
welcome aboard.... a local guy!

check my sig for led how to's and FAQs.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
welcome to the party
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Welcome to the site. Cars look great

First off, you'll want to clear those corners. You'll hear that a lot on here. It's not too hard to do and you can paint the bezels or leave them as is.

As for modding the 3400 motor, you'll want to check out www.wottech.com It's all performance parts for the 60* V6 motor that you have there. The guy that runs the site, his name is Ben and he knows his stuff. He's got performance parts for 60* motors as far back to the early 90's late 80's motors. I have his manifold set and just bought his 3500 valves. Going to buy valve springs soon too.

The lowering and suspension. KYB GR2's are probably the best right now. PFYC carries them in a set for $270 or Summit racing sells them singles and a set of 4 would be $238. I need new ones so I've been looking Give a pretty good ride. Been very happy with them. As for lowering, that's up to you. Eibachs give you a 1.2 inch drop. That's what I have because the roads in Philly suck and I bottom out sometimes. There are also Intrax which give you a 2.2 inch drop. I would suggest getting the camber adjusting bolts with lowering the car. 1 set for 1 inch, 2 sets for 2 inch.

As for the HUD, I don't think anybody here has tried it and HID's, some guys have them, I'll let them tell you about that

Keep in mind that the L36 you had is a different motor than the LA1. The L36 is a 90* motor and the LA1 is a 60*

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
AndyT3
GL Member

AndyT3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AndyT3 Send a message via Yahoo to AndyT3
Welcome aboard!

Nice lineup!

FQuick - updated all the time
AndyT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #11
CBLOHM3400
Trying To Help

CBLOHM3400 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to CBLOHM3400
hello and welcome from michigan
Old 01-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, 3400 guy here!

Wottech is a great place...

I had tint tails... i loved them...

SPRING SPRINGS ARE THE BEST SPRINGS EVER (and cheapest)
Old 01-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
AndyT3
GL Member

AndyT3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AndyT3 Send a message via Yahoo to AndyT3
I think Nate meant Sprint Springs.

FQuick - updated all the time
AndyT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #14
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT3 View Post
I think Nate meant Sprint Springs.

thanks...
Old 01-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #15
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
welcome.

i'm also looking into the hud option. i've looked into it alot, i also want to get an impala dic and try to install it into my car

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:11 AM   #16
xnick
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel6632 View Post
welcome.

i'm also looking into the hud option. i've looked into it alot, i also want to get an impala dic and try to install it into my car

I had the DIC in my Impala - I am an active member on a forum called NAIOA - the owner, BBEngineer, sells a kit to retrofit one into an Impala. Not sure if it'll work in an Alero but I'm all ears if it does! In fact I'm going to shoot him an email seeing if he knows if it will be an easy install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
welcome aboard.... a local guy!

check my sig for led how to's and FAQs.

Thanks... glad to see some more people around here who own a snow blower I'll have to keep an eye out for your car, I work right off the 990 and North French, thats about the closest I ever get to Lockport so I might see ya out there if you are in the area. I have a buddy John who lives in Lockport, has a pretty built NA 3800, with a crazy top-swap coming - M90, full size IC, headers, all the bells and whistles. He doesn't know it yet but he'll be helping me install my struts on the Alero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Welcome to the site. Cars look great

First off, you'll want to clear those corners. You'll hear that a lot on here. It's not too hard to do and you can paint the bezels or leave them as is.

As for modding the 3400 motor, you'll want to check out www.wottech.com It's all performance parts for the 60* V6 motor that you have there. The guy that runs the site, his name is Ben and he knows his stuff. He's got performance parts for 60* motors as far back to the early 90's late 80's motors. I have his manifold set and just bought his 3500 valves. Going to buy valve springs soon too.

The lowering and suspension. KYB GR2's are probably the best right now. PFYC carries them in a set for $270 or Summit racing sells them singles and a set of 4 would be $238. I need new ones so I've been looking Give a pretty good ride. Been very happy with them. As for lowering, that's up to you. Eibachs give you a 1.2 inch drop. That's what I have because the roads in Philly suck and I bottom out sometimes. There are also Intrax which give you a 2.2 inch drop. I would suggest getting the camber adjusting bolts with lowering the car. 1 set for 1 inch, 2 sets for 2 inch.

As for the HUD, I don't think anybody here has tried it and HID's, some guys have them, I'll let them tell you about that

Keep in mind that the L36 you had is a different motor than the LA1. The L36 is a 90* motor and the LA1 is a 60*

Thanks for all the great info! Corners will be cleared along with a painted black bezel. I am familiar with WOT-TECH - I believe Ben (or someone from WOT-TECH) is a member on the Impala forum I frequent. I never checked out the site but now I will have to. I think I'll go with the GR2's on Eibach's - both familiar names to me and like you, I live somewhere with crazy potholes and don't wanna go too low. Quick question if you happen to read this - On W-Bodys we have GR2's and AGX's, which are adjustable - do we have an adjustable strut for N-Bodys? I'm currently running 4300k HID's in all my vehicles, couldn't imagine life without them! It will be the first mod I do other than sending my tails to FLIP (shameless plug: http://flipscustomtails.com ) for a nice tint coat - I've used VHT before with good results, but his work is phenomenal.

Again thanks for all the welcomes and answers guys, I'm going to get to know the search button pretty well over the next 2 months until I get my car!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:23 AM   #17
Blade
GX Member

Blade is on a distinguished road
Welcome Nice truck
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #18
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
welcome to the site.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #19
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard!
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #20
adam337
GLS member

adam337 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to adam337
hey.. tinted impala tails > whited tails. and the rims you chose for the shop.. ugry.
Lonnie: How would she feel if I took the booty one of the ladies has offered up.. What am I going to say... It's not my fault some gifts are better then others.
adam337 is offline   Reply With Quote