GL Member

RisenequinoX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to RisenequinoX Send a message via MSN to RisenequinoX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sleepr View Post
well, a jack and two stands is on sale here for
$30

oil and filter $35 give or take a few dollars

and plugs..I'll figure $25 for the LA1.. I haven't changed them in the alero yet

so if you go to a shop and get higher end oil and filter, its cheaper or breaking even. should have clarified..

I see. I don't know what the Local harbor freight price for a 2 ton jack is but i know at autozone it's ~$100 alone.

If i pay to have my oil done its usually $29.95

100,000 Mi 3/29/2011
RisenequinoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #22
Greencoupe2.2
GX Member

Greencoupe2.2 is on a distinguished road
I will never take my car to a shop to get the oil changed ever again, some idiot at a local valvoline way overtighntended the drain plug and ruined the threads on it, Luckily there was no damage done to the oil pan. This is one reason why I do everything my self, no one can be trusted anymore.
Greencoupe2.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #23
mastershake
GL Member

mastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond repute
is it necessary to replace the drain plug gasket?

and will ac delco iridiums be good?
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #24
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
no its not necessary
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #25
Greencoupe2.2
GX Member

Greencoupe2.2 is on a distinguished road
Ac delco iridiums will work and last a long time
Greencoupe2.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #26
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
Exclamation please read and take note =]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistershakez View Post

ok, I have to say I highly disagree with the comment that synthetic oil is not worth it at higher mileage. I bought my car with 93,000 and started using Mobil 1 in it in place of conventional oil. At 151,000 I have not experienced sludge, increased leakage, or any other issues. In fact, I am happily reaping the benefits of greater engine component protection and longer change periods (around 5,000 miles instead of 3,000) which offsets the extra cost. It's a win win situation and I personally say go for it. I know that the penzoil oil change place by me offers a complete oil change (with conventional oil, mind you) , car inspection, and other fluid top-off for only $35. I also live in Michigan so that price should be comparable in grand rapids. Just so you know, your car can run 5w30 in all temperatures and 10w30 in temperatures above zero degrees Fahrenheit.

As for your spark plugs, use the same as original plugs which are AC Delco Type 41-963 (Platinum Plug) Gap: 0.060 inch (1.52 mm). These plugs are meant for our cars and unless your engine has significant upgrades using other plugs will not give you any benefits.

If you want a copy of the owners manual, I have a PDF copy and can e-mail it to you. it gives lots of information on what to use/not use in our cars.

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #27
mastershake
GL Member

mastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond repute
ive read the owners manual like 6 times its like my bible hahaha

i read it before i even got the car....

which is preferred though, iridiums or platinums?
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #28
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
copper for me

but go jump on the iridium train
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #29
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
feeling very repetitive here but, platinum. platinum lasts 100,000 miles, is what our car was designed to run on, and is overall whats good for our cars. As everybody who has been on this site for a long time already knows, if you go with plugs that are full of gimmics, then your car is going to be angry at you and you'll find yourself spending even more money to buy the plugs that are actually supposed to go in it. C2 runs copper plugs because thats whats recommended for the 2.4 twin cam but you have the v6 and they call for platinum, so platinum is what you should put in it, especially if its stock.

to answer your original question about whether you can buy a specific brand of oil at an oil change place, its easy. call ahead. then you will have your answer. if they don't carry the oil, ask if you can bring your own oil and ask how much it would cost for the labor.

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:48 AM   #30
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post
looks somthing like this
get it at most auto parts store

then do what cherry said and dump it back in the new bottles you just used and bring it back to where you bought it.
be careful though, hot oil on your face does not too feel good

That's true, I was doing one on the ground once on a ranger, and dropped my filter wrench right in the drain pan. fortunately I got none in my hair or on my clothes, but a whole lot in my mouth, and water won't wash out oil.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #31
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistershakez View Post

Take a look at the bolt when you go to remove it. If its weeping oil around the bolt, OR after you take it out, the gasket is cracked/dry rotted... then yes.

A new bolt (with a magnet on the end to catch metal shavings) is only a couple bucks. I rounded mine off, so I had to get a new one.

If none of the above, no. Keep the old one. If any of the above, then yes.

Also... since your new to this. Loosen the bolt until you can turn it by hand. Then get your bucket underneath, and slowly turn the bolt by hand, pushing it up into the oil pan. (to keep oil from coming out) until you clearly have it completely unthreaded and the only thing stopping oil is the bolt your holding in place. Then quickly remove the bolt, and let the oil drain. (best way to avoid coating your hand in possibly warm oil)

Also... keep in mind the oil doesn't drain straight down. The pan outlet is angled slightly. Have your pan about 5" off to the side its angled on. Or else you'll have a huge mess when you miss it.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #32
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
If you bring your own oil/filter they will still charge you the same fees to do it as if you didn't. That's just how it works. I suggest you do it yourself.

That's not how it is here. I take both out vehicles to a dealership with the Mobil 1 oil. Then they charge me around $15 for filter and oil, plus clean the inside of the car and wash the outside.

They way I look at it, if I wash my own car it would be $5-$7. The filter would be $3-$7. So basically the oil change costs me around $5.

I am willing to pay $5 for an oil change just so I don't have to do it.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #33
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
I am willing to pay $5 for an oil change just so I don't have to do it.

hallmark of someone who doesn't know how to work on cars...
Old 03-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #34
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
hallmark of someone who doesn't know how to work on cars...

right......

Old 03-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #35
cherrington17
Gone

Aww... gonna cry?

Quick... someone call Kyle
Old 03-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #36
kwhauck
2Screwy

Old 03-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #37
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post

What the hell is this, and why is it relevant here? it all made sense until this thing came along now I'm lost..
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #38
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post
then do what cherry said and dump it back in the new bottles you just used and bring it back to where you bought it. be careful though, hot oil on your face does not too feel good

I prefer to use used 2 liter soda bottles since I know that the fluid isn't going to leak out.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #39
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
copper for me

but go jump on the iridium train

The iridiums are factory issue (ACDelco #41-101)

Although, if you really wanted to use coppers in a 3400 it would be a #R44LTSM6
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #40
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sleepr View Post
What the hell is this, and why is it relevant here? it all made sense until this thing came along now I'm lost..

It's a mite.

Eye Mite

I might.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote