Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 03-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #21
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
Nah if you take that head to any decent machine shop they can get those out and either rethread it or throw a helicoil in there. Thats the cheaper way then having to get a new head.

If you have orange liquid leaking it is most likely the stock coolant (DEX-COOL) and your head gasket is shot so you will need to take the head off anyway to fix that.

Either way your going to have to spend the couple hundred $$ to do an engine overhaul with all new gaskets and head bolts.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #22
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr1m View Post
Nah if you take that head to any decent machine shop they can get those out and either rethread it or throw a helicoil in there. Thats the cheaper way then having to get a new head.

If you have orange liquid leaking it is most likely the stock coolant (DEX-COOL) and your head gasket is shot so you will need to take the head off anyway to fix that.

Either way your going to have to spend the couple hundred $$ to do an engine overhaul with all new gaskets and head bolts.

yeah i agree with gr1m. its unfortunate but its gotta be done.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #23
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
its not that the threads "fell in". the threads are still threaded into the end...
Old 03-31-2012, 08:06 PM   #24
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
holy eff.... well gotta remove the head you absolutely can't do it another way... get the head resurfaced

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #25
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
so i dont need a new head correct?

And how much are we looking at? For parts (if any)? For labor?
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video

Last edited by spc2125 : 03-31-2012 at 09:56 PM.
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #26
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
With the junk yard hadent f*cked up and taken my car. I would have let let everything go cheap.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #27
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
Ive been searching for how to's on this and i cant really find any with pics.
But from what ive read, its fairly simple, just time consuming. What I think I could do is, go down to a junkyard and practice on one of those
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
Old 04-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #28
spc2125
GLS member

Not done with this thing yet. Since Im gong to have to bring it to a shop anyways why not try all the ridiculous things i can think of to try and get these out.

It seems as though all the spark plugs left the threads down there. So im going to throw some pb blaster down there. and try and find an extra long pair of needle nose pliers
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
Old 04-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #29
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Lesson here...when the first one gives you issues....dont keep taking off the other ones. Spray PB in the other ones, let it sit for a while...spray a little more....then try and work them off. Never seize works wonders, put some on the threads next time and you wont have this problem.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #30
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
Lesson here...when the first one gives you issues....dont keep taking off the other ones. Spray PB in the other ones, let it sit for a while...spray a little more....then try and work them off. Never seize works wonders, put some on the threads next time and you wont have this problem.

pb blaster usually does its job in about 5 mins. but yes, soak atleast twice. and i also agree billy!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #31
Goodman
GX Member

Goodman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post
Well i decided to take a look at my spark plugs to see if that was the cause of my bad gas mileage.

I tried loosening them with a ratchet but they wouldnt budge. I put previous ones in and i dont remember tightening them this tight.

I think you did tight them to much... (4 of them...)
Usually you put it in & turn it by hand until you have to use the ratchet to tight them & when you tight them you give about 1/8 to 1/4 turn max. no more otherwise you'll break it next time you remove it as it happen to you.
Lesson learned?

Anyways do as Gr1m said in his post
Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #32
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodman View Post
I think you did tight them to much... (4 of them...)
Usually you put it in & turn it by hand until you have to use the ratchet to tight them & when you tight them you give about 1/8 to 1/4 turn max. no more otherwise you'll break it next time you remove it as it happen to you.
Lesson learned?

Anyways do as Gr1m said in his post

on the ecotec you can't get to the spark plugs by hand it takes a long extension to even reach them with a spark plug socket.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #33
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
on the ecotec you can't get to the spark plugs by hand it takes a long extension to even reach them with a spark plug socket.

turn the extension by hand....
Old 04-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #34
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

also fyi... dont suck up gas with a vac... yoru asking for trubble.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #35
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
welll!!!!!! looks like i wont have to be spending 4-$500 just yet!

i fished it out using super glue, a piece of a clay bar, and a screwdriver

Now i just have to take out the last spark plug and try and figure out why fluid came up
Now that is some Macgyver shit right there....lol
Old 04-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #36
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

I just had an idea. worse case (and you already know this) the heads got to come off. you could fill the cylinder (with it at TDC) with shaving cream and try to drill out the old spark plug threads with left handed bits (and if your lucky it will pull the threads of the spark plug out without actualy having to do much drilling). then take a vaccume cleaner with some brake line as an adapter and suck the shaving cream out of the clylinder (the shaving cream keeps the metal shavings on top. could work. like i said worse case you have to pul lthe head anyways.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #37
spc2125
GLS member

im wondering if there are some needle nose pliers that are long even and thin enough to fit down there
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
Old 04-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #38
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Mine are still the original vintage 1999 spark plugs. Should I remove them and regap in reinstall with no seize? I've only got 31K on it. After seeing this, I wonder if it might be to hard to do if I let it go another 30K miles.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #39
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
welll!!!!!! looks like i wont have to be spending 4-$500 just yet!

i fished it out using super glue, a piece of a clay bar, and a screwdriver

Now i just have to take out the last spark plug and try and figure out why fluid came up

That's totally awesome!

I'm not completely sure if the problem is the same but this might have worked as well:
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-LIS65600.../dp/B00267PZUK
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #40
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

leave them be. your good to 100k unless one carbon tracs.