Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 11-21-2003, 02:11 PM   #1
leroBob
GLS member

leroBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Recently bought a 99 Alero in the past month. I ha just a few questions seeing as i iam new to the Alero.
IS it possible to hook up my amp and subs to the stock radio?
How hard is it to get to the stock radio? I can't seem to find a quick way to pop it out, Olds seemend to do a very goodjob integrating the stereo and controls. So how would i go about taking it out.
I would love to put in my pair JLW3's to give my car a little more bump!!
Thanxs for the help
Bob in Michigan
leroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 02:17 PM   #2
crazykid

yeah you sure can hook it up to stock... its pretty easy to do, but its even easier with an aftermarket hu and you will get WAY better sound.. trust me i know cause i used to have subs connected to the stock hu

to get to the hu just remove the trim from around it, you can just pry it off with a flathead screw driver from the top. then there is i believe 3 bolts around the hu you remove, then it pulls right out... to make it easier, you may want to remove the shifter so you have more room and can move the trim peice out of the way..

oh.. and you will have to tap into the rear speaker wires.. you can get a diagram showing which is the rear speakers and which is + and - from www.the12volt.com i'm not sure what they are off hand.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:23 PM   #3
leroBob
GLS member

My last ride was totaled and My Alpine HU went w/it sp i'm still bummend over that, and was contemplating getting another HU.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:28 PM   #4
misslindseysue

In my 2000 I've got amp and sub with the stock HU. Get a wiring diagram from a dealer or somewhere and that'll help a lot. The little baby amp for mine is in the side of the trunk, so we just tied it in there. Overdrive hooked up the trigger for the amp to the power antenna trigger so that it comes on when you turn the radio on.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:29 PM   #5
crazykid

that sucks.. they didn't give you a chance to get stuff out of your car or take anything out you wanted? when i totalled my old car they gave me all the time i wanted to rip stuff out.... but yeah id say go for another aftermarket hu... so much easier to tune sound... looks/sounds way better than stock in general to
Old 11-21-2003, 02:33 PM   #6
leroBob
GLS member

The Holding yard that my car was at told me i couldn't take anything bolted because their "Not a salvage yard their a haolding yard" The way it looked any ways the HU would of been ruined like most everytthing else, from the front seats forward"
Old 11-21-2003, 02:34 PM   #7
leroBob
GLS member

The websites for this car are so much more usefull than for the last two cars i owned u guys kick azz.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:36 PM   #8
crazykid

i would of told them to suck it and i'll take what i want... i mean its your car... you bought the aftermarket hu... i would of just taken it and thrown the stock one back in if you even could or if it was working.. don't know what the extent of the damage was.. kinda sounds bad.. atleast your ok
Old 11-21-2003, 02:39 PM   #9
leroBob
GLS member

It was a 95 conv. LeBaron i got t boned by a newer sunfire write at the front of the passenger door she was going about 55 wheb she hit it pretty much bent my car.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:34 PM   #10
blueyezalero

Sorry about your accident. I bet those guys at the "holding yard" took out your HU for their personal use.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:46 PM   #11
nex

Quote:
Originally posted by misslindseysue@Nov 21 2003, 07:28 PM
Overdrive hooked up the trigger for the amp to the power antenna trigger so that it comes on when you turn the radio on.
umm its the remote wire, Its nothing special (i think you have to wire it like that or else your battery is dead)
Old 11-21-2003, 07:41 PM   #12
misslindseysue

Eh, whatever. It was a PITA getting at the damn thing.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:07 AM   #13
2kalerorocket

I have an amp added to my Stock HU and it sounds just as good as an aftermarket. I should know I had three different setups in my car in just the past month.
1. Stock HU with an amp that has high level inputs. Sounded ok, didn't have quite the punch I thought it could have but it was enough to satasfy my crave. Had this setup for about three years.

2. Aftermarket Pioneer Premier DEH-P750MP HU with RCA connection into amp. Deffinetly a better sound than the previous setup, A lot more bass and sound control due to the options on the HU. Was quite satasfied, until some jackass was also admiring my HU and stole it.

3. Back to Stock HU with RCA connection. Decided to install it like this because I had the RCA's ran. To do this I installed one of these N-85V from David Navone. It brought the stock HU setup up to aftermarket quality. Plus I have the ability to adjust on the fly with this item. Was definitly worth the payout. Plus I have a good sounding system with out the worry of it being stolen. I've got more thump than I ever need.

If you are looking to keep the stock HU this is the best option for an amp install. Just ask me anything about the wires and i can tell you exactly what to do. I can even tell you how to install a 2001 and newer RDS radio in your 99 and 2000 cars, that is was I have done. I like the look of these radios better.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:13 AM   #14
2kalerorocket

Quote:
Originally posted by nex+Nov 21 2003, 10:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nex @ Nov 21 2003, 10:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-misslindseysue@Nov 21 2003, 07:28 PM
Overdrive hooked up the trigger for the amp to the power antenna trigger so that it comes on when you turn the radio on.
umm its the remote wire, Its nothing special (i think you have to wire it like that or else your battery is dead) [/b][/quote]
Actually the 99 and 2000 has a switched power source, but the 01 and up do not so they have to connect to the power antenna lead to provide them a switched source. but it would also work for 99 and 2k cars as well. I just setup a relay to power more switchable items. Such as my Seat Heaters, amp, cd changer, phone charger, and the relay for the Data Connection for the '01 radio.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:48 PM   #15
Marfless
GX Member

Marfless is an unknown quantity at this point
I own a 99 alero ... and what your saying is the it is posible to connect a amp to the stoch HU?
I only use a amp for sub right now but more to come...
So this is simple plug it in and go....?

Marfless
Marfless is offline   Reply With Quote