Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 10-06-2004, 12:18 AM   #1
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
ok, im sure oldsman will know what im talking about here, but anyways. it suddenly just hit me that the whole point of having an oil pressure sending unit is to detect if you have low oil or your running normal. and since SES light or a low oil light or a change oil light, etc. wont light up if you unplug this or not i figured, since i have an electrical oil PSI gauge, then why not just hook up the aftermarket sending unit instead of the factory one, and not having to go through putting a T fitting and getting all those NPT brass fittings on that. cause i removed that sensor and just plugged in the aftermarket OIL pressure sending unit, and my car ran just fine at 50 psi of oil. so who hear thinks its safe to just leave the stock sending unit out and have the gauge take care of the rest. i mean if i need to check for low oil, just simply look at the dipstick right? also the car will be running lower than 50 psi if it has low oil right? i mean if worse comes to worse, why not just splice that wire from the stock sending unit, and plug it into the aftermarket oil PSI sending unit . you know? cause i figured that would be alot easier than hooking up all those brass fittings and taking up all that space.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:53 AM   #2
mobs241

ok if i think im deciphering this right, you want to remove the stock oil pressure sending unit and replace it with an aftermarket right? go for it that doesnt matter as long as something is there and its plugged in....... if your low on oil you will run less than 10 psi of oil but check your freakin oil.
i dont care if there is a light or not. if your a quart of oil low, it wont be able to tell. and it will harm your engine. so you still need to check it the old fashioned way.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:55 AM   #3
mobs241

oh and btw if you were saying just ditch the sending unit. you cant do that. you need a sending unit its also hatched into the ecu.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:39 PM   #4
-Alero-
GLS member

what!? i never threw the stock one away. im just not gonna use it, and let the oil pressure gauge keep an eye on the oil. and how is that apart of the ECU if its an open circuit and the engine cant even tell if its there or not.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:41 PM   #5
-Alero-
GLS member

its a detector thats all it is. and when the time comes around and it detects low oil pressure then it says "hey low oil" and then the light comes on. so im pretty sure the engine can live without it. as long as something is monitoring the oil pressure
Old 10-06-2004, 08:21 PM   #6
mobs241

i actually havnt researched the alero but if there is a pressure sending unit in teh block. it cannot be without it. but if its just parts of the ecm im unsure,,,, but if it didnt have a psu in teh block how would it know it was low on oil?
Old 10-06-2004, 10:56 PM   #7
-Alero-
GLS member

the stock one kinda talks it over with i think your ECU and if the original oil pressure is falling lower than what its programmed to, then it sends the signal to say "hey you have low oil" cause the pressure is lower than normal. and since its an open circuit, the engine doesnt know if its there or not, unless it sends that specific signal that says "low oil pressure". so the oil pressure gauge i got, just monitors it and you pay attention to it inside the car. and if its showing that the pressure is low, i'll know personally that it needs more oil.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:58 PM   #8
-Alero-
GLS member

so lol in a way i just solved my own problem now all i gotta do is fine the teflon tape <_<
Old 10-09-2004, 10:40 PM   #9
gxryan

Now if you don't mind me asking were is this oil pressure gage located on the ECO?
Cause I'm kinda curious I kinda wanna replace mine like how u did uses for the gauge if it works good.

Cause it won't void any warranty rite?