Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 11-19-2003, 12:10 PM   #1
havik

Just thought I'd help populate the forums now...

I bought 2 12" Infinity subs and 4x6 Infinity Two-way plate speakers thus far.

For the time being, I only want to install these. I am saving up for a headunit, two amps (one to power the speakers and another to power the subs) and I'll build a standard sub box.

Other than a wiring kit, I've heard about cap's and equalizer's. Can anyone give me a layman definition of these and why I should concern myself with them?? Also, am I forgetting anything? Or is everything in order.

"I was just asking, that's how you learn things, by asking. Dumbass!" - Carl Carlson to Lenny
Old 11-19-2003, 01:19 PM   #2
99blackalero

in regards to the caps havik, they basically store the charge your amp would need to give it that extra punch, and it also saves the annoying headlight blinking if you buy the right cap, 1 farad = 1000 watt system, 1.5= 1500 watt system, etc.., by feeding from the cap and not directly off the battery, it'll probably save your alternator some wear and tear too.

as for equalizers, they're basically to fine tune your system, i have an Alpine Ere-G190 sub-eq for the subs and i love it, it acts like a boost in a way also, and i can fine tune the frequencies while i am listening to the music...a friend of mine had an eq for his speakers in his ride and it made quite a difference, but depending on the deck you get it will have a built in eq, so it would be pointless.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:22 PM   #3
99blackalero

you might also want to get a power distribution block and ground distrubition block....ex..power wire into block and one wire out to mono amp and the 2nd to the 4 ch. amp, same with the ground
Old 11-19-2003, 04:29 PM   #4
havik

Did you install your system on your own? I want to do that b/c I hear rumour's about shabby business ethics at most of the well-known companies around here.

BTW - I'm thinking about getting the Alpine CDA-7893 head unit, I had the CDM-7873 (I think) before but sold it. Or another alpine unit similar to the color of the 7893 (like the Alpine CDA-9807).

Here's a run down of what I'd need then (just the basics):
- sub box
- 2 amps
- head unit
- cap
- wiring kit
- possibly an equalizer

sound good?
Old 11-19-2003, 05:20 PM   #5
jonez

Make sure on your wiring kit you get a good one. Don't by a cheap one, just wasting your money. Probally your best bet would be a 4-guage amp kit. That is what I have in mine. Works great. Also probally would suggest the cap. When I first installed didn't have cap and blew my alternator.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:19 PM   #6
99blackalero

havik, i have the cda-7893, i love it. what you're planning on setting up sounds good. i installed three different systems in my ride before i had my shop do my custom install in the trunk...if you know how to wire it then save yourslef the money and do it yourself. unless you're doing custom work there should be no reason to pay someone to do it. i got a lot more satisfaction knowing i installed and tuned everything myself than saying that someone else did everything for me.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:31 PM   #7
havik

I know what you mean, I want to install this myself because I want to say I did it. I plan on upgrading the system once I have the basics complete. Maybe by getting another sub and a fiberglass box to house all the subs. Then probably upgrading all the speakers and adding some more (kicker panels, etc...), and maybe some custom grills and neons for effect, then see what happens after that. I don't intend on entering competitions, I just want a sweet audio system. I guess I'll have to get a wicked security system as well,
Old 11-19-2003, 08:23 PM   #8
99blackalero

i bought the two way pagin for mine, sleep better at night now
Old 11-19-2003, 09:34 PM   #9
havik

I'd probably get something like that set up, then when I get a house I'd make sure I had a secure garage as well, put like 5 dogs in there (train em to leave the car alone unless someone attempts to touch it. :thumbsup:
Old 11-19-2003, 10:32 PM   #10
99blackalero

perrrfect....i want one of those too
Old 11-20-2003, 01:29 PM   #11
havik

Ok, back to my "future" system:

Head Unit: Alpine CDA-7893

Amps: Still thinking. My subs peak RMS is 300W (4 ohms) So I'd need a 2-channel amp with 300W x 2 channel (@ 4 ohms)? Does this sound right?
My Front speakers peak RMS is 45W (4 ohms). Need an amp with 45W x 2 channel (@ 4 ohms)?

Subs: 2 12" Infinity's

Door panel speakers: 4x6 Infinity Two-way plate speakers

Wiring kit: 4 gauge amp kit (as suggested earlier). Can I custom these or do I need to buy?

Cap: Again, any recommendations?

Sub box: I'm going to build my own

EDIT: also power and ground distribution blocks
Old 11-20-2003, 01:55 PM   #12
jonez

Quote:
Originally posted by havik@Nov 20 2003, 06:29 PM

Wiring kit: 4 gauge amp kit (as suggested earlier). Can I custom these or do I need to buy?

You can buy everything seperate, but it will cost you more. Buying the kit is cheapier. The 4 gauge in my car is a Stinger. Also as some suggested get a power distribution block and ground distrubition block. Makes life easier.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:14 PM   #13
99blackalero

buying the kit is obviously cheaper but i bought everything separate cause i didnt like the look of the rca wires..call me picky
Old 11-20-2003, 04:28 PM   #14
jonez

/\
I wouldn't say that is picky, I would say that is smart. Why pay all that money for a system then not hook it up with the right wiring.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:47 PM   #15
havik

Yeah, I want to make sure I do this right. It's one thing to have the system you want but it'll sound like crap if the wires are cheap, frayed on the inside, poor material, etc...

BTW - what are the benefits of the Power and Ground distribution blocks? (I think it's obvious at this point I'm a newbie to audio )
Old 11-20-2003, 07:50 PM   #16
jonez

It makes your life a lot easier when it comes to splitting the power from the 4 gauge wire. The 4 gauge wire will plug into one side of the block and from the other side you can run 2,3,or 4 wires of smaller gauge to your amps.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:59 PM   #17
99blackalero

it basically splits the power and ground evenly and also avoids the hassle of having to "jump" power off one of the amps( ex...power going into amp 1, then from amp1 into amp2....)this way is a lot safer for both amps by getting the distribution blocks, not expensive and its provides a cleaner looking install
Old 11-20-2003, 09:00 PM   #18
99blackalero

check out my car pics, in the pics of my trunk it shows the distribution blocks in between the two amps
Old 11-24-2003, 08:34 AM   #19
evilinside09

i would say to skip the amp for your speakers and spend a little more on your sub amp. if you get an aftermarket HU, those speakers will be fine. the rms on most aftermarket HUs is around 22 - 25, max is at 45 - 50. if the rms on the speakers is 45, then i wouldn't worry about it. besides, it's all about the bass. i would recommend an amp that puts out about 1000 watts rms @ 2 ohms. that max for those subs would be 2400w. the max for the amp would be 2000w. wire the subs together and they'll run at 2 ohms. the less impedience, the better. just make sure to find an amp that is at least 2 ohm stable. i know that most audiobahn amps are 1 ohm stable. i would stay away from visonik amps. my friend just fried one. i would say for your amp: audiobahn, rockford fostgate, or jl audio. if you need an aftermarket hu, i've got a good one that i'm looking to sell.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:22 AM   #20
99blackalero

having a good system is more than just a lot of bass....with an amp that powerful (1000 watts rms) youre going to drown out the lyrics....what havic is doing is the ideal way of getting a complete package so not only would you have lots of bass but you'll be able to hear what is playing also