Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 07-15-2004, 07:42 PM   #1
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
Unhappy

my friend suggested i cut my cat converter off or hollow it out, and he said it should give around 20 to 30 hp, and only costs 60 dollars to be done. do you guys think its a good idea to neautralize my cat? if so do you think i'll gain low end? mid range? or high end torque?
Old 07-15-2004, 07:47 PM   #2
Sundayalero
GL Member

Sundayalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Nooooooooo!!!! Save your money.
<span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\'>Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only real cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas. Just roll the roof back and screw it on, grease the face with white tanning butter and move out with the music at top volume, and at least a pint of ether.
-From the book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson </span>
Sundayalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:50 PM   #3
Sundayalero
GL Member

Really, this is going to give you no HP gains. Put the $60 towards something else for your ride.
<span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\'>Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only real cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas. Just roll the roof back and screw it on, grease the face with white tanning butter and move out with the music at top volume, and at least a pint of ether.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:57 PM   #4
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
Lightbulb

lol ok thanks, well where can i get a high flow cat?
Old 07-15-2004, 07:58 PM   #5
dopey

high flow cat is worthless as well.

the stock cat is just fine.

how old are u?
Old 07-22-2004, 03:30 PM   #6
Steberino

For 60 bucks, HECK YEAH DO IT! I don't know what these guys are talking about, but cutting the cat out WILL increase the HP and Torque. "High-flow cat" is a waste of money. Either have it or don't. If you want to go all the way, our cars have resonators too. If you look at your undercarriage, you will see two tubes. One is the resonator and the other is the cat. Cut both of those out, straight pipe it and you WILL add some balls to your engine. My friend has done this on this Pontiac Fiero and a guy at my work has the exact same car, 86 Pontiac Fiero GT V6. My friend's Fiero, which has the cat removed, SMOKED the stock Fiero. That think jumped off the line and never looked back. Now the guy at my work is in the process of cutting his cat out. As for emissions, when I stand behind my friend's Fiero, it makes my eyes burn and you can smell the fumes. But he still passes emissions (Washington State). If an 86 Fiero with cat cut out can pass emissions, Alero with cat cut out will pass emissions with flying colors. Sure, it will be higher emission readings, but pass is a pass is a pass whether it's by an inch or a mile.
I personally am in the process of cutting out the cat. I am thinking about leaving the resonator in at the cost of HP and torque because I don't want it to sound like a muscle car. Cutting out the cat will most likely give you the Mustang GT/Cobra or Corvette sound while cutting both the cat AND the resonator will give you even more growl.
I think it's a heck of a deal to do this for 60 bucks. Well, let me know how it goes.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:35 PM   #7
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
I think what he's(the canadian) trying to say and your not understanding is that the converters that GM puts on flow more air than our motors can move. I have to agree that removing the cat is dumb. With the cat removed you may and I say may add 1 hp above 4000 RPM.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 04:35 PM   #8
Sundayalero
GL Member

So your opinion... What do you think he is going to gain from cutting out the cat and resonator?
Old 07-22-2004, 04:43 PM   #9
Grouch

Okay, my two-cents....The stock Alero cat flows very well for a stock converter. So there is really no reason to go hacking it off. You will not gain but maybe 4-5 hp out of it. Just how good is the stock cat? There have been dyno test of a pricey ($350) high-flow cat and it only showed a 2-3 hp gain. Not worth it.

The only reason a person might consider switching to a high-flow cat in our cars is if they redid the entire exhaust system to a larger pipe diameter, then I would splurge the $75-100 to get a Catco or Dynomax high flow-cat that is the same diameter as the new pipes.

But if you wish go ahead and gut your cat. Though you are looking at expensive cost to replace it, in addition to possible fines for gutting it when you car fails an emissions test. Emissions test have different standards around the country. What may pass in one place will fail miserably in another.

Thread reopened, play nice and keep the discussions civil please. :thumbsup:
Old 07-22-2004, 04:50 PM   #10
Sundayalero
GL Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Grouch@Jul 22 2004, 03:43 PM
But if you wish go ahead and gut your cat. Though you are looking at expensive cost to replace it, in addition to possible fines for gutting it when you car fails an emissions test. Emissions test have different standards around the country. What may pass in one place will fail miserably in another.

In California they wont even test your car with out the CAT on it.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:52 PM   #11
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Sundayalero+Jul 22 2004, 03:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sundayalero @ Jul 22 2004, 03:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Grouch@Jul 22 2004, 03:43 PM

In California they wont even test your car with out the CAT on it. [/b][/quote]
Same here in Ohio.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 04:55 PM   #12
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
No emisisons testing here, but a big fat ticket if your found without it.
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 05:20 PM   #13
wy3134

I guess if you wanna be another ricer then cut it out so you get a louder sound for revvin at stop lights! Lmao but its a waste of money to do anything to just the exhaust or just the intake w/out upgrading the other part...cut the cat out it wont flow more...put a CAI on and it wont give any real gains w/ stock exhaust even w/ cat cut out, gotta do both basically for gains....hope that helps some
Old 07-22-2004, 06:56 PM   #14
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
He in Philly if you have no CAT the car won't pass emissions, as part of Northeast Emissions, but you can do a high flow but don't go too big. It will rob HP instead of gaining it.

20 to 30 HP from hollowing a cat is BS. In fact, even if you remove a cat those numbers are BS. The guy either doesn't know what he talking about or he's trying to rip you off.

Just look at the numbers. A SPL or a Borla cat back will add only about 11 HP. The only way to get 30 HP out of exhaust is to put on headers too. Then your up around the 30 HP range. But this is all a lot more than $60 too. About $600 for the exhaust and $700 to $800 for the headers.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:23 PM   #15
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
grouch is right the stock cat flows really well and no need for a high flow at all
save your money and put into something else
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:31 PM   #16
mdodge
GLS member

mdodge is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mdodge
I agree with all. Not sure if this statement is accurate...but I heard that when you remove the cat....you gain 1mph for every 100mph. Woopdeee freakin doo daa daay.
mdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 07:21 AM   #17
n8tureboy

It' a BIG no no for anyone in Canada, Even here in Labrador ( Where they don't even do emmissions testing ) if you get caught without one, your car will be pulled off the road........ I've seen a cop get under and tap on the cat to make sure it wasn't empty.... (Of course the cop was just looking for violations because the guy i was riding with was mouthing off at the cop.)

I wouldn't bother...

N8tureboy
Old 10-27-2004, 12:05 AM   #18
1WhiteOSV

We don't have emissions testing in IL, but if you're caught w/o a cat, you can get a very heafty fine. No exhaust shops around here will cut off a cat or even install a high-flow cat w/ an o2 simulator because it is illegal. I can't imagine a shop actually allowing a customer to come in and pay $60 to have theirs "hollowed out". If you have exhaust laws in your state, that shop could get fined hardcore if they did a job like that to a car that drove up. Only time they can do that stuff is if it's trailered up and trailered back because it's for off-road use only.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:34 AM   #19
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
its not illegal IF the car is 5 years old or 60,000 miles.

highflow cats are good on old cars, when they made cats differently, id only change it if your doing the whole exhaust, or if you damaged your oem cat somehow (highflow's are cheaper thean oem)

there are hundreds of variables why 1 fiero is faster than the other, besides thats oranges to apples.

oh, and the fine, is like $10000 or maybe it was $20,000...pass emissions or not pass or even if you dont have emissions in your state, like me in minnesota, if you get caught without one, your hosed.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:36 AM   #20
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
its not illegal IF the car is 5 years old or 60,000 miles.

highflow cats are good on old cars, when they made cats differently, id only change it if your doing the whole exhaust, or if you damaged your oem cat somehow (highflow's are cheaper thean oem)

there are hundreds of variables why 1 fiero is faster than the other, besides thats oranges to apples.

oh, and the fine, is like $10000 or maybe it was $20,000...pass emissions or not pass or even if you dont have emissions in your state, like me in minnesota, if you get caught without one, your hosed.