Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
jwateland
GX Member

jwateland is on a distinguished road
help! horn slip ring

does anyone know of a how- to on taking the steering wheel apart or how- to install a newhorn slip ring?
jwateland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Buy a haynes manual. I did it a little over a year or so ago. The manual will tell you pretty much everything you need. Before you go taking anything apart in the steering column make sure you disconnect the air bag in the fuse box on the driver side.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
isnt the horn switch integrated into the air bag itself? am I even thinking of the same piece / part? lol

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
jwateland
GX Member

jwateland is on a distinguished road
it isn''t the switch it's the metal ring that makes contact to the signal column
jwateland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:09 AM   #5
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgear View Post
isnt the horn switch integrated into the air bag itself? am I even thinking of the same piece / part? lol

I think your thinking of something else. The multi-function switch has a pin that sticks out and pushes up against the horn contact ring. The ring is the purple thing in the pic.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:23 AM   #6
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Disconect the negitave battery cable and disconect the airbag in the driver side fuse box. Its yellow.

1. Take off the steering column covers. 3 torx screws. I can't remember what size. No. 30 bit?

2. Remove the airbag from steering wheel by taking out the two No. 30 torx from the back of the steering wheel.

3. Pull the airbag away from the steering wheel and unplug the horn wire and airbag connector. The horn wire turn conterclockwise and pull it out. The airbag connector is on the back of the airbag.

4. There should be a mark on the steering wheel and a mark on the steering shaft so you can line everything up when putting the wheel back on. If there aren't any make some.

5. Pull the steering wheel. You may or may not need a steering wheel puller. I did. If you don't own one you can borrow one from autozone.

6. Under the steering wheel is the clockspring. When it is on the steering shaft there are two marks that are lined up, they need to stay that way. The clockspring has a locking device on it so it shouldn't turn with the steering wheel off. Its still a good idea to put a piece of tape across it just incase. There is a snap ring that hold the clockspring in place. It just pulls of the shaft after the snap ring is off.

7. Under the clockspring is the horn ring. Its held in by a snap ring of sorts, its not like the other snap ring. I had to use a 90 degree pick to get this on off. There is a spring that is pushing on the back side of the contact ring so you may need 3 or 4 hands to get the snap ring off. After putting the new contact ring on you have to depress the spring behind the ring, which is the biggest bitch of the whole job

I'm sure I left something out somewhere since I had done this a long time ago. If anyone has anything else to add go for it. Hope this helps you out.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:27 AM   #7
Midgear
on vacation

^^ whoo that is some helpful information.. I love this forum

Old 08-07-2008, 11:53 PM   #8
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgear View Post
^^ whoo that is some helpful information.. I love this forum

Wish I would have taken pics when I did it. I'm not pulling all that shit off again just to take pics though.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:53 AM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Be sure to keep away 9V batteries from the leads to the airbag.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post

Jack-in-a-box?
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:58 AM   #11
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post

Unless you want this to happen....
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #12
black
Thread Crapper

black is on a distinguished road
sweet, i have not had a horn in close to 2-3 years...

i asked about this last year, (??)

now i have something to do this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
I now know how to chronically please rectums
black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #13
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
Unless you want this to happen....

something tells me if you were working on your wheel, and that accidentally happened... it might hurt a bit.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #14
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
ya it would hurt, but luckily it's impossible to happen unless you really want it to go off (finding the right wires and hooking up power to them, 9 volts min.)
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #15
black
Thread Crapper

black is on a distinguished road
great, it is a dealer part.

i dont like calling them..

anything for aftermarket????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
I now know how to chronically please rectums
black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #16
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by black View Post
great, it is a dealer part.

i dont like calling them..

anything for aftermarket????

Not that I know of. I picked mine up from the dealer, $22 something.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:10 AM   #17
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
something tells me if you were working on your wheel, and that accidentally happened... it might hurt a bit.

Yeah, it doesn't look like it would feel too good. That was a friend of mine that set it off. The camera man is another guy he knows with the crazy laugh.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:20 AM   #18
Midgear
on vacation

LOL that bag instantly inflated.. that would crush human bones rofl

could you imagine that slappin someone upside the head.. that would knock someone out for a solid week..

Old 08-12-2008, 02:30 AM   #19
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
Strap one to your chest for when you grind on a girl who's got a man at the club. hahaha.. PWNED!
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #20
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
bumping this....

My horn ring just fubar'd itself (broke in like... 18 spots. I have pics and video) and the clock spring has a huge crack in one spot.

NO IDEA HOW THIS HAPPENED. But because of it, i lost the ability to steer(it locked for a mintue until i broke it free) turning signals are detached (won't steer with them on) and a horn.

Yes... just what I wanted to do... I'm also at work with a 20 mile drive home.

anywho.. bump so I can find it later.