Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 03-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #1
|Rev|

Hey guys, since I have decided to keep the Alero, I have a couple options I want to run by you guys and see what you think.
Mainly I want my alero to be a show car, but I can't stand how slow it is right now, and at the very end of this summer, that is going to change. This is what I need from you guys. Do you think I should:
A - swap in the 3400 and start to mod it
B - Turbo the 2.4l I have now
C - keep the 2.4l I have now, and do the 2.3l HO hybrid?

Realistically, any of these could happen, but I want to plan it now, so I can set it as a goal and work towards it. Just tell me what you guys think would be the best way for me to go, I'm not making it a race car, but I want to make it somewhat fast.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:04 PM   #2
jackal

I'm glad to hear your keeping your car, I personally would turbo the engine. If you don't want a race car then go with the turbo, it will add a substatial amount of hp an torque to the car.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:11 PM   #3
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
i honestly wouldn't do anything like that...because if your like me, once you decide to sell a car, your going to. even if you 'changed' your mind, it'll only be a couple of months before you decide to sell it again........but thats just how i am

sorry for crapping up the thread
Old 03-08-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
|Rev|

Quote:
Originally posted by mike2002@Mar 8 2005, 08:11 PM
i honestly wouldn't do anything like that...because if your like me, once you decide to sell a car, your going to. even if you 'changed' your mind, it'll only be a couple of months before you decide to sell it again........but thats just how i am

sorry for crapping up the thread
yeah, I see where you are coming from, because that's what I told myself at the beginning of winter. But I kinda want to do this, because it's something different than what everyone else does, and I waver sooooo much with my "plans" that I want to get a plan, stick with it, and prove to myself and everyone that I can do it.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:24 PM   #5
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
I would say a turbo 2.3l HO hybrid, because the 2.4's are pritty weak as is...

Or maybe do a Ecotec swap, with like the Gmpp s/c eco outta the cobalt ss B)

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:03 PM   #6
99BLKALERO

turbo what you have...less work and decent outcome...
Old 03-08-2005, 04:37 PM   #7
IndyAlero

Turbo...

Old 03-08-2005, 04:46 PM   #8
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Be the first to but a lawnmower engine in one....or the Turbo..your choice.

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 05:05 PM   #9
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
turbo, the 3400 is expensive......trust me. its aftermarket is just expensive........
Old 03-08-2005, 05:26 PM   #10
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
if you're doing a swap...why not go to the 2.4 Ecotec? Might be a little pricey NOW, but will save you $ in gas, and later when money's caught up, there will be an aftermarket for it.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:25 PM   #11
flalero

Build up your current motor and then turbo it. Remember, you can use parts that say they are for the Cavalier and Sunfire.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:30 PM   #12
wy3134

if you swap any engine, your best bet is the 2.0L ecotec, theres already a huge aftermarket for it, and its only gonna get cheaper with the new cobalt SS being on the market...plus you can get one supercharged for around $2200 (i remember a 2.0L supercharged ecotec out of an ION went for about $2200 on ebay) and ill guarantee that price will drop significantly once they get on the market and into the junkyards...if i by some chance keep the 'ho thats what I will do, but highly doubt that since id like to be able to buy my second dream car, but more reality type than the supra, a saleen Mustang. (suprising those things have more power stock than a roush stage 3! and u can find a saleen from around 2002 for just under or over $20,000 with low mileage)
Old 03-08-2005, 07:54 PM   #13
Travis99Alero

turbo what u have now.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:31 PM   #14
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by |Rev|@Mar 8 2005, 01:59 PM

A - swap in the 3400 and start to mod it
B - Turbo the 2.4l I have now
C - keep the 2.4l I have now, and do the 2.3l HO hybrid?

D - donate money to Kyle to help with his turbo project!!!!

come on, i'll let you drive it on the 1/4 when it is done....
Old 03-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #15
|Rev|

That's what I was thinking, turbo what I got... What's that site that has the turbo set ups for the 2.4l? It was like induction dynamics or something dynamics, or maybey not, but I liked a few of the setups they had... Any links would be appreciated
Old 03-08-2005, 10:11 PM   #16
|Rev|

jk, I found it. It's exploitedracing.com is what I was thinking of
Old 03-08-2005, 10:32 PM   #17
flalero

I am having trouble finding turbo kits, but I have found some super kits and links to other 2.4L sites:
Andy's autosport super (RSM)
Super Street Article about turbo kit for 2.4L
Induction dynamics (doesn't look like they have a turbo kit, but they are developing a turbo manifold for 2.4)
Old 03-08-2005, 10:35 PM   #18
RAVAGE214

id build a 2.2 ecotec for boost, just build it up in your garage and keep you stock poop in there, the ecotecs a great engine and will pay off in the end. And a tubo ecotec can make some impressive power.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:13 AM   #19
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
I'd go turbo what you have. actually i am going turbo on my 2.4. it's kinda funny...i've never seen that vizzion kit before but that whole kit is exactly what i have planned as a "custom kit", i have the same turbo and everything....except i'm putting in a 3 inch turbo-back exhaust.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:29 PM   #20
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by RAVAGE214@Mar 9 2005, 03:35 AM
id build a 2.2 ecotec for boost, just build it up in your garage and keep you stock poop in there, the ecotecs a great engine and will pay off in the end. And a tubo ecotec can make some impressive power.
second that

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote