Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 01-21-2016, 03:41 PM   #1
dschroed
GX Member

dschroed is on a distinguished road
Question Aftermarket Steering Wheel

I tried looking around but couldn't find much besides it's a pain in the ass to remove, and how to fix horns. I'd like to be able to install an aftermarket hub and quick release, with a 6 bolt aftermarket steering wheel, but I haven't seen any done, and couldn't really find hardware on ebay. Does anyone know anybody that was successful in doing this?
dschroed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
First, stop looking for parts on eBay, unless they are OEM parts being sold by a GM warehouse/dealer. Waste of time, waste of money, cheap crap crap crap crap. Did I mention that it's pretty much all crap?

GM likes to use the same stuff across many differnt model lines/years. Makes modding/swapping parts easy. If you are looking at a good quality steering wheel, they should have a hub adapter to make the wheel work.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:49 PM   #3
dschroed
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
First, stop looking for parts on eBay, unless they are OEM parts being sold by a GM warehouse/dealer. Waste of time, waste of money, cheap crap crap crap crap. Did I mention that it's pretty much all crap?

GM likes to use the same stuff across many differnt model lines/years. Makes modding/swapping parts easy. If you are looking at a good quality steering wheel, they should have a hub adapter to make the wheel work.

Lol. It might of been mentioned. Generally they have NRG hubs and adapters, but I couldn't find any suited for the alero or a grand am (searched for a 99 year on both. correct me if im wrong in doing so). Any other models and years that might be an option?

I'm not really looking for any other factory steering wheels. I'm more interested in aftermarket, like MOMO or Sparco. But like I said earlier, I have seen NRG hubs and adapters all over ebay before. I just haven't found any specifically for our cars.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Thats what have. Mustang kit, quick release and tiny little race steering wheel. The ON/OFF switch it inside the hunb, while the set/cancel/resume buttons had to have tiny little holes drilled in the back of the case, the the hub, and zip tied into place. The mustang's was going to wired on toggle switches, simple. The alero's cruze control is however much, much more intricate. The factory wheel cracked when pulling off, the hub had to be drilled out, then pulled off and adjusted for square steering several times. My turn signals are still bit lopsided. The hub is wrapped in cheap rubber shit, the quick release is really nice to have, but to use it with the horn plugged in would be completely impractical. The quick release with 50,000+ miles now on it offers a good 1/8" of play. The pleather on the steering wheel it holding up well, but the stitching is pulling apart in the back.
If your going to do it you need time, budget, and patience.
And if you do it, make sure you get a factory sized wheel. Maybe a 1/4" max smaller. Mine is tiny, now that I'm used to it it's not bad but switching to the cruze I realize how nice the larger wheel is. It's amazing much more leverage that extra inch gives you.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:10 PM   #5
dschroed
GX Member

now THAT'S what im talkin about. That looks awesome. Thanks for the info papa! I may skip the quick release if that's the case. I just liked the option more than the everyday use. Good Stuff.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:11 AM   #6
Babyblue
GL Member

Babyblue is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
Thats what have. Mustang kit, quick release and tiny little race steering wheel. The ON/OFF switch it inside the hunb, while the set/cancel/resume buttons had to have tiny little holes drilled in the back of the case, the the hub, and zip tied into place. The mustang's was going to wired on toggle switches, simple. The alero's cruze control is however much, much more intricate. The factory wheel cracked when pulling off, the hub had to be drilled out, then pulled off and adjusted for square steering several times. My turn signals are still bit lopsided. The hub is wrapped in cheap rubber shit, the quick release is really nice to have, but to use it with the horn plugged in would be completely impractical. The quick release with 50,000+ miles now on it offers a good 1/8" of play. The pleather on the steering wheel it holding up well, but the stitching is pulling apart in the back.
If your going to do it you need time, budget, and patience.
And if you do it, make sure you get a factory sized wheel. Maybe a 1/4" max smaller. Mine is tiny, now that I'm used to it it's not bad but switching to the cruze I realize how nice the larger wheel is. It's amazing much more leverage that extra inch gives you.

Are you going to be at homecoming this year? It so I can't wait to see the progress on her! Are you still rocking the rotor, pads and calipers I sold you?
2004 GLS #40 of the final 500. 3500 swap and F-40 6-speed.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:56 AM   #7
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Are you going to be at homecoming this year? It so I can't wait to see the progress on her! Are you still rocking the rotor, pads and calipers I sold you?

yep! now 228,5XX miles. I just did a motor mount and belt yesterday. She still lives on!
Old 01-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #8
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
I cant wait for homecoming. Best vacation ever.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:35 PM   #9
dschroed
GX Member

Out of curiosity, what is homecoming? Obviously a meet of some sort, but when, where, and how long?
Old 01-24-2016, 07:42 PM   #10
1970cs
GX Member

1970cs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschroed View Post
Out of curiosity, what is homecoming? Obviously a meet of some sort, but when, where, and how long?

Yes, the Alero group meets up at the Ramada inn for the weekend Friday-Sunday and caravans to the Homecoming meet.

http://www.reolds.org/homecoming.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvXTde8lj74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHuBiMsOClA

Pat
1970cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:17 PM   #11
dschroed
GX Member

Interesting. Would be one heck of a drive, but the lot looks massive.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:51 PM   #12
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Its a darn good time! But we get less people to show up year after year (for the alero meet) some of us still go every year though, no matter how big or small the group is, its always nice to get away from real life and hang out with people who have the same intrest as you. I enjoy it.

Aside from that "homecoming" is a all olds car show, and it is glorious.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:54 PM   #13
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Why would anyone want to remove an air bag from their car. It saves so many more lives than not. I would not have my Mom still if it weren't for an air bag. Also your insurance company might void any payments due to tampering with or removing an air bag.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:33 AM   #14
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Why would anyone want to remove an air bag from their car. It saves so many more lives than not. I would not have my Mom still if it weren't for an air bag. Also your insurance company might void any payments due to tampering with or removing an air bag.

Because it was fun to set off in the driveway!

BUT, very good, on topic, points to be made.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:31 PM   #15
dschroed
GX Member

I suppose I didn't think about that. At the same time, I only pay for liability so they aren't going to be giving me jack either way. Also, I see some five points in my future, so I don't know if my face would ever hit the steering wheel without my head leaving my body.