Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 05-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #21
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
mine fit in. the bushings were a real bastard though. just took lots of wiggling and squeezing

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #22
Starglow
GX Member

Starglow is on a distinguished road
If you put the end links in first then the bar should pretty much line itself up where the bushings go. As I said on your post over on GAO, the new bushings are a bit taller than stock, but the grease able Energy Suspension bushings I bought are the same height as stock.
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:51 AM   #23
PJGrandAm
GX Member

PJGrandAm is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I failed and grabbed random sized ES regreasables not realizing that the bracket would be a different size, so now I'm stuck with 2 sets of bushings I can't use or sell.... at least i got them for cheap. Anyone have a size for the bars? I still haven't seen anything about that.

I put the bar on the links, this did not help any, the bar still needed to move forward a bunch for the bushing bracket to fit in the slit, and then it wouldn't fit in correctly. I even had someone hold the other end while messing with one side.

Last edited by PJGrandAm : 05-28-2012 at 01:54 AM.
PJGrandAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #24
Starglow
GX Member

A few of my front swaybar install pictures....

I hope these pictures are of some value to anyone who bought the new swaybars and are deciding if they want to tackle this job themselves or not. It's not overly difficult but does require some time and patience along with a few bruised knuckles and bumps on the head. It can be dangerous if you're a novice mechanic and don't really know what you're doing so seek out an experienced helper if you're unsure of your mechanical abilities.

The installed swaybar in place....1999 Pontiac Grand AM SE

Passenger side view...I used the bushings sent with the bars and the stock brackets. I tried installing Energy Suspension greaseable bushings but the supplied brackets simply would not mount correctly even with modifications.

Driver's side view....I'm still struggling trying to get the new endlinks installed.

I ended up putting a few shim washers under the stock brackets on each side to account for the extra swaybar thickness over stock because the bracket bolts would never bottom out on the subframe like stock with these bars and I wanted the bolts to be rock solid tight.

Better view of installed bar.....

A few other tidbits....I highly recommend removing the intermediate steering shaft from the steering rack before dropping the subframe. Simply lift up the rubber boot and remove the pinch bolt, then push the intermediate steering shaft up and off the stub on the steering rack. Sorry I did not take a picture of that, but it's real simple although working space is a bit tight in that area.

Finally, my car does not currently have an engine installed because I'm in the process of doing a 3500 engine swap, so I attached my engine hoist to the transmission to hold it up while I loosened the trans mounts and lowered the subframe. I hope to drop the 3500 engine in next weekend weather permitting and will install the new rear swaybar after the engine is installed.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #25
PJGrandAm
GX Member

That is nice that you didn't have an engine, you have a couple more inches than I do to work on the brackets. The tops of my brackets keep hitting the cabin frame when trying to install.

Your bar also looks like it is set straight in the bracket, you wouldn't happen to have a pic of your bar pre-install? The part where mine mounts is in an awkward angle compared to the rotational axis. (see above pictures. I compared the bar to stock, and that section is definitely at a different angle than stock. I am about to delve back into installing the bar anyways. I figure I should be able to at least get one mount bolted down and then bend the bar back to bolt the other bracket down.

Last edited by PJGrandAm : 05-29-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #26
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGrandAm View Post
That is nice that you didn't have an engine, you have a couple more inches than I do to work on the brackets. The tops of my brackets keep hitting the cabin frame when trying to install.

Your bar also looks like it is set straight in the bracket, you wouldn't happen to have a pic of your bar pre-install? The part where mine mounts is in an awkward angle compared to the rotational axis. (see above pictures. I compared the bar to stock, and that section is definitely at a different angle than stock. I am about to delve back into installing the bar anyways. I figure I should be able to at least get one mount bolted down and then bend the bar back to bolt the other bracket down.

front bar
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #27
PJGrandAm
GX Member

Well with a ton of elbow grease, I was able to get the bar in. I'm afraid the bar might be messed up though. It definitely doesn't sit even close to straight in the bushings. I don't know whether to try and pull the passenger side bushing out and mount it the correct way or not because it was so gnarly trying to get the bar in. Mine definitely doesn't settle the way yours does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-05-29_12-07-50_110.jpg (88.8 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-29_12-08-12_640.jpg (86.8 KB, 159 views)
Old 05-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #28
PJGrandAm
GX Member

So I put my new endlinks in, i stripped the old ones when hitting the bolt with the hammer. I sprayed some brake cleaner (that stuff works on everything) and hammered the heck out of it until they came out. The energy suspension spacer is a mm or two longer than stock, so I decided to reuse the stock spacer by boring it out and cutting the tabs.

I have a new problem. I cant get my rear trans mount bolts to line up with the subframe holes..... I'm looking into maybe putting a board under my trans and jacking it up, then jacking the subframe up? Figured I would keep up to date with you guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-05-29_13-20-29_509.jpg (73.1 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by PJGrandAm : 05-29-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #29
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
good idea to be putting some assembly grease (for those of you using non-greasable bushings) inside the bushings where the bars contact and a thin coat on the outside where the bracket contacts. help against wear and tear/assembly/ and noise.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #30
PJGrandAm
GX Member

OH MY GOD YES!!!!!! Time to do the rear. I wasn't aware that rear transmission mount could move, I was able to position it correctly and then re-lift the subframe. It handles so good I almost don't even want to do the rear bar, I'm afraid of the pure sex that will ensue afterwards.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #31
mfuller

Quote:
...... It handles so good I almost don't even want to do the rear bar,
Yes, you do want to install the rear bar.
We'll hear no more of this nonsense.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #32
Starglow
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
good idea to be putting some assembly grease (for those of you using non-greasable bushings) inside the bushings where the bars contact and a thin coat on the outside where the bracket contacts. help against wear and tear/assembly/ and noise.

I used whatever grease PFYC sent with the bars. I did purchase Energy Suspension grease-able bushings and while the bushings themselves fit great, I simply could not get the supplied brackets to work right for this application. Too bad Energy Suspension doesn't make vehicle specific brackets instead of taking the more generic one size fits all approach.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #33
PJGrandAm
GX Member

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, had to go test out the GA. Anyone have any ideas on how to clean human body fluids out of the interior? If I have got these a long time ago, I probably would have waited longer to buy my AGX's and Eibachs.

This is an amazing upgrade from stock with all polyurethane bushings and well worth the money. There is absolutely no nose dive taking corners any more. I haven't had any problem with the rear wanting to come out, and the suspension is fairly neutral which is nice. I haven't noticed any luxury hit with the polyurethane and stiffer bar, everything feels more solid now too which is a big plus. I can't wait to see how the car acts with the AGX, Eibachs and Grand Prix lateral arms.

Thanks a bunch for the write-up 03sleepr, it helped a bunch.

+rep
Old 05-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #34
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
I'm getting anxious to get these damn bars on.....all these good reviews makes me excited! I have the bars/strut mounts and hubs all in my back seat. Gonna do the hubs and rear brakes this weekend.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #35
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Thanks a bunch for the write-up 03sleepr, it helped a bunch.

+rep

no problem! I enjoyed making it, it also helped so I didn't rush through the install. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
I'm getting anxious to get these damn bars on.....all these good reviews makes me excited! I have the bars/strut mounts and hubs all in my back seat. Gonna do the hubs and rear brakes this weekend.

hurry up and get them on!

Last edited by 03Sleepr : 05-30-2012 at 02:51 AM. Reason: catn speel
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #36
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
ok, can somebody tell me what kind of swaybar you all are installing?
What are the technical specs?

otherwise, so far it looks pretty good. And good to know how far I can lower the K-Member, cause my chassis points there are really rusting out
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #37
PJGrandAm
GX Member

Well when I loosened the front bolts and took out the 3 rear bolts on either side, as well as the 3 rear trans mount bolts, the frame lowered about 3-4 inches. The stock bar was harder to get out of there than the Speedbuilt bar from PFYC. The only trouble is the brackets, at least on my bar, the others' bars look like they fit fine.... I needed another set of hands to get the last bracket on, I recommend starting with the passenger side.

I'm pretty sure the front bar is roughly 26mm (If i had to guess, 26.8) and rear is roughly 22mm (22.2)

The biggest difference from stock (that you will notice) is not better handling, but better weight shifting when cornering. The car rolls more sideways than forward now (as well as much less roll), which allows better traction as the weight distributes more evenly on the tires. Don't be mistaken for elimination of G-forces, I definitely feel these much more . This is because your body no longer wants to fall out of the car so much as slide out. I must say the handling has improved quite a bit though, the stiffer rear bar definitely helps with the turns.

Last edited by PJGrandAm : 05-31-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #38
mrmike
GL Member

mrmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Is the bar supposed to curve upwards or downwards? If mine curves downwards it touches the edge of the subframe beside the brackets. I took a little bit off the bottom of the bushings because there was no way they were going on with the stock brackets. I only took less than a 1/4" off the bottom, that shouldn't have lowered it enough to bottom out, right?
Old 06-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #39
Starglow
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
Is the bar supposed to curve upwards or downwards? If mine curves downwards it touches the edge of the subframe beside the brackets. I took a little bit off the bottom of the bushings because there was no way they were going on with the stock brackets. I only took less than a 1/4" off the bottom, that shouldn't have lowered it enough to bottom out, right?

The bar ends should curl upwards at the endlinks. See the pictures I posted earlier. The stock brackets will fit the new bushings, however the brackets won't bottom out against the subframe when bolted down due to the extra thickness of the new swaybar. I shimmed mine with a few washers so the bracket bolts could be securely tightened down as seen in the photos.

I finally got the new Moog endlink bushings installed, but I had to use the spacers from the old stock endlinks in order to get them to fit.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #40
PJGrandAm
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post

I have a clunking on my right side that I haven't figured out, I also cut my bushings. I wonder if this is what is happening, it is already decently close to tapping the control arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
The stock brackets will fit the new bushings, however the brackets won't bottom out against the subframe when bolted down due to the extra thickness of the new swaybar. I shimmed mine with a few washers so the bracket bolts could be securely tightened down as seen in the photos.

Semi-true; the reason it won't bottom out is because of the extra height of the bushing, which is because the bar is fatter. Even with the bar bigger, they could've supplied bushings that would fit perfect, I am starting to think there is a reason they are taller. I think I might go back and take the brackets off one day and put the washers in like you did. I just dread that day with a passion.