Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 05-15-2014, 12:47 AM   #1
MiLo
GX Member

MiLo is on a distinguished road
wanna hear a story? Flood Water Sucks!!

So it was raining like crazy 2 days ago we even had flash flood warnings. Lots of places got flooded on my way home from work. Like about 2 miles from my house my dumb ass was following other idiots through flood water and this guy gets stuck right in front of me. So as I try to go around him and this truck is coming my way and splashes even more water my way then I get stuck in the damn flood water. There's maybe 10-12" I'm stuck in. Car shuts down, so I wait maybe 10 minutes tops as this guy in a pickup truck helps push my car out of the water. I wait till it stops raining but by that time there is a little seepage on the front carpet and the car wont start (I'm talking 3 f#@k!n hours Heavy Rain). So I get it towed to my house, let it sit over night. In the morning i knew the car wouldn't start cuz the water got in everything, so I went and got new oil new air filter and oil filter. Did the oil change and there was literally so much water in the engine it took 2 full oil pans to drain. the 1st pan was all water. the 2nd was a lil more water then the oil started coming out. Mind you, it took at least 3 seconds to dump the pan and put it back to catch the rest of the shit coming out the engine (didn't expect it to be sooo much water). After the oil change I checked the air filter and sure enough, that sh!t was water logged. Got that drained and dried then checked the tubing to the throttle body. That sh!t had water. The box on top of the throttle body had water so I drained and dried that. From the lever of the throttle body to the top had water all on there so I can imagine what's inside there. I didn't even mess with the car after that. So I let the car sit today and tried starting it when I got out of work. Lights work, No Crank, No Start, but I hear the clicking when I turn the key. What else should I do before I consider replacing the starter? Is it possible the spark plugs need to be replaced? Someone please give me good news before they tell me to junk my car.. lbvs.
JVC kw-hdr720 Double Din Head Unit
Polk Audio DXi691 Coaxial & DXi461 Plate Speakers
White/Glossified Plasti-Dipped OEM 15" Rims
Red Painted Brake Calipers & Drums
CarDomain home page is pretty much before pix.
The after pix haven't been taken yet... Still under construction

Last edited by MiLo : 05-15-2014 at 12:51 AM.
MiLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:50 AM   #2
MiLo
GX Member

i read something about hydrolock??? starting the car without the spark plugs will release the water that is stuck from the engine? Does this sound right? and my car will start after that?
Old 05-15-2014, 01:57 AM   #3
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Well, the car wouldn't need to be junked, and you can source an L61 pretty easy. They came in the Cavalier, Sunfire, Grand Am and first 2 years of Cobalt, although I'm told the Cobalt's L61 is different.

You need to get the water out of the cylinders... I'm not sure how you can do it, considering that the Ecotec is dual cam and has the spark plugs in the center instead of the side, but you probably flooded the whole engine. It may still be salvageable. What I wonder is if your PCM fried or not because a bad PCM will also make the engine click but not start. My friend fried his on his Stratus after a battery change. Turns out it had an electrical problem. The car wouldn't get any fuel.

With that said, lets start this at a basic level. Can you hear the fuel pump prime? If you can, then we might be looking for issues between the electrical and under the hood. You would then have to check the fuel pressure in the rail. The goal is to eliminate fuel problems first and work to the worst of the possibilities.

Also, if you can get the starter out, take it to Advance Auto or Auto Zone. They can test it for free. Take the Alternator as well. It may give you problems because alternators and water don't mix.

If everything is a dead end, then I'm betting the PCM fried when it got washed in the flood.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited

Last edited by Nas Escobar : 05-15-2014 at 02:02 AM.
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:24 AM   #4
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
Yes, if you take out the spark plugs then you should be able to shoot out the water from the cylinders when you turn over the engine. You have to be careful though if anything is bent (con rods, etc...) Also check any computers that might have been fired or fuses that could have blown due to shortage.

Good luck with it!

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:29 AM   #5
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Well, the car wouldn't need to be junked, and you can source an L61 pretty easy. They came in the Cavalier, Sunfire, Grand Am and first 2 years of Cobalt, although I'm told the Cobalt's L61 is different.

You need to get the water out of the cylinders... I'm not sure how you can do it, considering that the Ecotec is dual cam and has the spark plugs in the center instead of the side, but you probably flooded the whole engine. It may still be salvageable. What I wonder is if your PCM fried or not because a bad PCM will also make the engine click but not start. My friend fried his on his Stratus after a battery change. Turns out it had an electrical problem. The car wouldn't get any fuel.

With that said, lets start this at a basic level. Can you hear the fuel pump prime? If you can, then we might be looking for issues between the electrical and under the hood. You would then have to check the fuel pressure in the rail. The goal is to eliminate fuel problems first and work to the worst of the possibilities.

Also, if you can get the starter out, take it to Advance Auto or Auto Zone. They can test it for free. Take the Alternator as well. It may give you problems because alternators and water don't mix.

If everything is a dead end, then I'm betting the PCM fried when it got washed in the flood.

I've been having electrical problems with this car to begin with because the top of my windshield was peeled back and water running down my A-pillar right into my fuse panels of my dash. But I've gotten my windshield resealed recently and haven't had any problems since. Where is the PCM located? Is that under the passenger side dash under the glove box or is that the BCM?

I just had my alternator and battery replaced like 3 months ago. I will be pissed if it is that. But I don't know because my lights & radio work fine it's just not turning over.

Is that the sound I hear when I turn the key on then off? Fuel pump prime? As I turn the key, ACC (lights & radio go on), On, Start (*click*like it wants to start then nothing, lights go off, everything dead) turning all the way OFF (***beeping then buzzing/vibrating***)

Where is the rail located? for fuel pressure?
Old 05-15-2014, 03:17 AM   #6
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
My girlfriend's Ecotec Alero had a full cold air intake and went too deep in flood water and hydrolocked it right on the spot. I pushed it out of the water and pulled all plugs, removed the fuel pump relay and the upstream O2. Cranked it quite a bit of times trying to get the water purged out of the system. After about an hour and a half the car was up and running and that same engine still works to this day... The Starter ended up taking off a couple teeth on the flex plate which ended up having to get replaced which meant that the engine had to come out anyways. But god damn those Ecotecs are built to last. I gotta say I was impressed.

Edit: forgot to mention that it was our 7th year anniversary and we were at the Cafe where we had our first date. We watched as other cars get towed away, but not her Alero! Makes for one hell of a story.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:19 AM   #7
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vella's Alero View Post
Yes, if you take out the spark plugs then you should be able to shoot out the water from the cylinders when you turn over the engine. You have to be careful though if anything is bent (con rods, etc...) Also check any computers that might have been fired or fuses that could have blown due to shortage.

Good luck with it!

Now that I know what its called " hydrolock" I'm looking on Youtube and they all seem to be ok by doing this when Their engine gets flooded. Where/when do I have to worry about bending rods warped pistons etc? Is it over turning the engine minutes at a time trying to get the water out? this is when I would think it would happen, heat + no lube = bending/warping. Should I do it in say 10 sec intervals?
Old 05-15-2014, 03:25 AM   #8
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwnath View Post
My girlfriend's Ecotec Alero had a full cold air intake and went too deep in flood water and hydrolocked it right on the spot. I pushed it out of the water and pulled all plugs, removed the fuel pump relay and the upstream O2. Cranked it quite a bit of times trying to get the water purged out of the system. After about an hour and a half the car was up and running and that same engine still works to this day... The Starter ended up taking off a couple teeth on the flex plate which ended up having to get replaced which meant that the engine had to come out anyways. But god damn those Ecotecs are built to last. I gotta say I was impressed.

So her electrical was ok? nobody mentioned anything about the fuel pump relay!!!! lol . damn I dont wanna f#@k my car up, I can't afford to buy anything new/used right now... i really don't wanna buy a new starter if I don't have to..
Old 05-15-2014, 03:28 AM   #9
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Yup. Electrical was all fine. The only thing you have to worry about getting fried is the PCM and they're pretty good when it comes to water/moisture. All the other sensors are also water resistant so I wouldn't worry about it. And yes I do recommend pulling the fuel pump relay because you're not trying to fire up the engine and adding gas to the mixture just makes things worse.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:32 AM   #10
MiLo
GX Member

this is why i hate the midwest. every season is brutal. terrible & ridiculously long winters, super wet spring time, outrageous heat/hummidity in the summer. and feels like we don't even get the fall season. just jumps straight into winter. somedtimes you get every season all in 1 friggin day. believe that! but I love it cuz sometimes you need a change of scenery. plus its my home. lmao. damn this sh!t drives me nuts!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:36 AM   #11
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Yup. Electrical was all fine. The only thing you have to worry about getting fried is the PCM and they're pretty good when it comes to water/moisture. All the other sensors are also water resistant so I wouldn't worry about it. And yes I do recommend pulling the fuel pump relay because you're not trying to fire up the engine and adding gas to the mixture just makes things worse.

Well you give me some hope Young Boondock! lol.. Thanks I feel a lil better.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:37 AM   #12
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Trust me man, I know how ya feel. We had a storm here too today and my HVAC blower decided to quit on me briefly so all the windows started fogging up. Wasn't fun at all.

Love that show man. They just started airing it again lol

Old 05-15-2014, 03:41 AM   #13
MiLo
GX Member

<-----Pimp Named Slick Back........... lmao...
Old 05-15-2014, 03:43 AM   #14
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Uncle Ruckus is the best lol He got the opposite of what Micheal Jackson has haha

Old 05-15-2014, 03:49 AM   #15
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Uncle Ruckus is the best lol He got the opposite of what Micheal Jackson has haha

lmao..

alright i'm loggin off thanks for the input ya'll.. will update!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:50 AM   #16
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLo View Post
lmao..

alright i'm loggin off thanks for the input ya'll.. will update!

Good luck man!

Old 05-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #17
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLo View Post
Now that I know what its called " hydrolock" I'm looking on Youtube and they all seem to be ok by doing this when Their engine gets flooded. Where/when do I have to worry about bending rods warped pistons etc? Is it over turning the engine minutes at a time trying to get the water out? this is when I would think it would happen, heat + no lube = bending/warping. Should I do it in say 10 sec intervals?

Yeah, it is hydrolocking. If you are worried about bending rods or valves it is now out of your hands because that would have already happened. If it is a manual car, then don't...DON'T try to push start on a gear.

Once you take the plugs out, you can crank to your heart's desire because it won't effect anything other than your battery. Just keep cranking until no more water flies out of the engine and then fit everything back, change the oil and filter again just to be sure and hope for the best.

When mine hydrolocked last September, I did this and just removed my injectors (diesel car) and cranked, then when everything was put back together it ran fine but had a slight bend in one rod from the initial suction of water.

If you need anything else, let me know buddy.

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #18
MiLo
GX Member

ok so i found these spark plugs at walmart.. are they a good choice for now? i'm on a real tight budget at the moment. would i need to gap these to any specification?

and where exactly is the fuel pump relay & upstream o2 located?

Last edited by MiLo : 05-15-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #19
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Autolites work my car has ran autolites...fp relay is in the under hood fuse box which should have a diagram under the cover...upstream o2 is behind your motor around the downpipe heatshield
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #20
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Direct OE Iridium Replacement for a couple cents more if you're willing to wait for shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

One of them even ships right from Illinois.