Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 06-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #21
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLw7123 View Post
well the engine is off so there are no noises to make.

I think he's talking about the shift plus is on the engine makes a noise, and when the shift plus is off there is no noise.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #22
the_weber
GL Member

the_weber is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLw7123 View Post
well the engine is off so there are no noises to make.

-Optima yellow top. This battery went end over end in my jeep (not strapped down) 13 times for 75 feet. and now is in my alero. one tough battery
-Cleared Corners/Painted Bezels
the_weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #23
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
well what kind of noise does it make when it is plugged in.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.

Last edited by JLw7123 : 06-17-2011 at 07:58 PM.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #24
the_weber
GL Member

lol no offesne but it had to be done

almost like a grinding noise, soft though, not like screeching or nothing
-Optima yellow top. This battery went end over end in my jeep (not strapped down) 13 times for 75 feet. and now is in my alero. one tough battery
Old 06-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #25
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
does it happen when it up shifts or down shifts or both. also i am thinking that it might be ur tranny making the noise.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #26
the_weber
GL Member

maybe it is the tranny, it happens in idle, I dont know if it happens while I am actually moving because i don't hear it.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:17 AM   #27
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
if your trans was slipping badly then its usually bad to increase the line pressure (what shiftplus does) because it puts extra strain on trans parts and often smokes it faster..the grinding is probably your transmission on its way out.

NOT SAYING THIS IS 100% TRUE!
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #28
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_weber View Post
maybe it is the tranny, it happens in idle, I dont know if it happens while I am actually moving because i don't hear it.

Its the transmission pump, When my tranny went in to limp mode temporarily (wouldn't shift out of second, and shifted with max line pressure) it made a whining/grinding noise.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:08 AM   #29
the_weber
GL Member

it only slips at high RPMs like 6500. and it only happens when the shift plus is on. you sure that would be the pump?
Old 06-18-2011, 01:13 AM   #30
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
No doubt the shift kit added 3 seconds to your to your 0-60 time. Sounds more like the "butt-dyno" (no big deal, we all felt that way when we were just starting out in the modding area) but I also have no doubt the kit did not help you out a little bit.

Shifting harder will cause less wear to the clutches, so althought they feel like you might be hurting something, you're actually not.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:19 AM   #31
Philbar71
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_weber View Post
it only slips at high RPMs like 6500. and it only happens when the shift plus is on. you sure that would be the pump?

I was talking about the noise at idle. Im not sure about the slipping at redline?
Old 06-18-2011, 01:30 AM   #32
the_weber
GL Member

Well it only makes that noise at idle. and red dog we timed it again and again. Now that it shifts when its supposed to its much quicker. acceleration hasnt changed or anything just now it doesnt redline
Old 06-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #33
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
mine makes a noise too. im assuming there is a pump inside the trans and its spinning faster for increased pressure? (i could be totally wrong im no where near a trans expert)
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #34
the_weber
GL Member

so it might be just nothing then?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #35
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
I would suspect the fluid pump inside the trans also. Mine has started to make more noise, similar to a Ford power steering pump, also in the last few months. The noises started to be noticeable about the same time as I was finally able to get the engine to run properly in closed-loop mode, it probably started to actually use the ECM tuning rather than the defaults (harder/faster shifts). There are also some internal parts in these trannies that GM upgraded from plastic to aluminum over the years, service notes indicate that the plastic pistons would crack and leak fluid (noises) while still functioning fairly well. Newer trannies already have the better parts installed so if you are going to swap one through a junkyard try to find the most recent one they have... I suggest checking/changing the fluid and filter to get an idea of whether any real damage is happening. Adding a trans cooler and gauges to monitor heat and pressure might help you keep it happy longer also. Oh, stay away from the redline also, power peaks well below that point.
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #36
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
the noise IS the pump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no worries, drive and enjoy
Old 06-21-2011, 01:40 AM   #37
Philbar71
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
the noise IS the pump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no worries, drive and enjoy

Since you put it that way... I just orderd mine! Should be here thursday or friday along with springs