Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 05-27-2011, 12:58 AM   #1
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Replaced hoses today

Hey, just giving a little insight on this job.

3400 V6 LA1 motor*

I noticed that my upper rad hose was collapsed with the car cold and sitting for almost 24 hours so it was time to fix it, before it left me stuck on the side of the road somewhere.

On the way to my mom's house (where I do a lot of my car work, esp under car work) I'm thinking about the lower rad hose. It is also orginal with the same 130,150 miles on it in it's 11 years of service, so I figure it's a good idea to replace BOTH hoses since I'm losing coolant anyway.

I do the lower first. The OE clamps are tight and a real PIA, but neither hose needed to be cut off. I remove the upper hose clamp, most of the coolant goes in my catch pan and now it's time to do the lower clamp on the lower hose. What a pain in the balls. I got it off by removing the bolts from the fender liner (just the bolts along the edge) and squeezing my hand up behind the panel with the A/C condenser bottle in front of it. I use my other hand to hand myself the clamp pilers and then postion the piler ends on the clamp and squeeze and pull. Don't wory, I didn't forget to pinch my finger on the AC clutch

Couldn't get the pilers to get the stock clamps back on. Plus I broke them a little bit (return spring) so I jump in mom's car and head back over to Pep Boys to pick up some regular worm clamps. The parts guy kinda chuckeled a bit because he asked me if I wanted clamps or not and I said no when I picked up the hose

Clamp them down and it's sung and secure, so I move over to the upper hose. Very little probelm here. I did have to remove the battery and battery tray to get the clamp on the rad, but it's cool, It gave me the chance to clean up some wires for my mirror compass, train horn, and oil gauge sending unit. The replacement hose is a bit longer than the stock. It kinda pushes the battery cables down a hair because getting the battery back in place was a bit hard. I had to repostion the battery a few times. Not really a big deal.

Start the car and checked for leaks. No leaks, no overheat, decent temp for a 90* day.

Get home, water level in the bottle is perfect, before I go to work (car sat for almost 9 hours) water level still the same

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
iv found in my experence that if you remove a hose and the springclamps and then reuse the clamps. they will have a tendincy to leak. id go with worm clamps all the way.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I've reused the spring clamps plenty of times. Really depends upno how bad shape they are in.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #4
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Man I changed my lower rad hose and those clamps are a bitch...I ended up putting on the screw style hose clamps.