Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
Bent up brake line...

So, Long story short, I slid off the road in to a ditch on a rainy evening. I put a few small dents in the rear quarter pannel and cracked the rear bumper. The biggest issue is the brake line. Its the one that goes to the passenger side front tire coming from the ABS module thing. How hard is it to replace? Anybody ever done it them selves?
Old 07-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
can you take a picture to be 100% sure what your talking about? just so we know as a fact instead of guessing. but like any brake line its not that hard if you have done them before
Old 07-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
well if you have to replace your brake line go with the stainless steel brake line. I am also interested in some pictures. I have the stainless steel braided lines and I really like them.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.

Last edited by JLw7123 : 07-05-2011 at 09:30 PM.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:19 AM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
I have done almost full brake lines on a 92 ranger... If u dont wanna do stainless then buy a brake line tool to bend the lines and buy some brake lines... Its pretty easy just gotta figure out how you want to bend them, unless you can find them pre bent for the car.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
Philbar71
GL Member

Its a crappy cell pic, but you get the idea. I started moving it around and bending it back in shape but it broke at the connection. Is there any way to maybe re terminate the end on the nut that screws in to the rubber line?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
I think you gotta follow it all the way to where it leads and replace it. Maybe... Ive never looked under the rubber things to see what is in them.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
robalero
GLS member

follow the line to where it ends and replace it from there, if not your not getting the proper fluid to your brakes
Old 07-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
Philbar71
GL Member

I just straightened it out, cut off the bent and kinked section. then went to advance auto and got a brake line with the ends already flared and rented a flare tool and patched it together. So far its holding, no leaks.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
That works but be careful about getting inspections done, I believe it's illegal to re-flare brake lines, but I could be thinking of something else.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
robalero
GLS member

your thinking of something esle, fuel lines is where thats not legal to do as if it ever leaks and your unaware and someone throws out a cigarette while stopped at a light or something you can just imagine the outcome
Old 07-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #11
mfuller

Generally, hard brake lines are tough the bend back into shape because the material is so thin.
I wouldn't mess with it; get the entire line replaced.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #12
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by robalero View Post
your thinking of something esle, fuel lines is where thats not legal to do as if it ever leaks and your unaware and someone throws out a cigarette while stopped at a light or something you can just imagine the outcome

i dont think your right about that either. you could install a fuel filter and not tighten it enough... have a leak and someone could still drop a cig. however compression fittings on brake lines are illegal. regular unions are ok.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
Generally, hard brake lines are tough the bend back into shape because the material is so thin.

steel brake line is a pain in the ass because is so stiff. if you use the copper-alloy lines its truly night and day. you could make a pretzel and straighten it right back out.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #14
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
#1. Dealer can supply you with a brake/fuel line "kit". Has all lines in one package, real nice and clean but your going to spend a few bucks. Well worth it imo.
#2. Delco supplier here has coated brake line now. Really nice stuff and wont corrode like normal line. Also is really easy to work with, bends easy and has the life of stainless!

I know you have fixed your problem already but might be good info for anyone looking into brake lines and were to come across this topic
MMGT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #15
Philbar71
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post

these stock steel lines are no joke tho. They are a complete PITA cause they are so thick and hard.