Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 03-04-2004, 12:00 AM   #1
5spdAlero

after driving my car for a while it will bog in 1st gear until 3000 RPM. It does not do this in any other gear. I was wondering if anybody knew what was wrong and how i could fix this mess.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:35 AM   #2
Final-Reality

Clutch starting to slip?
Old 03-04-2004, 07:14 PM   #3
Spy

if the clutch slips you wouldn't be boggin last I drove a car w/ a slipping clutch

it doesn't grip and you tend to rev almost as if you were in nuetral.. and than it grips than it doesn't than it does.. than it doesn't.. type sort of thing.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:51 PM   #4
velocity

Well I've got over 70K kms on my car and I've not had that problem. But my cousin had an '02 Alero ecocrap with a 5spd and he was telling me about a problem he had with 1'st gear chatter at about 3k rpm. Said that he fixed it by putting heavier synthetic gear oil in his tranny.

I'm not sure if you're having the same problem but if it only happens in 1st gear then it sounds line a tranny problem to me....might be a place to start.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:51 PM   #5
Final-Reality

Yeah thats true spy I figured thats what would happen, but then I thought that if the clutch was just starting to slip it would probably only do it in first since thats when it puts the most torque down to the wheels..

Anyways it's probably not the clutch, and I thought of another thing it could be: that's just the way the engine is. My 2.4 does the same thing around the same RPM (but I have the automatic), if you nail the throttle from idle it'll pretty much jump up to about 2600-3000rpms, then it won't climb as fast for some reason and at about peak torque (4400rpms) it'll start climbing faster and faster to roughly 6000rpms, and then it starts to slow down again because it's getting out of its powerband, until 6500rpms where it shifts.... unless it "bogs" really bad, that might be all that it is... lousy engine tuning or something, I don't know.. but it's always done it in my car too and I always found it quite annoying because it hurts acceleration a lot bogging down for that long
Old 03-05-2004, 01:57 AM   #6
Spy

the lack of power in certain parts of the rpm range I know all about htat

2500-3000rpm.. a bit of a lag than the car picks itself back up from 3000-4500... than after that it's the scream that makes or n-body's creme.. hehe.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:19 PM   #7
Jetfix

Is it just first? check your timing, also (I know this sounds bad, and is probably not the problem but there's always that chance) water leaking into one of the cylinders, watch for white smoke out of the exhaust, also check and make sure none of your spark plug boots have cracks in them, small cracks can be easily missed.