Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 11-25-2005, 12:38 PM   #1
zachzach

I was looking to make my alero faster and was thinking about rsm racing 2.4 cams around 1000 dollers.

Is there cheapier ways to get 15 hp with out going to nos?

I neeeed speed!

let me know what you all think.

current mods:
header
lowered
rims and tires
CAI intake
jet racing module
Old 11-25-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
do you have cat back exhaust done?
if not that would help.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
also, the b&m shiftplus would make you quicker, as well as some new pulleys.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:07 PM   #4
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
you can do the secret cam swap for cheaper...
Old 11-25-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
Quote:
Originally posted by 2000_olds_alero@Nov 25 2005, 06:07 PM
you can do the secret cam swap for cheaper...

well you gotta let him on the secret first pat..
Old 11-25-2005, 06:39 PM   #6
zachzach

i have cat back exhaust, also have crank pulley, and its a 5 spd which needs work(under warranty) so i will be getting flywheel and stage 3 clutch also short throw shifter.

whats the cheap cam swap?
Old 11-25-2005, 08:35 PM   #7
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Try here for the "secret cam" swap

http://www.ny-jbodies.org/library/engine/2....4camsecret.asp
Old 11-26-2005, 08:42 PM   #8
Spy

Quote:
Originally posted by zachzach@Nov 25 2005, 11:39 PM
i have cat back exhaust, also have crank pulley, and its a 5 spd which needs work(under warranty) so i will be getting flywheel and stage 3 clutch also short throw shifter.

If you don't plan on doing any forced induction, stick w/ the SPEC stage 2 clutch, and lightened flywheel.

A 1995 2.3L quad intake cam, and a 1991-94 quad 2.3 exhaust cam would be a cheaper and cost effective cam solution.

theraceshop offers a pretty wicked header that should fit the 99+ n-body cars, its' absolutely rediculously awesome.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:01 PM   #9
zachzach

Quote:
Originally posted by Spy+Nov 26 2005, 08:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spy @ Nov 26 2005, 08:42 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-zachzach@Nov 25 2005, 11:39 PM

If you don't plan on doing any forced induction, stick w/ the SPEC stage 2 clutch, and lightened flywheel.

A 1995 2.3L quad intake cam, and a 1991-94 quad 2.3 exhaust cam would be a cheaper and cost effective cam solution.

theraceshop offers a pretty wicked header that should fit the 99+ n-body cars, its' absolutely rediculously awesome.
[/b][/quote]

i already have the header and it awesome
Old 11-27-2005, 08:28 PM   #10
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
the RSM cams are not worth the money. the lift requires machining to the cam towers which is no big deal but the high duration is too much for the 2.4 meaning the rsm cams are based off the w-41 cams and require a higher max rpm which would be around 7200-7400 and our motor won't get there. so they will not produce the max power they could.

go with the secret cam swap or the JBP cams. they have good report and half the cost. the secret cams will run ya $100-$150 for about the same hp.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:03 PM   #11
keepitsimple

i got the 95 intake and exhaust cam for 50 $ together at a junk yard, sucked to get out tho, half the xar was sunk in mud, i had to break the cam cover and pull em out that way,.

but i noticed some rust on the cam i need, and i was wonderin if it was ok to use some oil and an sos pad to remove it, my friend seems to think its ok, other wise im gunna see about getting it ground at a machine shop
Old 11-27-2005, 11:14 PM   #12
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
not sos..................use scotchbright. it will not remove as much material as the sos. also the sos could scratch it.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:16 PM   #13
keepitsimple

where can i get some scotch bright, and will this cam be safe to use? thanks
Old 11-27-2005, 11:19 PM   #14
Oldsman
Owner

you can get scotchbright at walmart, home depot.............any place like that. normally in the kitchen cleaning section. and it is safe to use. make sure either green or red. brown is too ruff.