Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 03-10-2006, 02:11 AM   #21
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally posted by lethalero01@Mar 10 2006, 12:50 AM
ive been hearing that a interceptor transmission helps out alot anyone have any exp. with it????

you're talking about the AutoTrans Interceptor. there's also the B&M ShiftPlus. they are both electronic shift improvers. they make the automatic transmissions shift quicker and harder. I've never used the Interceptor but i have the B&M on my car and it works great. plus its got 2 different settings you can switch to from in the car and you can turn it off if you'd like, neither of which you can do with the Interceptor without getting under the hood. it'll help a little in acceleration, but you'll really benefit from it if you have engine mods to go with it. either way its a good mod to have.

to answer the question of "is it worth it to make my alero faster"...like others have said...it depends on you and if you like your car and are willing to spend some money and time on it. to me it is worth it. i ended buying my alero after the 2000 Z24 cavalier i was going to get was bought an hour before i got to the dealership issed: issed: i never really intended to make the alero super fast but i like the car and wanted a little more pick up...like you.....only the tuning bug bit hard.....and i ended up building a turbo kit for my car

you can always start with small upgrades like a new air intake, cat back exhaust, new pullies, you know....the "bolt on" mods. then once you get into it and want more power (it always happens so dont deny it ) you can upgrade other things like adding a header and high flow cat to the exhaust, maybe a full cold air intake, new cams....things like that. it all depends on what you want out of your car. any other questions you have just keep asking...thats what the forums are for.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:40 AM   #22
lethalero01

appreciated...that was tha best reply yet...i have tha money to spend thats not a problem...till you get into tha 1000's...i was just flaming on my alero...im going to stick with it...and make it quick...so would you recommend tha tranny first...or wait till i get alot of tha bolt-on stuff first???
Old 03-10-2006, 05:41 AM   #23
FutureEcotecOwnerAgain

I would go ahead and buy a CAI, exhaust, header, and some pulleys. Then worry about the B&M shiftplus for the car. I'm not sure if you posted this, but what engine do you have in your car?
Old 03-11-2006, 03:12 AM   #24
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by 03EcotecAlero@Mar 10 2006, 05:41 AM
I'm not sure if you posted this, but what engine do you have in your car?

check the top of the forum...it says "2.4L Twin-Cam Specific Questions"

Quote:
appreciated...that was tha best reply yet...i have tha money to spend thats not a problem...till you get into tha 1000's...i was just flaming on my alero...im going to stick with it...and make it quick...so would you recommend tha tranny first...or wait till i get alot of tha bolt-on stuff first???

if it were my car, i'd go ahead with a new air intake (true CAI), a header, 2.25" magnaflow high flow cat, a 26" dynomax thrush magnum glasspack, 2.25" piping and a straight thru muffler of your choice. a true CAI is a little on the expensive side so you can always look for a short ram intake on ebay for a 95-02 cavalier Z24. i had one that i got for 40 or 50 bucks i think. same with the header and magnaflow cat....check ebay. i'm not positive on the header but the cat you can get for 50 or 60 bucks.

the glasspack/resonator will quiet down the exhaust considerably if you dont want it super loud so its up to you on that. you can get one on summitracing.com for 20 bucks - part no. WLK-24205. then have a local exhaust shop bend 2.25" piping for you and attach any straight thru muffler you choose at the end. plus, as said earlier, you can add lighter crank and alternator pullies which will allow the engine to rev quicker and aid in acceleration. the shift improver (whether you choose the interceptor or the b&m) you can install at any time before or after any of these mods...so its up to you.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:21 AM   #25
lethalero01

perfect!!!!!!...thats how you reply to a newbie strugllin with his ride...greatly appreciated
Old 03-11-2006, 03:40 AM   #26
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by lethalero01@Mar 11 2006, 03:21 AM
perfect!!!!!!...thats how you reply to a newbie strugllin with his ride...greatly appreciated

no problem. i've been there.....and every little bit helps when you're tryin to learn about your car. feel free to ask any other questions you have.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #27
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

battistoni21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to battistoni21
Hey spilner, thanks for posting thoroughly, I got some good information on that.... I just got a borla cat back and i already have an aem short ram on. Im goin with headers next. What type of headers do you have? I was thinkin of getting the OBX SS ones. After that im going to get a shiftplus kit and then some new pulleys. You think thats a good start?
battistoni21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:57 AM   #28
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by battistoni21@Mar 12 2006, 09:11 PM
Hey spilner, thanks for posting thoroughly, I got some good information on that.... I just got a borla cat back and i already have an aem short ram on. Im goin with headers next. What type of headers do you have? I was thinkin of getting the OBX SS ones. After that im going to get a shiftplus kit and then some new pulleys. You think thats a good start?

the AEM short ram and the borla cat-back are a good start. i actually dont have a header. i have a exhaust manifold that the turbo mounts to...its a little different. the OBX header should be good, especially if its stainless, or there's the Pacesetter header. either way make sure the one you get says its for the 2.4 engine. while you're at it, you might as well get the magnaflow high flow cat with the header. make sure you match the pipe size on the cat to the cat back piping. there's no point in adding a header and a catback exhaust if you keep the stock cat. it'll cause a lot of restriction going from the header, down to the 2" cat piping, then back up to the cat-back piping.

i dont know how the borla exhaust sounds, but usually if there's just the muffler at the end, its a little to loud, especially when you add a header...in my opinion anyways...maybe you like the louder exhaust. if you'd like, you can add a glasspack as i stated before. you just have the straight section of the exhaust pipe right after the cat cut off and replace that piece with a glasspack....the longer it is the quieter it'll be, yet it'll still have that aggressive sound to it. its up to you on that.

the shiftplus and lighter pullies sound like good upgrades and after you're finished with all these, it should be a decently quick car and fun to drive. keep us updated.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #29
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

battistoni21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to battistoni21
YES. Thank you. infact i'm going to order a new highflow cat. Thanks for the help man. MUCH appreciated
battistoni21 is offline   Reply With Quote