Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 06-22-2004, 05:06 PM   #1
j{}n
GL Member

j{}n is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to j{}n Send a message via MSN to j{}n
well i'm sure most have you saw the "i'm screwed" post in 'anything off topic', so it's pretty safe to say that i need a new engine. i was wondering if it would be possible, wise, and legal (something about older engines in new cars?) to put in the w41 HO engine. 190hp, right? sounds good to me. i'd be having a shop do the work. would i need some sort of pcm upgrade?
a northstar swap is waaaay out of the question... to damn expensive, plus i'd need a new tranny. thoughts, anyone? especially oldsman, final, and what's his name... i forget. you 3 seem to be the most knowledgeable on the subject
Old 06-22-2004, 07:21 PM   #2
Final-Reality

Do you have emissions testing where you live? If so, then it's out of the question, unfortunately...

I'd do some serious research into how much the 2.3 W41 swap would cost you, then some more research into how much a stock 2.4L TwinCam + GM Supercharger will cost you. The supercharger kit puts out 190HP as well, plus it leaves much more headroom for (cheap) upgrades, such as a pulley, header + free-flowing exhaust, larger TB etc etc, for relatively little (more) cash, you can have the TwinCam + Supercharger kit easily in the 225-250HP range.

Just some food for thought, because a W41 engine itself is going to be probably double what a stock TwinCam will run you...
Old 06-22-2004, 07:53 PM   #3
j{}n
GL Member

no way, i never would have guessed. oh, and we do have emissions. what about the ecotec 2.4? i heard those are pretty good
Old 06-22-2004, 08:27 PM   #4
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a 2.0 ecotech S/C crate engine available now for something like $3500 US.

Same setup as a saturn ion redline/cobalt SS. 205 HP i believe, and the engine is still making power at redline! so increase the redline with a chip, and increase your HP.
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:25 PM   #5
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
to do the W-41 you have to go back to the old ORB-1 since we have ORB-2.

there is ways around emissions but then you use your car racing or car shows, parades. stuff like that.

a W-41 will run ya around $2000 less tranny.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:56 PM   #6
j{}n
GL Member

yeah, the 2.3 is kinda outa the question, and i highly doubt a supercharged ecotec would be comparabley priced to a regular 2.4. anyone know about the 2.4 eco? what about the 3400?
Old 06-22-2004, 11:48 PM   #7
Final-Reality

The 2.4 ECOTEC isnt currently available anywhere because it hasnt been put in any cars, yet. Plus it uses variable valve timing and an electric throttle control so there's no way you'd actually get the 2.4 ECO running in your car, although it is quite simple to bore/stroke out a 2.2L ECOTEC to that displacement, if you wanted.

But again the cheapest way to get 190HP would be with the TwinCam and supercharger combo, because while that S/C ECOTEC crate engine actually doesnt run too expensive, it's not available yet. They're still waiting emissions testing and who knows how long that could take...
Old 06-23-2004, 12:00 AM   #8
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
with gm it takes forever
Old 06-23-2004, 12:09 AM   #9
`2000redalero

we need a chat room added to aleromod...

i'm seeing all these times so close together lol
Old 06-23-2004, 03:06 AM   #10
99ALERO

throw that in there! LOL its out of my friends grand prix GTP

2.4 ECOTECH is not out till next year in the Cobalt if you want the 2.4 Eco your better off goin with the 3400 because you will get more torque out of the 6
Old 06-23-2004, 03:41 AM   #11
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
Quote:
Originally posted by `2000redalero@Jun 22 2004, 10:09 PM
we need a chat room added to aleromod...

i'm seeing all these times so close together lol
There is one, sort of. I set up one on my server.

desolate.wasteland.org

#aleromod

Hopefully once Nick moves over to a new server he can get around putting in a chat interface so you guys don't have to get an IRC client. Or maybe Nick could host a download for a free IRC client.
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:14 PM   #12
j{}n
GL Member

i heard (probably on here) that the supercharger won't work with an auto. something about there not being a pcm upgrade for it, only the manual. also, if i switched to the 3400, would i need anything besides pcm upgrade? not sure if the 3400 and the 2.4 have the same trannies...
Old 06-23-2004, 07:33 PM   #13
Final-Reality

No there's an auto PCM for the supercharger kit, both N- and J-Bodies
Old 06-23-2004, 10:19 PM   #14
j{}n
GL Member

hrmph... i might have to look into that... if i could get a supercharger out of this mess for a decent price, i'd be one happy lil mofo. about how much would the super/2.4 combo cost?
Old 06-23-2004, 11:29 PM   #15
Oldsman
Owner

$2900 for the S/C kit and comes with everything. even includes the reflash.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:43 PM   #16
j{}n
GL Member

ok, so $2900+how much for the engine?
Old 06-24-2004, 10:00 PM   #17
Final-Reality

Depends on mileage, and year, make sure it's out of a 2000+ alero or grand am, just search a junk yard for a low mileage one, shouldn't run you more than $1000 for a fairly low mileage one...
Old 06-24-2004, 10:24 PM   #18
Oldsman
Owner

i've seen them for like $600 for motor.