Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Paint and Body Work

Old 03-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
01OhioAlero
GX Member

01OhioAlero is on a distinguished road
Rust repair

Beneath both back doors and the quarter panels I just noticed rust is appearing. Its not to bad and hasnt rusted through. Only the paint is just starting to peel off there. How would you guys go about repairing it? I dont want to take off the sideskirts for it. I will throw up some pics when I get home.
01OhioAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
It has rusted through. You just don't see it all yet.

You have to take off the side skirts and cut out the affected portions and weld and shape new metal in place of it.

Or you could just take off the skirts and strip the area down completely and just absolutely coat it in a rust inhibitor (like Por-15), I'm talking thoroughly, everywhere. Total soaking of the whole area. Then prime and paint with multiple layers. If there's no holes visible you could just cover it up for a bit I guess.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #3
GaryC
GX Member

GaryC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
It has rusted through. You just don't see it all yet.

You have to take off the side skirts and cut out the affected portions and weld and shape new metal in place of it.

Or you could just take off the skirts and strip the area down completely and just absolutely coat it in a rust inhibitor (like Por-15), I'm talking thoroughly, everywhere. Total soaking of the whole area. Then prime and paint with multiple layers. If there's no holes visible you could just cover it up for a bit I guess.

Does anyone make that repair panel yet? Seems everyone in the rust belt could use them eventually..
GaryC is offline   Reply With Quote