Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Paint and Body Work

Old 12-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
WreckItRoth
GX Member

WreckItRoth is on a distinguished road
Grand Am GT skirts on Alero

When i bought my car it had rust behind the door and back. Its been driving me crazy so i stopped the rust and filled the holes to stop it from getting worse. I bought the side skirts of a grand am that someone i knew was junking. They should fit and cover the rust, has anyone else done this before? What are your thoughts?
WreckItRoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah someone on here awhile back posted a photo of them having SE grand am side skirts on there alero, imo doesnt flow but hey, to each their own.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
There's been a couple guys with full body kits that have used the grand am gt side panels... looks ok but still out of place on the alero...
pretty sure it was crazy taxi with the aed kit and fisdad with the razzi kit...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Nope, both used razzi sides for the razzi kits they had.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:19 AM   #5
WreckItRoth
GX Member

Yeah im really iffy on it. I've done alot of work making everything cleaner and under the hood I've spent alot of time. I just hate seeing that damn rust... such am eye sore and its a pretty big section i don't want to try bondo and skirts look like the better option.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:23 AM   #6
WreckItRoth
GX Member

If i do go through with the skirts i might change out the front bumper with the Razzi one. (i believe that's who makes it)
Old 12-06-2014, 12:59 AM   #7
sleepyalero
GLS member

Even better, take it to a shop to cut out the bad, replace with good metal, and seal the area for rust prevention, thats what i would do.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
Do you have a coupe or sedan?

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Old 12-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #9
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Even better, take it to a shop to cut out the bad, replace with good metal, and seal the area for rust prevention, thats what i would do.

I read your sig. You have a honda with a fart can so nobody asked you, go away ricer

Really though this is probably the best bet if you want the car to last.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
sleepyalero
GLS member

You can thank oldsnut for that sig, im to lazy to change it. Lol
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #11
WreckItRoth
GX Member

I have a coupe. Its got the 2 ribs not the tight 3 like some of earlier grand ams. I was debating fiberglassing it after sanding out the ribs so it would be smooth on the sides almost like a grand prix's but im not sure how well everything would work with the plastic. I bought the car for 500 and rebuilt the engine and dropped a different tranny in but haven't done body work. I just would really like to clean up the outside so its not just under the hood that looks nice
Old 12-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #12
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

If you're going to fiberglass the skirts you might as well just fiberglass the car... it'll come out much cleaner and more smooth than with the gt panel... especially if you don't have the piece to go on the door.... sand down as much rust as you can and use POR15 then fiberglass... if you're not taking it to a shop this will last for a while... mine lasted like that for 3 years before the rust came back out lol

Old 12-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #13
WreckItRoth
GX Member

true. Some old lady owned the car before and the rust really didnt look bad when i bought but this last winter just destroyed it. It was like chunks coming off lol the repair i did was pretty redneck but it stopped the rust and mainly stopped snow and salt getting in. Ill post the pictures on here. Nothing pretty just a temporary fix.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #14
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

Trust me i know redneck fixes... i cut the rust from my rocker and put in some gutter mesh then slapped it with fiberglass and Bondo.. nothing pretty but it held for 3 years... if the pictures still show check my thread titled tequila... lol

Old 12-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #15
WreckItRoth
GX Member

Not something pretty but from a distance you cant see it and its better than big gaping holes of rust.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #16
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

I'd sand off the foam and just fiberglass right over the mesh... looks like mine but i didn't use foam lol...

Old 12-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #17
WreckItRoth
GX Member

Yeah the foam was mainly just a step along the way of my original plan to put the skirts on. Stop the rust, then cover lol In no way does it look good but it was getting so bad and the rust holes were just growing bigger and bigger. The rust has stopped at least for now and hopefully it prevents build up this winter. Its my daily driver
Old 12-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #18
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

I just got home and checked and saw they were no longer there... I copied them from facebook... here ya go!

and how it was 3 years later...

I had never attempted body work before this car... I got the car for a bottle of tequila, so I figured I could practise on this car... I learned afterwards there was much more sanding etc that should have been done to smooth it out before paint, and that I probably shouldn't have used tape to tape off the area for paint, but just to overspray to blend it... lots of useful learning on this car...

Looking back, I should have removed the skirt and taken the mesh right down under and fiberglassed all the way under then reattached the skirt... rather than just blending it halfway lol... the mesh went halfway in the door as you can see from the rough glass picture above... goes right up under the rubber trim... but it held... unfortunately the rest of the car didn't... by the time she was scrapped, I blew a brake line and we had to use a 4ft 2x4 on the jack so it didn't go right through the floor hahaha!

Last edited by tw0123 : 12-06-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:13 AM   #19
WreckItRoth
GX Member

Was the fiberglass weak? Like did any holes go through? Maybe I'm just paranoid but i was very worried about it cracking or getting holes easy because its hollow behind it. I wish mine was black man. I've never done fiberglassing or bondo but I've done alot of painting. I feel like if i can get the surface smooth and to flow with the body i could blend the paint well. Btw im curious about your grand am interior swap. I was curious about trying that with the interior of the GT i got alot of parts from i just never went through with it.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:52 AM   #20
_HeC_
GX Member

_HeC_ is on a distinguished road
FYI that foam is a bad idea, its like a sponge....

Tim did you actually use fibreglass first or just long/short strand bondo?

cut/weld is the way to go!
my truck last winter

needed to do both sides lol