Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 06-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
mbeals
GX Member

mbeals is on a distinguished road
Cam tower gasket

I will preface this with: "yes I searched"

My cam tower gasket is leaking oil into the center of the head (spark plug holes are oily). As I understand it, this is common.

I would like to replace the gaskets on both towers, but I'm wondering how much of the top end I will wind up having to pull off? If I were to find a set of secret cams, would it require much extra work to install them while I'm in there? How does this job rate on the PITA-o-meter?
mbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
the gaskets for the just the top cover of the cam towers isn't bad but both lower and upper gaskets is somewhat difficult and to do cam swap at that time would be best being you have to pull the cams to do the lower gasket
Old 06-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
PITA-o-meter rating: RELATIVE PAIN

In order (if I can think of everything correctly):
  1. Remove the serpentine belt.
  2. Drain the oil.
  3. Unbolt the power steering pump.
  4. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
  5. Remove the timing chain cover out of the vehicle for ease. You need to unbolt the engine mount (support the engine a bit) to slide the cover out of the vehicle.
  6. Remove the timing chain guides, timing chain itself, and the timing chain tensioner.
  7. Remove the camshaft sprockets.
  8. Unbolt the timing chain housing from the engine and water pump, and slide out of the way.
  9. Remove the camshaft tower covers.

There's your gaskets. Taking out the camshafts is only a matter of taking off a few more things. Don't drop the lifters (buckets) out of the cam tower if you do. If they do move around, make sure they go in the same spot they came out of. Reinstallation of the above is a little more precise. You need the bolt tightening sequence pattern, and know how to get everything in time.

Actually, since you're in Michigan, I could help you if you want. [EDIT] Then I looked at WHERE in Michigan you are... [/EDIT]
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
mbeals
GX Member

mbeals is on a distinguished road
Yea, I'm a ways up here. They should just label us as a canadian colony and be done with it.

I have been having an issue with the PS binding in the cold, so I'll plan on replacing that as well as the water pump at the same time (its the origonal with 110k on it).

How close are you to Detroit? My wife's parents live in Hazel Park, so I'm sure I could make a trip down state.
mbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm around Southfield a lot
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote