Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 06-20-2005, 01:37 PM   #1
UnoWHO

How to: Mount Various Electronic Devices Into the Glove Box

What i did: I did this to install a CB and PA system in my 2001 olds Alero(Im not sure if the design of the glove box department changed durring the years) lol I have a PA system now..I yell at ppl all the time :-P have fun.

Materials: 7mm Socket, Tape, Mounting materials(Whatever you feel like using), Drill bits for screwing holes through the plastic, and some patience.

1. Get a 7mm socket and unscrew the six bolts that hold the glove box in place.(There are two down under your feet on brackets and the rest are inside the inner rim of the glove box so itll havta be open, once again there is a total of six).

2. Pull the glove box out a bit and look at the light, the whole assembly with the switch and bulb will all come off. There are two "buttons" on the top and bottom of it, depress them and push towards you with the asemblly. Now pull the wire through the slot provided and pull the glove Box free.

3. (Optional If you are going to bring the glove box inside) Tape the switch so that the glove box light doesnt stay on the whole time.

**EXTRA** heres something that you can do while the glove box is out, in the space where the glove box was, you will notice toward the back the blower motor for the A/C system. Also to the left of it a pipe running from the bottom of the space to your right side air vent, make sure its connected...I checked mine after i took the box out and the pipe was BARELY on, now the vent works perfectly.

4. Once your in a place you can sit for a minute, inside the glove box when it is opened you will notice a piece of plastic that goes down in the space between the bottom of the box and the bottom of the door of the box. Its not a necessary piece and will only get in the way of what you are installing. Pull this piece off,(it will snap off and it will sound liek your breaking something but your not) you will see what i am talking about when you look for it, It looks like it shouldnt be there and is about 7 in long and only 2 and 1/2 high.

5. Fit the piece your wanting to mount and drill the holes you need to do the mounting.

6. Drill a LARGE hole towards the back the box to feed necessary wires through.

7. (Optional) Paint the mounting brackets you used black to give it a nicer, cleaner look

8. Place the glove box back in place, BE SURE TO REMEMBER THE LIGHT!!

9. Wire up the power cord for the device to either the battery or into the left side fuse compartment Sun roof fuse. (This fuse only works when the car is on).

10. Sit back and marvel at what a good job you did and how cool it is to have a piece of equipment hidden but functional in your car.

I will try and get some pics of what ive done, Cya all