Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 01-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
tsmitty025
GX Member

tsmitty025 is on a distinguished road
Car Won't Start

So, my car won't start, it just turns over and every once in awhile it putters like it's going to start but it doesn't... Sat out there for 5 minutes trying. Anyone have some ideas? I'm the only one home right now and I have two tests today. My gas is low, but not low enough for the gas light to be on. It drove fine yesterday, I put some new windshield washer stuff in it yesterday when I got home...
Old 01-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
security light on? leave the key in the ignition and turned to the ACC position and let it sit for about 10-20 minutes, go out there and try it again

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
tsmitty025
GX Member

Okay, just put the key in... The security light flashes while it's in the ACC position. What does that mean?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

yep its your passlock, it wont let you start your car with that light flashing, just leave it for about 10 minutes and go see if the security light is off, if it is the car should start normally, if its still flashing let it sit for another 10 minutes and check it again

Old 01-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

good luck with it but i have work now, but that should solve your problems, and if you get stranded somewhere else your going to have to do the same thing

Old 01-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
tsmitty025
GX Member

Thanks for the help. This is ridiculous though, I don't even know what the point of passlock is... what was GM thinking? Is there any way to bypass it?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
There is a way to bypass i've read, but it isn't a easy snip a wire and go type thing. Btw, when its sitting waitng, leave the key in the fully on position for at least 10 minutes. if you try to start it before the 10 minutes is up, even like 9.9 minutes, you have to start the process over.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
Here is a dumb question, but what exactly does the passlock system do?? I realize it is supposed to stop the car from being stolen, but how exactly does the passlock system think the car is being stolen?? If you are using a key, one would think it's not being stolen??
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
if your using a key thats slightly different... it'll prevent starting.... i think
Old 01-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
Kilroy
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
if your using a key thats slightly different... it'll prevent starting.... i think

You mean like if your own key starts to wear down?
Old 01-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #11
AndyT3
GL Member

AndyT3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AndyT3 Send a message via Yahoo to AndyT3
The way PassLOCK works is as follows. The ignition lock cylinder is programmed to look for a certain voltage, lets say 2 volts. When you take your key and put it in the ignition, your key is programmed for 2 volts, so with the key in the ignition, it completes a circuit and the car starts. If you take a key that fits, but is not programmed to the correct voltage, that circuit is not complete, and thats how PassLOCK knows you don't have the correct key.

FQuick - updated all the time
AndyT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
Kilroy
GL Member

But the key is just metal? Would an non-factory key that was recut create havoc with the passlock system then? Does this mean one should ONLY use an original GM key blank??
Old 01-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #13
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
But the key is just metal? Would an non-factory key that was recut create havoc with the passlock system then? Does this mean one should ONLY use an original GM key blank??

my spare (given to my by the dealer) is just a plain blank cut key. Not GM in anyway... it works fine.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #14
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT3 View Post
The way PassLOCK works is as follows. The ignition lock cylinder is programmed to look for a certain voltage, lets say 2 volts. When you take your key and put it in the ignition, your key is programmed for 2 volts, so with the key in the ignition, it completes a circuit and the car starts. If you take a key that fits, but is not programmed to the correct voltage, that circuit is not complete, and thats how PassLOCK knows you don't have the correct key.
wrong. Alero's don't have chips in their keys. Passlock just make the car touchy about worn out keys and locks up the radio if it's taken out to the point that a dealership unlocks it before it will work again
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:48 PM   #15
2004alero
GX Member

2004alero is on a distinguished road
i had the same issue but i was told it was because if the spare key isn't the exact match to ignition then the pass lock detects it. i ended up going to junk yard paying 10 buck for a different ignition switch and 2 normal keys.
2004alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
lord2heart
GL Member

lord2heart is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lord2heart Send a message via MSN to lord2heart Send a message via Yahoo to lord2heart
i didnt know you had to leave the key in the ignition on the on position or acc. whenever it happends to me i just take the key out, go inside my house, kill time, go back out and it'l start right back up. is it not suppose to do that?
lord2heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #17
AndyT3
GL Member

AndyT3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AndyT3 Send a message via Yahoo to AndyT3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson_waltz View Post
wrong. Alero's don't have chips in their keys. Passlock just make the car touchy about worn out keys and locks up the radio if it's taken out to the point that a dealership unlocks it before it will work again

Yeah now that you mention it. What system am I thinking of then? I've watched my dad (GM Master Tech) service quite a few of them at the Chevy dealership he works at. Sorry to the OP for the confusion

BTW, the feature your thinking of on the raido isn't PassLOCK it's TheftLOCK

Edit: I remembered the system I was thinking of, its PassKEY, not PassLOCK, sorry.

FQuick - updated all the time

Last edited by AndyT3 : 02-01-2010 at 04:56 PM.
AndyT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #18
mystery
GX Member

mystery is on a distinguished road
I replaced the switch interrupter commutateur and my alero starts up more flawless then before so don't jam the key when you crank the car other wise you will spend three hundred bucks.
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #19
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
im lost how was the key/ignition peice 200 picks, ive replaced two in two different fords, the peice is like 15 bucks autozone and about a 10 min ordeal if you take your time, as eazy as it is to get the guages and stuff out of the alero so you can reach in that area, how is it 300 bucks
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #20
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
because its a ford
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote