Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 05-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
wadedog
GX Member

wadedog is on a distinguished road
window motor

I know this is a common problem but i can't find a clear answer on how to replace the drivers side back window motor ( 4 door ).
I have the panel and plastic off and i don't see anything broken like clips or cables and the other windows are fine but this one won't go up or down, it was kinda acting up a couple times and then it quit all together.
when i hit a bump the window will drop down a few inches and i can lift up on it easily.
The motor doesn't make any noiuse or hum so i'm thinking the motor is shot.
what are the directions on replacing it ?
wadedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Its your regulator, and I'm not clear on how to replace motor/regulator eith, clarifacation please
Old 05-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
lord2heart
GL Member

lord2heart is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lord2heart Send a message via MSN to lord2heart Send a message via Yahoo to lord2heart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
Its your regulator, and I'm not clear on how to replace motor/regulator eith, clarifacation please

i could scan some pages of my haynes book on how to do that stuff, but wouldnt be able do that anytime soon. ganna be busy all night tonight and all morning tomorrow, but when i can i'l post them up if it helps
lord2heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
wadedog
GX Member

why would it be the regulator and not the motor Nate ?

thanks lord2heart I appreciate the help.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
lord2heart
GL Member

Send a message via AIM to lord2heart Send a message via MSN to lord2heart Send a message via Yahoo to lord2heart
aight, got them scaned, cant post them up, wont work for some reason, i can send it over to you by e-mail.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
What about the switch or broken wire?

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
lord2heart
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadedog View Post
I know this is a common problem but i can't find a clear answer on how to replace the drivers side back window motor ( 4 door ).
I have the panel and plastic off and i don't see anything broken like clips or cables and the other windows are fine but this one won't go up or down, it was kinda acting up a couple times and then it quit all together.
when i hit a bump the window will drop down a few inches and i can lift up on it easily.
The motor doesn't make any noiuse or hum so i'm thinking the motor is shot.
what are the directions on replacing it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsnut View Post
What about the switch or broken wire?

he said he checked
Old 05-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord2heart View Post
he said he checked
He said he found no broken cables or clips on the regulator. I asked about the switch on the door panel or the wiring from the switch.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
lord2heart
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsnut View Post
He said he found no broken cables or clips on the regulator. I asked about the switch on the door panel or the wiring from the switch.

well i was just asuming that he checked it, but i could be wrong though lol whatev
Old 05-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #10
wadedog
GX Member

I didn't really check into the switch or wiring. the wires all look good and the plug looks fine.
I would have to get a multi meter and check for power to make sure they are ok, I guess I shouldn't assume it's the motor before making sure of the little things first like the switch.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:38 AM   #11
wadedog
GX Member

the switch's are good. the front or the rear switch won't work the window but are fine on the others.

thanks for the scanned pages but it doesn't really clearly say what bolts and clips need removed for just the motor.

can anyone explain what has to be removed to get the motor only out ?

How about what other models of cars swap with a alero window motor, maybe i can find one in a junk yard, anyone know ?
Old 05-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #12
wadedog
GX Member

no one?
Old 05-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
the motor and regulator is one unit, and ya its the regualtor, happens all the time on the quality product gm puts out

ok here we go going to try to explain this the best i can over the internet so bear with me

remove the inner belt molding
the remove the window run channel
put the glass down remove the bolts, then move the glass off the regulator
remove the weather striping
your going to have to remove the vent glass too
should be a screw behing the vent glass molding if not it is held in by pressure and the door frame molding, push on the vent glass towards the front of the car wiggle it around should come right out
now with all the mentioned parts removed
remove the glass comes out so easy with all parts removed
remove the 10mm bolts to the regualtor
remove the regulator you should have enough room to wiggle it out the door

in my travles in the automotive field i have always kept pig tails from the cars i have done so i can check stuff like this out, or you could take alligator cliips put in some small rivest and get a cordless drill battery and check if it works before you install the new regualtor, its a habit of mine

ok
now with the new part installed,
the window goes in first but do not bolt it to the regulator just yet, leave it behind the regualtor
now put the run channels back in leave these loose too
reinstall the vent glass
weather stripping
now put the glass and bolt it to the regualtor, and at the same time put it back into the run channel understand??

on the rear glass there is no real adjustment, no back and forth no up and down it goes where it goes

thats it rela simple takes me like 30 mins to do this
if ya have a problem catch me on aim messenger
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #14
wadedog
GX Member

thanks bdyman

Well time has pasted and i never got my rear window fixed and now all the others are broke too except the drivers window up front.

So I really need to get busy but time is always hard to fine to get them done.

Can someone give good instructions on replacing the fronts.

Is there a fuse or something easy that i don't want to miss and needs to be checked first before replacing all the regulators ?
Old 04-18-2010, 02:21 AM   #15
wadedog
GX Member

Ok well maybe the front replacement is close to the same for the rear.

Is there a reliable place to order the regulators and motor assembly , napa, online etc..

I have read a lot of bad things about the ebay ones being junk so i'm not sure i want to waste time and money on those.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #16
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
i got mine at autozone. cost $112, but comes with a lifetime warranty. if it ever fails again, i just bring it back for a new one free of charge.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:21 AM   #17
wadedog
GX Member

well that doesn't sound bad, I would just hope it didn't fail every month .

thanks.