Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
kROntast1c
GX Member

kROntast1c is on a distinguished road
my car wont start

So my car has sat for a week in minus 30 weather for a couple days and when I went to start it, it wouldn't. So I know the battery is dead but. I hooked up a charger and I had the car running for a good half hour. And when I took the charger off the car stopped running. So I figure that it may be my alternator. So just wondering if anyone can confirm or deny my guess.
kROntast1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
You kept the charger on while the car was running? I would not do that!!!

When you had the car running for that 1/2 hour, were you driving it? Did you have a voltmeter connected to it?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Indeed-some more details about when it was running would be appreciated. Is the battery holding a charge? Need to see how it does without the charger but I would guess your battery is either totally dead or you alternator is not functioning.

But if you get it running, drive it, and if it and everything electrical just dies-alternator for sure. Any codes? My wife's car would crank but not turn over because of a crank sensor, but since you have managed to fire yours up I would not suspect such.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
slownlow43
GX Member

slownlow43 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm actually thinking both the alternator and the battery are bad, one going bad probably fried the other. The alternator obviously should maintain a charge once started, and it isn't. If the charger was hooked up to the battery and the battery died instantly when you disconnected the charger, then you have a couple bad cells. I would think it would run for at least a minute or two having the charger hooked up that long.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Greencoupe2.2
GX Member

Greencoupe2.2 is on a distinguished road
A charger is for charing the battery not jumpstaring it, and if you are going the ley your car sit for periods of time you should get a trickle charger to maintain the batterys charge
Greencoupe2.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
kROntast1c
GX Member

kROntast1c is on a distinguished road
Yeah my car only sat for 3 days before I tried to start it again. But the reason I left the charger on is because when the car ran for 1 minute I was gonna take the charger off and take it for a drive. So I put the charger back on and let it run for half an hour. And again when I took the charger off it died again. And my battery is only 4 months old. So I know its dead but I don't think it conked out.
kROntast1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
If you have the time disconnect one lead in the battery and charge it up realy good with the charger. Also, the battery should have a warranty so I assume you saved the reciept. 3 days should be no problem to let it sit if the alternator is OK. I let mine sit mostly all winter and don't use it for weeks (sometimes > 1 month even) at a time (I don't drive it in salted roads) and my car starts just fine. I have a winter beater I drive for that.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote