Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 09-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
jlong
GL Member

jlong is on a distinguished road
Idle Engine Vibration when in gear

When stopped at a light or what ever the engine vibrates pretty bad. It's a fast vibration. It doesn't seam that there is a mechanical problem because if you put it in neutral the vibration is not nearly as bad. It has done it since the day we got it. I guess it's more of an annoyance than a real problem.

Could it be that the idle is too low? Or is it just the fact that it is a 4 banger? I had a '01 2.4 cav and it wasn't this bad, though there was a slight vibration at idle and in gear. I have a Colorado 3.5l I-5 auto and it doesn't vibrate like this.

jlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

Whitetigerboi83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via MSN to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via Yahoo to Whitetigerboi83
i seem to have the same problem. i usually end up throwin it in to neutral when i'm stopped and putting it in drive when the lights about to change.. but yeha i could use the info if anyone on here has it on what to fix or where its coming from
my idle is 750 rpm when stopped
Old 09-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
My 2.4 vibrates also. I think maybe it does that with all 4 cylinders....they do idle pretty low. Only thing you can do to change that is get the HPTuners software to change the idle speed. But spending $500+ to change the idle speed is a little expensive.

On my car, since my exhaust piping is so big (3"), when the engine warms up and the idle drops below 750, the exhaust rattles against the rear axle, and it's only when it idles...it gets really annoying. If I don't want to hear it at a stop light, I'll put my left foot on the brake and just barely touch the gas pedal with my right foot to bring up the revs another 200rpm and it stops vibrating.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:50 PM   #4
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
well hptuners don't support the n-body yet so you will have to wait quite awhile for that.

my 2.4 vibrates but yet i have cams and other engine work. then now it vibrates a lot because of motor mount.

if the engine vibrates that bad i would check engine mounts to see if bad and also a little vacuum leak can cause this.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:03 AM   #5
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
if the engine vibrates that bad i would check engine mounts to see if bad and also a little vacuum leak can cause this.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I fixed a vac leak on a cav and it was almost gone, then she changed the motor mount, and no more problem.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:41 AM   #6
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
well hptuners don't support the n-body yet so you will have to wait quite awhile for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPTuners
May 5, 2006: VCM Suite 2.1.10 Released

HP Tuners is pleased to announce VCM Suite 2.1.10 is now available!

VCM Suite 2.1.10 is a HUGE release, bringing a vast new range of vehicle support and new features. Want to tune your 2.0L supercharged Chevy Cobalt SS or Saturn Ion Redline? Your inline-4/5/6 cylinder Trailblazer, Envoy, Colorado or Canyon need some tweaking? How about breathing some life into that new inline-5 H3 Hummer you just bought? Maybe a 2bar operating system for your 98 Corvette? It's all here and MORE!

Below are the major new features in v2.1.10:
05-06 Cobalt SS 2.0L s/c *
04-06 Saturn Ion Redline 2.0L s/c *
04-06 Colorado/Canyon 2.8L I4 *
04-06 Colorado/Canyon 3.5L I5 *
02-06 Trailblazer/Envoy 4.2L I6 *
06 Hummer H3 3.5L I5 *
05-06 Saab 9-7x 4.2L I6 *
General release for 2.2/2.4L L4 Cavalier, Sunfire, GrandAm, Alero, S10 and Sonoma (was beta) *
VATS Delete for Gen4 V8's (E40 & E38 ECM's) *
97/98 Gen3 V8 2bar Enhancement
LS1 SD transmission full line pressure fixups
* feature available on MPVI interface only

VCM Suite now supports over 350 vehicle types! Never before has there been so much flexibility in a single GM tuning package. Tune your drag race monster, your daily driver and your buddies truck in a single package. FULL DETAILS...

That's not what it seems from their site...
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:10 PM   #7
adjennin
GX Member

adjennin is an unknown quantity at this point
I have HPTuners and it works just fine with the Alero. I think there are a couple other guys that also have it.
adjennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
That's not what it seems from their site...

well effing excuse me, cliff. it was beta and wasn't released last i checked.

but hey, next we shall all check with you, bullwinkle.

Last edited by Oldsman : 09-10-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Oldsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:06 PM   #9
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Just want to make sure that everyone knows what's available. I have been looking into this because I'll need a custom tune if i get a supercharger.

Who let you into the Ecotec section anyways
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:57 PM   #10
slalomking
GX Member

slalomking is an unknown quantity at this point
my 2.2 vibrates at a stop too. And if I am on a down slope and put it in park-WWWWOOHHH- huge noisey vibration once I take my foot off the brake.

Seems the damn hood prop rod vibrates in tune w/ engine and adds to the ruckus.

Putting it in neutral helps, but only somewhat. Still a noisey beast it is.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:40 PM   #11
jlong
GL Member

What is the engine supposed to idle at? I know the built in tachometer isn't 100% correct but it looks like it idles at 800 rpm. Is that too high?

I just cleaned the throttle body, put half a bottle of sea foam in the engine and the other half in the gas tank and changed the fuel filter which was over due. That didn't really make a difference.

I am going to try running higher octane gas and some more fuel injector cleaner the next tank. I am also going to get some denso iridium plugs for it.

If it were a vacuum leak where would I check? I looked at the obvious places but didn't see any problems.

Last edited by jlong : 09-17-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:09 PM   #12
slalomking
GX Member

slalomking is an unknown quantity at this point
My warm idle RPM is just a hair below 800. Call it 770 or so.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:35 PM   #13
fusion
GX Member

fusion is an unknown quantity at this point
If you haven't replaced your spark plugs in a while, i would!

I replaced mine after 30,000 and it got rid of the rough idle.

Turns out though, only one of the four plugs were leaking slightly.

$85 later, problem gone!
fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:38 PM   #14
jlong
GL Member

I'll give that a shot.