Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > At The Track

Old 09-26-2007, 08:16 PM   #21
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Everywhere, everywhere I've read/heard, manually shifting an automatic will do NOTHING to help your times. The computer can shift much faster than you can, and if you manually shift you risk hitting the limiter, totally destroying your times. If the limiter is set at 6200, as it is, and the computer shifts are 6200, that's the best you can get. Also 3 or D did nothing for me last time I was at the track. I leave it in D.

Tonight I went to the drag strip with my buddy and his Camaro. When we got there they closed the track 10 mins ago due to the light rain. -_- We still found out that I completely smoke his Camaro... >_> Anyways I'll be out to get some real numbers at Friday King of Street (Test & Tune plus Import vs. Domestic racing later on)
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:51 PM   #22
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
The difference between 3 and D is significant. If you did not notice anything then you were not consistent in your launches or something else negated the difference because it is proven on all types of vehicles that there is a noticeable difference between the 2. For some vehicles it's more significant than others but there is a difference.

As for shifting vs. not shifting, auto transmissions are most commonly set up from the factory to run just shy of peak (if set up correctly) in order to minimize the chance of overstressing the trans and related components. We've all known stock vehicles that are purposely detuned by the factory to protect parts or get that insurance premium exemption. Is it better to leave it in 3rd vs. shifting? Only in the fact that you'll be a lot more consistent in your ETs by letting the car shift. Some trans have adjustable governors to allow you to fine-tune the shift points.

And if you put in a shift kit in the trans your car will be even quicker and just as consistent. Plus shift kits have the added bonus of shifting into the next gear quicker and with less stress on the trans as it doesnt stay at the top of a gear as long.

And I forgot to ask before but are your rims stock or aftermarket? Aftermarket rims, if meant for looks and not performance, are usually heavier than stock and that added spinning weight will slow down the car. It's not the weight similar to weight of something in your trunk but SPINNING WEIGHT. Sure there's the absolute weight difference (14 lbs. vs. 8 lbs., for instance) which matters, but spinning weight magnifies the effect of the added weight.

Last edited by Daytona : 09-26-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #23
blueolds01
GX Member

blueolds01 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to blueolds01
15.7@87mph w/2.34 60'!!! finally 15's. launched at 1000rpm, 60 out, no burnout. THANKS GUYS!
-'97 s10 4.3 v6, alpine head unit, camaro rims, 2.5" cat-back w/Edelbrock SDT, Edelbrock TES headers, HPPIII, and 8mm taylor wires. 15.505@87.42mph

http://www.cardomain.com/id/s104-banger
videos-
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YvkbtiBirVo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WnmqBZkdmAM
blueolds01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:53 PM   #24
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm going next Wednesday, supposed to be 50 out. I'll do most of my runs in 3, then.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:36 PM   #25
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Everywhere, everywhere I've read/heard, manually shifting an automatic will do NOTHING to help your times. The computer can shift much faster than you can, and if you manually shift you risk hitting the limiter, totally destroying your times. If the limiter is set at 6200, as it is, and the computer shifts are 6200, that's the best you can get. Also 3 or D did nothing for me last time I was at the track. I leave it in D.
These guys are talking about V6's. You have a 4 cylinder. That means your converter stalls at 2200-2300 rpms, not 1700 like theirs. Also, the transmission on the 4 cylinders shift at the 6500rpm redline everytime except going into 4th, but since you'll never reach 4th in a quarer mile at WOT, manual shifting above redline would be bad. As for leaving it in 3, it might be a good idea. Give it a try and see how it does, and launch at 2000-2200ish.

Last edited by Spilner521 : 10-11-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #26
[ion] C2
636 whp

Haha, I'm a dumbass. I thought I read 2200 for the stock convertor on the 4t40e somewhere. So on the launch, I should hold the revs at 2200 RPM, when I leave, I let off the brake but keep the throttle at its previous position until I start moving then lay it to the floor. (To maintain traction, I think that will work) Last time I was at the track I revved to 1600 RPM then as soon as the 3rd amber hit I let off the brake and laid it down to the floor almost instantly. Hence wheel hoppin madness
Old 10-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #27
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Haha, I'm a dumbass. I thought I read 2200 for the stock convertor on the 4t40e somewhere. So on the launch, I should hold the revs at 2200 RPM, when I leave, I let off the brake but keep the throttle at its previous position until I start moving then lay it to the floor. (To maintain traction, I think that will work) Last time I was at the track I revved to 1600 RPM then as soon as the 3rd amber hit I let off the brake and laid it down to the floor almost instantly. Hence wheel hoppin madness
Yeah hold it around 2200, then let off the brake and slowly put your right foot to the floor instead of immediately mashing the gas. It'll catch traction and take off like a rocket. It's the same way I launch mine and it's ridiculous how hard you can launch, and how quickly you take off. If you immediately mash the gas, you get wheel spin and, like you said, wheel hop, which are both bad if you're trying to run a quick quarter mile.

Last edited by Spilner521 : 10-11-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #28
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
16.3 is actually in range for a totally stock 3400 Alero.

Lauching at 2200 RPM's really doesn't help and kills the tranny. I blew a chuck off my tranny and it cost me $2 grand to fix.

Lower tire pressure to 28 ~ 25, lauch at 1000, do a decent burnout nothing too big but do it in 2nd gear. Drive the track in 3rd gear.

If you have an intake, remove the driver's side headlight for better airflow, but only if you have an intake.

The DHP will not help you much. It's one of those things that benfits you if you have a few mods. Intake and exhaust is always a good start.

Dump the spare, jack and your sub, run with 1/4 tank or less

ill admit this only time i ever ran 16.3 was with no third gear
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:40 PM   #29
blueolds01
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silveralero View Post
ill admit this only time i ever ran 16.3 was with no third gear

theres a confidence booster!

your trap speed was 87mph just like mine, if i got a better 60' could i get into low 15's?
-'97 s10 4.3 v6, alpine head unit, camaro rims, 2.5" cat-back w/Edelbrock SDT, Edelbrock TES headers, HPPIII, and 8mm taylor wires. 15.505@87.42mph

videos-
Old 10-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #30
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueolds01 View Post
15.7@87mph w/2.34 60'!!! finally 15's. launched at 1000rpm, 60 out, no burnout. THANKS GUYS!

Congrats!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
These guys are talking about V6's. You have a 4 cylinder. That means your converter stalls at 2200-2300 rpms, not 1700 like theirs. Also, the transmission on the 4 cylinders shift at the 6500rpm redline everytime except going into 4th, but since you'll never reach 4th in a quarer mile at WOT, manual shifting above redline would be bad. As for leaving it in 3, it might be a good idea. Give it a try and see how it does, and launch at 2000-2200ish.

You are correct.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:54 PM   #31
adam45356
GX Member

adam45356 is on a distinguished road
Ok this is weired but i live in Ohio i had a short ram intake perforce plugs and wires my car whoud run a 16.5 i put that stock intake back on with a k7n drop in and i can run 15.22 all day now. the aftermarket intake made my car significantly slower, with the intake it couldest even chirp the tires stock intake it will turn them to liquid. can this be explained?
adam45356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:41 AM   #32
blueolds01
GX Member

wow, what was the temp out side when you were racing both days? i might have to put my stock intake on in the spring....

videos-
Old 12-29-2007, 01:42 AM   #33
Alon Alero
GL Member

Alon Alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alon Alero Send a message via MSN to Alon Alero
That is weird. I hope my filter doesn't slow me as well...
Old 12-31-2007, 12:33 PM   #34
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam45356 View Post
Ok this is weired but i live in Ohio i had a short ram intake perforce plugs and wires my car whoud run a 16.5 i put that stock intake back on with a k7n drop in and i can run 15.22 all day now. the aftermarket intake made my car significantly slower, with the intake it couldest even chirp the tires stock intake it will turn them to liquid. can this be explained?

Could be 1 of 2 things:

1) Not sure what ram intake you used but it's possible that you are drawing in more engine-heated air than colder exteiror air with it. That'll certainly slow you down.

2) You could have had bad plugs or wires, or your plugs weren't gapped right.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:37 PM   #35
Alon Alero
GL Member

Alon Alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alon Alero Send a message via MSN to Alon Alero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona View Post
Could be 1 of 2 things:

1) Not sure what ram intake you used but it's possible that you are drawing in more engine-heated air than colder exteiror air with it. That'll certainly slow you down.

2) You could have had bad plugs or wires, or your plugs weren't gapped right.

So a Wai does slow u down or not?

I have the filter sitting very close to where the original box was sitting. is that bad? (on the 3400 engine)

And which plugs are u talking about?

Last edited by Alon Alero : 12-31-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Alon Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:56 PM   #36
[ion] C2
636 whp

It shouldn't..
Old 01-06-2008, 08:12 AM   #37
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Saw your filter pics. In regards to your WAI set-up, what Redog and xbxradxsx vbmenu_register("postmenu_320818", true); said about your set-up is correct. You don't get the full benefits of WAI with your current set-up, but should be okay for now and shouldn't be slowing you down (barring any other issues internally with your MAF sensor or other intake internals).

With Adam's set-up, there could have been a problem with a minor gap in the piping (due to improper fit) or an obstruction internally within his set-up.

As for your plugs, I'm referring to your spark plugs. You should remove them one at a time and check the spark point on each to make sure they look clean - not too black, not too white. If they are black or white your engine is experiencing too rich or too lean a setting and needs to be retuned. Also use a gap gauge to check and make sure the gap spacing is correct on all 6 of the plugs. I don't recall the exact gap requirement for our car (anyone? Redog?) but incorrect sizing can create problems with you not getting enough spark to a cylinder.

As for Adam's car, now that I went back and reread the whole thread, plugs are definitely not his problem. Not sure I thought at first that it could be. His issue is definitely with a leak or obstruction in his "performance set-up" or his drawing too hot an air mix relative to his stock set-up.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #38
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I believe the correct gap is .060

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:47 PM   #39
adam45356
GX Member

adam45356 is on a distinguished road
i found that the problem is that the pipe that connects to the throttle body is round and the tb is oval, now my question if i buy the doctor speed intake is it oval to match the throttle body
adam45356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:57 PM   #40
[ion] C2
636 whp

umm.. no.. that's why one uses silicone couplers, which form to the shape of the two pieces you connect. the fact that the throttle body is slighly oblong should not cause ANY noticeable problems.