Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 05-04-2004, 01:43 PM   #21
SouthDakotAlero
GL Member

SouthDakotAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
I need to know the colors of the resistors as well, since it's hard to tell from the pictures. Can somebody help me out?
SouthDakotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 04:00 PM   #22
boarder211

They were red and purple for the center two stripes, and there's a stripe on one end which is a goldish/brown
Old 05-07-2004, 01:09 PM   #23
bigd6983

I think its somewhere in the 330 ohm range to make them 12 volt compatibe but they seem a lil too bright so i usually use high 300's to 4......whatever I can usually find in my box, if anyone is curious I went to kragen one time and found what looked to be replacements for the lil sockets in the back of the cluster so if no one wants to have to desolder a stock part and wants to be able to interchange if necessary I would say go there and check it out.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:11 PM   #24
bigd6983

oh and boarder it looks like yellow violet brown to me, which is something like 470 ohms its been a while with the conversion chart.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:31 PM   #25
the_SkoL

I've lost my old bulb with the "condom" so what alternative I should do?
Old 05-25-2004, 06:57 PM   #26
boarder211

Well, going on Sound_Xtreme's comment, I replaced each individual LED+resistor with three LED's, and the effects are way better! What I did was take a little tacking nail, and hammer it through the bottom of the condom to create 2 holes which were big enough to pass the wire through them. Then taking the LED's, threw them into series and put the end leads through the holes. This way the leads could be pased back up into the spaces where the stock bulbs came through, and soldered into place to form a nice, tight connection.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:58 PM   #27
boarder211

Yeah... I know I'm a crappy solderer. What I would recommend for anyone else who's planning on doing this, is to get a low temp solder, because heating up the connectors on the condom enough to take the solder caused the plastic to melt a bit... but it worked.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:00 PM   #28
boarder211

And finally, the final effect. As opposed to 5 LED's, there now are 15 in here.

Still haven't figured out a way to spread around the light more, but I'm thinking that they still look pretty nice IMO.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:23 AM   #29
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
looks good...i gotta say tho, u got a hell of alot more patience then i do...good work :thumbsup:
Old 05-26-2004, 10:39 AM   #30
niral622
GX Member

niral622 is an unknown quantity at this point
looks hot, tho now i'm going to have to get more blue led's :thumbsup:
Old 05-26-2004, 12:34 PM   #31
AleroSS

Looks good scott, well done - any way to just change the needle's colours without bleeding the light elsewhere?
Old 05-26-2004, 06:22 PM   #32
boarder211

Still haven't figured out that one AleroSS... Not too sure other than installing a LED that would sit right below the needle. Because I've been thinking that red needles would look goor with the blue gauge cluster.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:40 PM   #33
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
hehe, i didnt use the stock gauge cluster like you did tho to power them. i guess just too lazy? anyways i dunno if i mentioned it but i just wired mine into the dimmer switch where most run their indiglow gauges.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:32 PM   #34
bigd6983

ok im going to repeat something I said earlier. there are different types of leds, some that diffuse light sideways instead of straight out, those leds would probably be perfect for this mod, now if you have the halo gauges I dont think youd have this problem period because they seem way thicker then the stock ones prolly are and plus you have double thickness.........
Old 05-26-2004, 11:50 PM   #35
sound_xtreme
GLS member

Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
indiglow gauges, and halo gauges dont have any transparent parts i dont think. i know my indiglows dont. so useing the straight led's i could point them straight toward the needles.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:15 AM   #36
bigd6983

yea thats what im saying, but for others with stock guages it would be perfect
Old 05-30-2004, 01:16 AM   #37
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
ok, quick idea to spread out the light, i'd try it with test led's first though, so you dont waste a 3 led condom if it doesnt work.

take a piece of glass, put a huge glob of hot glue down, stick the led's in it where the light emits, let it cool, pull it off of the glass, cut the hot glue into a circle so that it fits into the gauge cluster, maybe even take some sandpaper to the hot glue, rough it up a bit, should spread out the light at least a little... and it shouldnt take but 3 mins to do this.... so it's pretty much win/win.... on paper anyway.

lemme know if you try this.

oh, and a quick note, if you use 4 leds in series, you dont need any resistors.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 02:48 AM   #38
sound_xtreme
GLS member

or, you could just grind the rounded part off then sand it with like 2000 grit
Old 05-30-2004, 11:42 PM   #39
Cuzican

Thats more work, time and money spent than needed! You get the same effect when you replace the original white bulbs with blue "mood lights"!
Old 05-31-2004, 12:07 AM   #40
boarder211

Quote:
take a piece of glass, put a huge glob of hot glue down, stick the led's in it where the light emits, let it cool, pull it off of the glass, cut the hot glue into a circle so that it fits into the gauge cluster, maybe even take some sandpaper to the hot glue, rough it up a bit, should spread out the light at least a little... and it shouldnt take but 3 mins to do this.... so it's pretty much win/win.... on paper anyway.

Very good idea... I was thinking about something like that, and will probably mess around with it in the coming week. I've got a few days off, but first on the list is clearing my driver's side corner (I did the ps the other day), and re-mounting my fogs. Then I'll be messing more with these LED's...

Ahhhh... the joys of a week-long break from summer courses, and it being the slow time at work.