Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 08-13-2005, 04:58 PM   #41
bigd6983

Quote:
Originally posted by sound_xtreme+Aug 13 2005, 12:12 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sound_xtreme @ Aug 13 2005, 12:12 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-bigd6983@Aug 13 2005, 11:16 AM
and only one of them would compress back up and it only went 1/3 of the way back up and that took it 2 hours to go that far so needless to say they were shot.......
they arent really supposed to much. they are nothing like the kyb's. kyb's are gas charged, very different.
[/b][/quote]

they didnt at all, except for that one and it was super super slow......like i said they were shot, stock ones for 93000 miles........along with how long the eibachs were on there......definately time
Old 11-26-2005, 03:58 PM   #42
eag182
V.I.P. Member

eag182 is an unknown quantity at this point
Two things when changing springs:

(1) I have no idea how you are gonna get the plate above the spring off the strut without an impact gun.
(2) Ok. Don't laugh. But remember to tighten your lug nuts when finished, if you dont youll be in for one hell of a ride I will never forget.
eag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 06:42 PM   #43
UnoWHO

just wondering if there is any way to get those pictures to work again so I have a reference. thanks
Old 01-06-2006, 08:40 PM   #44
UnoWHO

bump?
Old 04-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #45
wrightie
V.I.P. Member

wrightie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
My hat goes off to Sound extreme for writing an excellent how to. I used this and finished my project in no time. Definetly helped having an impact gun. You the man dood.

Wrightie
wrightie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:05 AM   #46
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
dont forget to thank me also...... i was the second pair of hands in the pictures

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:23 PM   #47
wrightie
V.I.P. Member

wrightie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
well then I guess I owe you a friendly thank you as well.

Wrightie
wrightie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:00 AM   #48
elitecloud
GL Member

elitecloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to elitecloud
would this how to also help when trying to change the upper strute plates?

2006 Toyota X-Runner
elitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:00 AM   #49
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
yes, however, if you're still on stock springs, you WILL need a spring compressor, and they aren't very fun at all.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:20 PM   #50
Molson
V.I.P. Member

Molson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Molson Send a message via MSN to Molson
Quote:
Originally posted by sound_xtreme@Apr 11 2006, 09:00 AM
yes, however, if you're still on stock springs, you WILL need a spring compressor, and they aren't very fun at all.

yeah, they can be a little tricky. The tool is rentable at most parts outlets, or they can be bought cheap at places like Princess Auto/Harbour Freight. Before I bought a set, when I changed mine I took them down to a friends shop who has a strut tamer. (larger machine for changing springs) which will compress the spring/strut assembly all at once.

If you go with the spring compressor, make sure its attached right, nothing worse then it coming off or swinging around and taking out appendages.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #51
firstson
GX Member

firstson is an unknown quantity at this point
I noticed a lot of people have had problems with their old struts...my car only has 20,000 miles on it. is it necessary to change the struts now?
firstson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:00 AM   #52
AsianAlero
GX Member

AsianAlero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AsianAlero
great how to written here.

now my question is what the guy said about cutting the bumper a 1/2 inch, so the the strut doesnt bottom out really neccesary? its a bumper its supposed to be there just for that.

and second i have intrax springs do i really have to install washer or spacers so i dont damage my mounts?????

any help would be greatly appreciated...
AsianAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:14 AM   #53
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
bro if u make another post asking about springs im gonna faking kill you with a gun

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #54
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Mike2002: id like to add somthing to the how to, also, maybe the admins or mods could erase some of the garbage up above......

When you take your strut assembly apart, inside the strut "boot" there is a white rubber spacer, id guess about 2-2.5" tall. remove this from the strut boot. this is your strut bumper. take a hacksaw, or somthing, and cut it at the first indent from the bottom. this should make the bumper about 1/2" shorter than it was before. then re-install it. do this when installing drop springs like springtech/intrax or anyspring that drops it 1.5" or more. when disassembling my springtech/kyb combo, i noticed my bumper had hit the bottom of the strut a few times. this is because the strut is more compressed to begin with, and can bottom out because of this, cutting this bumber gives the strut more "play" before it bottoms out.

also, and this is BIG. it seems that some kyb's do not come with a nut thats as tall as the stock strut. because of this, the kyb nut will not hold the mount to the strut. it seems newer mounts have a 1/2" spacer to compensate for this, some do, some dont. make sure if installing kyb struts, you either have that 1/2" spacer on top of your mount, or you get some washers and put them below your top nut, you can and WILL ruin your strut mounts without it. i didn't have that spacer, and ruined my strut mounts.

does the spacer thing only apply to the front struts, or the rear ones as well? I just got my struts, and only the front ones came with a spacer, the rear ones just the nut.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #55
kevin1114
GX Member

kevin1114 is on a distinguished road
can you put spacers after dropping???

Take Life's Curves Sideways, and Drift!
kevin1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #56
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m