Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 04-06-2008, 11:05 PM   #21
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
they have a dish in them, 9:1 compression, stock CR is 9.7:1
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:42 AM   #22
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
^^ OK just wondering.

Sometimes you have to hone, just becuase of the wear factor. Personally I wouldn't really want to hone.

Are they totally stock pistons, or are they dished in any way?

y wouldn't u want to hone it? it gives u more displacement not much but it does. if u put ur fingernail in the worn spots it needs to get honed plain and simple.
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:16 AM   #23
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Are you confused with Boring VS Honing?

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #24
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
I think so, honing just slightly scrapes the sides to make sure things are straight. Boring is used to widen the cylinder to fit .020" - .040" wider pistons. I got a great deal on stock size pistons, so no overbore here.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #25
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
yeah I noticed that too....honing and boring.....but do atleast hone the cylinders
Old 04-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #26
bigdaddyD
GL Member

bigdaddyD is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bigdaddyD
[Ion] C2, if you need some extra hands, im just a hour or so away, id be willing to do some grunt work for ya on the weekends.
bigdaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:59 AM   #27
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
where'd you get your pistons from? need a set just like them.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:09 AM   #28
[ion] C2
636 whp

Karo from Car Customs, message him on j-body.org
Old 04-19-2008, 06:50 PM   #29
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
$900, it would have been around $1200-1400 if I didn't find nice deals.

I'd love to, but I don't know how much it'd be. One of the rods needs to lose 20 grams anyway. (Stupid design change mid-production left me with 3 rods of a certain weight and one that's 20g's more).

So you've had a place build yours? Did you bring them the engine itself or have them pull/rebuild/install (everything). There's quite a few local places I know around Michigan off XceedSpeed (a Michigan based car forum).

Sorry i've been lazy on the forums, i pulled the blown motor from the car, and then before i took it to the shop i sold it, so then I picked up a really dirty block and took it to the machine shop, hotboxed it, bored the pistons, done a lot of measuring and time work since we keep running into problems, but for a hot box it was like $45 for the first load and $30 for any additional which at this shop you should be able to do an entire motor in one load, for the bottom end to be assembled and balances it is really like port work you really just need to pick a number and stick with it, because they can get as precise as you want depending on how much money you want to spend. My motor shop told on mine though I could get assembly and a real good balance for about $600. The little shit is what gets expensive real fast though. I bet I got a good 3-4g in the bottom end when all is said and done.....
Old 04-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #30
[ion] C2
636 whp

Speed Industry (a MI performance place) is going to balance and install everything in the short block for about $320, then my friends (10-12 of them) are going to do an epic build on that engine, then put the supercharger and whatnot (header) on, then drop it in.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #31
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
Sorry i've been lazy on the forums, i pulled the blown motor from the car, and then before i took it to the shop i sold it, so then I picked up a really dirty block and took it to the machine shop, hotboxed it, bored the pistons, done a lot of measuring and time work since we keep running into problems, but for a hot box it was like $45 for the first load and $30 for any additional which at this shop you should be able to do an entire motor in one load, for the bottom end to be assembled and balances it is really like port work you really just need to pick a number and stick with it, because they can get as precise as you want depending on how much money you want to spend. My motor shop told on mine though I could get assembly and a real good balance for about $600. The little shit is what gets expensive real fast though. I bet I got a good 3-4g in the bottom end when all is said and done.....

for the record you don't bore pistons... you bore the cylinder where the pistons go.
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #32
[ion] C2
636 whp

lol..
Old 04-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #33
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyhunter View Post
for the record you don't bore pistons... you bore the cylinder where the pistons go.

yes thank you i was in a hurry........
Old 04-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #34
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
yes thank you i was in a hurry........
^excuse of somebody who doesnt build their own engine

oops got too confused with other thread
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #35
kwhauck
2Screwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silveralero View Post
^excuse of somebody who doesnt build their own engine

Ouch, oh well, i'll be the first to admint, I don't know how to assemble the bottom end of the motor nor do I have the tools to accomplish it and that is why I am paying someone to do that part of the engine build.......
Old 04-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #36
[ion] C2
636 whp

I found out I do have all the tools (well my friend does) to assemble the bottom end, as well as some experience. Hmmmm... I know HOW... I just don't want to.. in case something is screwed up.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #37
[ion] C2
636 whp

I just bought the engine, complete, with about 30k miles on it. Even included the A/C compressor, so my air conditioning will work now! Friend just loaded it up on his truck in OH, heading back up to MI now where we will drop it off at a friend's garage, and build it sometime soon.

Hope to have a forged engine pulling me around everywhere soon! Meth, more boost, drag radials, WOOT! Can't wait for ASS
Old 04-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #38
[ion] C2
636 whp

Here it is.

Hopefully that guy on j-body makes his rebuild tutorial sometime soon.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:44 PM   #39
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Just make sure when you take bolts/fasteners off you put them all in a little bag and label the bag what they're for. Sounds kinda silly right? Wait 'til you put everything back together and you're missing one bolt for something important...
Old 04-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #40
kwhauck
2Screwy

i know that feeling, sucks major wang.....