Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 08-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
MSD Coils.

If I use two 8224 MSD coils and a wireset, will that enhance my spark power significantly? Do I need the MSD DIS-2 ($$$$) to get the multiple spark discharge or do the coils do that on their own?

I would like a more powerful, and if I can, multiple spark to take care of any spark blowout or possible misfires on me.

[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Nevarmind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyhunter via IM
the MSD coils will give you the more powerful spark you require. just get some really nice spark plug wires & wire the msd coils in really well. you'll be good to go

when i went MSD coils I loved that shit. the msd coils are just higher power coils than OEM, the DIS-2 you really do not need.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
path of least resistance.

if you get plugs that claim they have "multiple spark points" its a bold faced lie. electricity doesn't move from multiple points (in close distance)

...unless your nikola tesla.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

Errr, duh. I tell everyone that who wants to buy the gimmick spark plugs. I'm not talking about multi-tipped spark plugs, I'm talking about MSD ignition, regarding multiple sparks (multiple, as in sequence, one after another).
Old 08-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
I say that maybe it could help but only if the coils are not sufficient to provide an accurate spark under high boost... a friend of mine had the msd dis-2 on his 500hp eagle talon and it helped a lot over 25 pounds of boost

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

They aren't. I had to gap my plugs down to .028 to keep the spark from blowing out. I'm going to hook it up as soon as I get the parts tomorrow/monday.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiguilandry View Post
I say that maybe it could help but only if the coils are not sufficient to provide an accurate spark under high boost... a friend of mine had the msd dis-2 on his 500hp eagle talon and it helped a lot over 25 pounds of boost

the stock coils aren't
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:49 AM   #8
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
the DIS system will give the multi-spark but not the coils. they will just give you a hotter spark.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
datwonguy
GX Member

datwonguy is on a distinguished road
ikno that the msd modual(dis2) is the base technology for the blaster coils!! if you have the performance coils all the way to spark plugs your GOLDEN, but if you get the interface modual and dis2 you PLATINUM. its the technology in this ya kno
Old 08-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
spyhunter
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datwonguy View Post
ikno that the msd modual(dis2) is the base technology for the blaster coils!! if you have the performance coils all the way to spark plugs your GOLDEN, but if you get the interface modual and dis2 you PLATINUM. its the technology in this ya kno

yeah but you really don't need to get the DIS2 to make the ignition perform for you proper. I would know. I think it's an unnecessary thing, more of a luxury to say "AND I GOT THIS MOD TOO!"
Old 08-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #11
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

NoSweat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
If anyone would know it would be spy.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #12
spyhunter
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSweat83 View Post
If anyone would know it would be spy.

If anything the DIS2 caused me troubleshooting issues, while the MSD coils caused me nothing but joy and happiness.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #13
[ion] C2
636 whp

and the DIS-2 causes a huge gaping hole in your wallet
Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

NoSweat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not if you already have one...
Old 08-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #15
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
DIS works beautiful on n/a setup.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #16
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
i think i'll stay stock till the stock coil goes out then MAYBE i might go MSD but i also have a turbo build in mind so might end up with MSD anyways

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #17
[ion] C2
636 whp

Installed the MSD coils today. Amazing difference.
  • idles much smoother
  • no stumbling whatsoever at 18 psi
  • no misfire/detonation upon shut off/on quickly (like going to store)
  • throttle response is far quicker, can burn off the quick fuel dump much easier
Overall, I'm extremely happy, the stronger spark is spectacular.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #18
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
looks good, i like the mounting location. make sure u put a how to with p/n on Amod uprgades
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #19
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by heineck View Post
looks good, i like the mounting location. make sure u put a how to with p/n on Amod uprgades

yes please i wanna do this soon
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:50 PM   #20
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
spy, throw your 2 cents in on this:

http://www.kennebell.net/accessories...oostaspark.htm

and also, what wires/plugs are you guys using?

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote