Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 10-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Head Gasket 4 (100%)

Complete on Page 9.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU on Page 8.

Engine in-bay reassembly updates on Page 5.

Machine work updates on Page 4.

Engine disassembly and reassembly updates on Page 3.

Outdated stuff below:
------------------------

On 10/21/2011 I ran 13.2 @ 110MPH and blew the gasket 3 seconds into the run...

It's awesome when you open the oil drain plug and coolant comes out first haha.

Fun stuff, as usual.

I'm running out of colors to paint on!

And this is what I ended up with today.. taking off the cam towers and head tomorrow. Going to try something different regarding removing the turbo manifold... probably won't be able to but I'll try..

I'll drop off the head to be machined on Monday and get some nice pictures of it when it's all mirror finish... then Tuesday I'll do the water pump for the first time, and install my new shiny firewall material and such..
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
damn that sucks are u goingto check to see if the head is warped.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLw7123 View Post
damn that sucks are u goingto check to see if the head is warped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
I'll drop off the head to be machined on Monday

Old 10-29-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
oh i missed that. u have had a ton of problems with this engine.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:02 AM   #5
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
thats why 2fts4u decided not to drop another one is his and is parting it out. he envied my ecotec although knowing C2 once he's done with it theres not going to be anymore of this crap. just a red blur flying by. and is kris or chris? iv seen both on here...
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

yeah it won't leak after this time. and no, i didn't say that when doing the previous ones, i expected it to leak last time.

i'm Chris
Old 10-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
AZFire316
GL Member

AZFire316 is on a distinguished road
I hate head gaskets! lol, im in the process of doing mine on my LT1 and its a PITA.
AZFire316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
mmorello82
GX Member

mmorello82 is on a distinguished road
Damn Dude! Looks like you need a grage to do all that work!
Old 10-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
:iagree: it would suck to work on your car on the side of the road doing all that work!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
[ion] C2
636 whp

Garage has parents' cars in it, and the driveway is all new and this job makes a big mess, so no-go. I always do it outside.

A big surprise occurred though today when I took the head off. I'll post later when I get home.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
And you ask why I won't turbo my car.

Exactly how much money did you save by not doing it right the first time?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
And you ask why I won't turbo my car.

Exactly how much money did you save by not doing it right the first time?
Well, it was "right" the first time, it was built using a Fel-Pro to handle just the wimpy supercharger. I originally never planned to turbo.

In order:
  1. Fel-Pro:
    Original build's Fel-Pro blew with my small turbo @ 14 psi. I decided to use the readily available GM gasket this time because people told me it was stronger than the Fel-Pro, and I used head studs this time.
  2. GM:
    I switched to the GT3076R and turned up the boost to 16 psi. GM gasket leaked. This time I decided to use Cometic, but I neglected to use copper spray, and I also improperly torqued the head down.
  3. Cometic (dry):
    It never sealed from the get go, I just attributed the overheating/coolant issues to other various things (hoses/reservoir/etc.) Coolant began showing up in the cylinders though and that's when I knew. I installed a new Cometic with copper spray this time.
  4. Cometic (copper spray):
    I neglected to resurface the head, leaving deep scoring marks around the cylinder sealing surfaces, yet this Cometic held up extremely well, with absolutely ZERO issues, for 6 months, until the day I decided it would be smart to do two full-cold engine wide-open throttle runs to show off to a co-worker. It appeared to generate a weak point/small leak. I still took it to the track the next week, and the head gasket of course leaked more, but I kept my foot in it, full wide open throttle for 10 seconds AFTER the head gasket initially blew severely... and that is what caused the following damage.

So I got it down to the head today.

I took off the head and noticed severe damage on the multi-layer stainless steel gasket. It melted away between the cylinder and the coolant jackets on cylinders 2 & 3.

I saw the head and said HOLY SHIT! But I remembered someone was selling a head on JBO for cheap.. and I was like, well not that big of a deal...

But then I saw the #2 piston.

Guess I shouldn't've stayed at 100% throttle for 10 seconds when the head gasket blew.. if I let off as soon as it started smoking, all it would've needed was a resurface and new gasket..
Old 10-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #13
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

holly shit that sucks.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #14
mmorello82
GX Member

mmorello82 is on a distinguished road
looks like it's time for a new motor
Old 10-30-2011, 10:40 PM   #15
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
ahhhh damn.......
Old 10-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #16
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorello82 View Post

no just new pistons or piston.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #17
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorello82 View Post
Quote:
yeah that, lol.

a nice hone to clean up the bore, fancy fresh cut on the block sealing surface, fancy cut on a new (used) head, and it'll be good to go.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #18
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
dude, did you see the scorind on the cylinder wall... gotta get 0.020 over with new pistons, it's a full engine build this time...

On the other hand it's now time to do it 5 speed too like you wanted ion

Quote:

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #19
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiguilandry View Post
dude, did you see the scorind on the cylinder wall... gotta get 0.020 over with new pistons
That's just gunk from the piston. It appears to come off easily. The actual walls seem fine aside from the caked on gunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiguilandry View Post
On the other hand it's now time to do it 5 speed too like you wanted ion
I have no money. The engine as it was should've held up perfectly fine (with proper head gasket prep), so that's what it will be repaired to. New piston(s) and head, no additional crazy modding going on.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:07 AM   #20
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
ok then because it just happen that I'm parting out my ld9 5 speed (got hit in the rear by a 12 wheeler) and I could have had all of the parts you needed even a 450lbs/tq spec stage 3+ rated clutch (5000 km on it)...

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote