Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 01-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #21
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
well keep an eye on it. your either going to be fine... or your gonna be putting an engine in it. just change the oil, and inspect for shavings. how long between changes?
Old 01-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #22
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Mine also had a lot of gray mush shavings. Who knows.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #23
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
well keep an eye on it. your either going to be fine... or your gonna be putting an engine in it. just change the oil, and inspect for shavings. how long between changes?

on average about 3500 miles. Longest I have ever been was only about 5000 miles. All synthetic.

It worrries that much shavings in a short amount of time. As compared to usually no shavings at all.

Also, when taking the old engine out, is there anything special that must be done when disconnecting the trans from the engine? any kind of special alignment? I was reading through my haynes manual and it was saying something about scribing alignment marks on the driveplate and the torque converter to ensure that they are in balance when re assembling.

Last edited by Philbar71 : 01-29-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Philbar71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #24
Philbar71
GL Member

Video,

http://youtu.be/nbEfLhiAZLU
Old 01-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #25
turboalero
GX Member

turboalero is on a distinguished road
mark if u like it doesn't really matter it will line up. dont forget theres one nut between the transmission and oil pan, (youll be pulling all day if u dont get it out) and take off the crank pully helps alot. youll need a puller tool
turboalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #26
Caboose73
GX Member

Caboose73 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Caboose73
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboalero View Post
mark if u like it doesn't really matter it will line up. dont forget theres one nut between the transmission and oil pan, (youll be pulling all day if u dont get it out) and take off the crank pully helps alot. youll need a puller tool

x2 on removing the pulley it gives you that extra room to maneuver and pull it out.
Caboose73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #27
Philbar71
GL Member

Thanks for the advice guys! Anybody listened to that vid yet?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #28
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
damnit, forgot to listen when i was at home last night. i'll try to remember when i get home today
Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #29
Philbar71
GL Member

Its starting to knock very softly when its warm too...
Old 01-31-2012, 10:49 PM   #30
[ion] C2
636 whp

mine made that noise

it is my opinion that it is normal... but that may change once i get my freshly put together engine running and see whether it also makes the noise.

however i think what we hear is normal. the LD9 is a noisy engine.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #31
Philbar71
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Engine will seize, rod might break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
mine made that noise

it is my opinion that it is normal... but that may change once i get my freshly put together engine running and see whether it also makes the noise.

however i think what we hear is normal. the LD9 is a noisy engine.

Knocking while warm too? :/ its been eating alot of oil too. Like one quart every 800—1000 miles.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #32
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
motors toast, rebuild or replaced. sounds like fore now you can either run it till it dies or start putting peices together. in all seriousness... do a crompression test and a leak down test on your engine and that should tell you how the internals are doing/
Old 02-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #33
[ion] C2
636 whp

compression test doesn't tell you the bearing condition

apparently my rods and bearings were not spec'd or installed properly when my engine was built the first time. i was shown excessive wear patterns on the rods, crank, and bearings. so maybe mine made that noise (yes even a little bit when it was already warm) because of impending failure.

personally though yours sounds really mild, mine was a bit louder than yours. i think you're fine. mine sounded like that for longer than i can remember otherwise..
Old 02-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #34
Philbar71
GL Member

Thanks for all the help guys!! Well the oil is getting changed this weekend and i'll take a look and seeif theres alot of shavings.

Anybody else have suggestions?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #35
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

i was stating compression test because it gives you a good idea of the engine as a whole. if the compression is crappy and the bearings are shot then the whole engine needs to be considered. if the compression tests good then maybe just bearings can be done and be good to go for a while.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #36
Philbar71
GL Member

Quote:
i was stating compression test because it gives you a good idea of the engine as a whole. if the compression is crappy and the bearings are shot then the whole engine needs to be considered. if the compression tests good then maybe just bearings can be done and be good to go for a while.

But, bearings cant be done in my driveway lol. And no shop ive talked to wants replace them. I havent talked to a machine shop tho.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #37
Philbar71
GL Member

Quote:

But, bearings cant be done in my driveway lol. And no shop ive talked to wants replace them. I havent talked to a machine shop tho.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #38
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
No shop wants the liability of working on a quad four... I've heard of guys putting new bearings in and having them fail in short order. Yes, it could have been an install problem, but these engines are about as bad as a Dodge 2.7L... or a Saturn CVT...
Napa machine shop will probably do it, and warranty it. They are our best option around here.
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #39
Caboose73
GX Member

Caboose73 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Caboose73
Ya my engine was making that noise then this happened.

Caboose73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #40
Philbar71
GL Member

Good lord. What happened there? All that from a bearing failure?