Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 05-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #41
MiLo
GX Member

MiLo is on a distinguished road
Bad News!!! unless???

Well I've tried just about everything with even a lil bit of help. Seems like my engine seized up. I've only tried by hand manually and I can't move it for nothing in the world. Might there be another way to try to turn over the engine? Maybe using an impact gun or something other than just my hands? I'm down to try anything before I call my insurance company and take a loss....
JVC kw-hdr720 Double Din Head Unit
Polk Audio DXi691 Coaxial & DXi461 Plate Speakers
White/Glossified Plasti-Dipped OEM 15" Rims
Red Painted Brake Calipers & Drums
CarDomain home page is pretty much before pix.
The after pix haven't been taken yet... Still under construction
MiLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:58 PM   #42
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
nope you should be able to turn it by hand with a big socket wrench, especially if the plugs are out it spins freely

your engine's f---ed
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:30 PM   #43
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
A good lesson to be learned is that you never try to start a motor that was choked out by water until you have at least pulled the plugs
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #44
MiLo
GX Member

So I had to buy a 25in breaker bar with 6point 21mm impact socket with extensions just so i can try to turn over the engine manually I just need to find me a nice size galvanized steel fence pole. I will try this as soon as i get home from work.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #45
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
why? lol

unless you're not strong enough to break the rust that surely formed after it sitting for so long, the engine will turn with a regular sized 1/2 drive socket wrench.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #46
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
why? lol

unless you're not strong enough to break the rust that surely formed after it sitting for so long, the engine will turn with a regular sized 1/2 drive socket wrench.

Cuz my 10in breaker was too small my girl said go big or go home, so I had to upgrade. Lol
Old 05-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #47
[ion] C2
636 whp

well, let us know if you can actually turn the engine
Old 05-31-2014, 12:17 AM   #48
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLo View Post
So I had to buy a 25in breaker bar with 6point 21mm impact socket with extensions just so i can try to turn over the engine manually I just need to find me a nice size galvanized steel fence pole. I will try this as soon as i get home from work.

You didn't need the breaker bar or the extensions. Just a 21mm deep socket and 1/2 drive long socket wrench and a cheater pipe would have done the trick.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:42 AM   #49
MiLo
GX Member

my breaker bar wasn't big enough, i'm telling you, the crank shaft wasn't budging and the angle was bad, i had no room in the wheel well with just the 10in breaker. i figure with the extension and the 25in breaker bar i can definitely get a better handle plus more torque. i put oil in the cylinder and let that sit. i got home too late today. in the morning i'll try. (fingers crossed)
Old 05-31-2014, 02:51 AM   #50
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
With no plugs in it you should be able to turn it the crank with a 3/8 ratchet. No need for a breaker bar. I'm gonna say the motor is done.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:25 PM   #51
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
if rust is an issue, and very well could be, get some Marvels Mystery Oil and put some in each cylinder and let it sit. iv seen it do wounders on stuck engines. wehn the piston rings are stuck mind you, not crank/rod related stuck.

another thought. if you still ahve water in the cylinders.. take some compressed air and shoot it in there and see if you can blow some of the water out. also...

DID YOU EVER TRY TO JUMP THE STARTER???

had a firebird with a stuck engine in it and put some of that crap in the cylinders. after a week the damen thing turned over. didnt really smoke either. great derby car
Old 05-31-2014, 10:49 PM   #52
MiLo
GX Member

its been confirmed... My Ho is dead. the rods are bent. and i cant afford to rebuild or replace. lucky i have full coverage. so im gonna see how much they are talkin. let you know the outcome. when i get it.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:14 PM   #53
[ion] C2
636 whp

take off the oil pan and take a peek for fun if you want
Old 05-31-2014, 11:43 PM   #54
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
take off the oil pan and take a peek for fun if you want

naw. i'm good with that. im pretty upset that i can't keep my alero. i had some plans for her! she was pretty nice nice and maintained all around. i babied this damn car and now i regret going through that damn flood water. i should've known better but i was rushing to get home from a long day of work. I'm mad cuz i just put in a new alternator and new battery like 2 or 3 months ago and i cant take those because they are electrical plus i dont have another one.

so what i did today was went back to stock everything.
put my old radio and speakers back in. i put my old organic brakes and old rotors back in because i just did my new ceramic brakes and new rotors like about 5 months ago. still look like new pads when i pulled them off, i was shocked. can't beat the ceramics.
i have some items that i took off my car that people might want.
bosch window wipers from 1st snow fall this winter (still no streaks) 22in driver & 17in passenger side.
pair of oem tweeter sail panel speakers (tan)
pair of oem fog lights that are not cracked.
HID's 35w 8000k. still looks as bright as first bought.
front switchbacks led turn signals.

i think thats about all i got to go without making my jeopardizing my insurance claim
Old 06-01-2014, 02:30 AM   #55
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Doesn't your insurance have a provision where you can keep the car, but they'll pay you less? My Grand Am was considered a "total loss" because the person that rear ended me bent the bumper support and they didn't want to fix it. I got paid book value of the car minus the $800 the insurance would make selling my car to a junkyard.

If you can do this, you could easily get the money and fix the engine.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #56
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Doesn't your insurance have a provision where you can keep the car, but they'll pay you less? My Grand Am was considered a "total loss" because the person that rear ended me bent the bumper support and they didn't want to fix it. I got paid book value of the car minus the $800 the insurance would make selling my car to a junkyard.

i dont know about that provision... i'd have to look at my insurance again to check.
if that would be the case, can you actually rebuild the engine and drive it again after the insurance company declares it a "total" loss.?
Old 06-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #57
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
You can do what u want with it once you "buy it back" bit it will have a totaled title.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #58
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
You can do what u want with it once you "buy it back" bit it will have a totaled title.

a totaled title wouldn't mean anything to me as long as i'm the owner, i know what happened. i guess if i was selling it it would be bad for the new owner. they probably wouldn't buy it right?

this is probably why Nas said that about keeping the car after declaring it totaled. to avoid this hassle of buying it back.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #59
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
I got paid book value of the car minus the $800 the insurance would make selling my car to a junkyard.

going by book value do they actually go by the condition of the car before the engine damage or after?
Old 06-01-2014, 11:45 PM   #60
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Condition before as to what they pay you...condition after for buyback...as to the buyback value i havent noticed a huge difference on values for aleros with salvage titles especially with your mileage...While not everyone would agree i am not completely opposed to a salvage title vehicle as long as there was no major structural damage
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote