Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 06-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Would this trigger a P0442 code?

I know what the code is, so we don't need to go there.

Gas cap is fine, no broken lines under the hood. Felt the one around the master cylinder and it didn't feel cracked or broken, so I look at the gas cap again.

When I took it off I noticed that the little metal (tin) flap was stuck open. I just gased up and it was closed and no P0442 code was present, two days after I fill up (about 7 miles) the SES comes on and this flap is open.

I'm going to see if I can replace it anyway, need a few small odds and ends for the Alero that I can pick up at the junkyard

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
sounds like that flap would be causing the code.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
What is this tin flap that you would be referring to?

Just about any tiny leak in the EFE system can cause a code. That and the gas fumes seem to eat vacuum hoses. On a 2000 Camry that I maintain, I just reset the code and lube the gas cap gasket with oil and it goes away for months.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
that "flap" will not cause the code. regardless if its open or close, the fuel filler cap is wht ultamitly seals the fuel system.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
but that tin flap I think vent the gas when the tank isnt pressurized
Old 06-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
I just had this problem last year. My lights were on for 4 years while I tried to lock this down.

I replaced the purge valve, but that's expensive so do this last.
Buy a new GM gas cap from your dealer. $22 or so, not to bad.

Ultimately, what turned out to be the problem was two things.

1st - My fuel filler neck. The steel line going from the tank to the gas cap, had a tiny rust crack in it that was causing a pressure leak.

2nd - There is a sensor inside the fuel tank on the pump housing assembly. It was the "pressure sending unit" i believe? Anyway, I replaced the entire pump and housing assembly while I was in there. That was the main problem. I found the filler neck in the process. I haven't thrown a code since.

If I remember correctly, the pump and housing from the dealer was only around $300- $350 so again, not a huge deal.

Good luck!
My screen name should be changed to Jizzdaddy. I was anally raped by flying monkeys and loved it. I promise to never threaten anyones daughters again because I know it will result in my ahoe being severely widened. - Did Andy just say that he wants to fk my ahoe... ewww. Sorry old man, but you're not my type.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote