Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 06-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #1
420olds
GX Member

Location: SLC,Utah _______________________ '02 3400SFI V-6 coupe
420olds is on a distinguished road
Car is runnin really hot

Hey all I have a question. I have searched and found noyhing that helped so I was wondering if anyone has any idea why my ride is running so hot? It seems to be fine while in motion but, when I'm in drive and stop for a min. my temp gauge goes all the way up to the third mark. I just changed all the hoses and replaced the thermostat with a new 180 deg. also drained and refilled the radiator. when it gets real hot like that I can smell antifreeze?
Old 06-19-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Any leaks also have you made sure your fans are actually running? If it's not leaking and your fans are good maybe waterpump starting to go /shrug. Did these problems happen before you changed your t-stat and stuff or start after?
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
I've heard that you smell it if its your water pump. any leaks on the engine where the water pump is?

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
2fast2furious01
GX Member

2fast2furious01 is on a distinguished road
you know what, i've been having the same problem with mine. I know hoses and the thermostat need to alittle "freshen up", but i've notice that when i put the ac on the temperature comes down and stays down as long as i have the ac on. I'm thinking that i should take a look at those fans too huh?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #5
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
How hot has it been getting Utah lately? Its been around 115* here but my temp gauge has only been getting up between half and 3/4.

2fast. when you turn the A/C on it kicks both fans on high, thats why it cools down.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:49 PM   #6
mstar218
GX Member

mstar218 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420olds View Post
Hey all I have a question. I have searched and found noyhing that helped so I was wondering if anyone has any idea why my ride is running so hot? It seems to be fine while in motion but, when I'm in drive and stop for a min. my temp gauge goes all the way up to the third mark. I just changed all the hoses and replaced the thermostat with a new 180 deg. also drained and refilled the radiator. when it gets real hot like that I can smell antifreeze?

I recently went through the same nightmare. Take it to Autozone when the needle is way up there and have them hook up their diagnostic tool to see what the actual temperature is.
mstar218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:03 AM   #7
420olds
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast2furious01 View Post
you know what, i've been having the same problem with mine. I know hoses and the thermostat need to alittle "freshen up", but i've notice that when i put the ac on the temperature comes down and stays down as long as i have the ac on. I'm thinking that i should take a look at those fans too huh?
That is what mine does exactly. It gets really hot and when I turn the air on it cools down considerably. It's like I have to "kick start" the fans. Until I turn the air on the fans don't come on. I checked the fuses and they are good so maybe it is the relay fuses? You know the big square bus fuses. Well I will try and replace the two bus fuses to see if one of those are bad. If not then what? Please don't say new water pump. I will also check the connections to the fans themselves and see if they are all good and tight. I'm hoping it might just be the relay cause like I said they won't turn on till I turn the air on. Anymore advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:05 AM   #8
420olds
GX Member

Also the temp has been in the 90's. The problem was happening before all the new hoses and t-stat.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:12 AM   #9
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
When my gauge is at the half mark my scanner says its at 200*.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #10
super white alero1
Trying to get it together

super white alero1 is on a distinguished road
420olds that's normal, unfornatunateky. The reason why the temp goes down with ac on is becuase of air flow. With ac on the cooling fan automatically kick into high speed. On GM vehicle the fan don't even kick on till about 220 F. hook a scanner up and rev it at 3000rpm and watch the fan. 1st is low speed, then is shut off at about 185 F. I never gotten the 2nd speed to kick except on the hwy or ac on.
super white alero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #11
CBLOHM3400
Trying To Help

CBLOHM3400 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to CBLOHM3400
maybe a air pocket in the system?
Old 06-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #12
Pacho

temperature sensor