Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 04-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
irondiezl3
GLS member

irondiezl3 is on a distinguished road
grand am vs. alero

im sure there are previous posts but curious what others think opinion or fact welcome. i know grand ams have 175hp and aleros 170. no here is my opinion and anyone can correct me if im wrong. ive owned both cars so this isnt becuz im an alero owner but i feel like the ram air is a gimick. 5 hp is 5hp and ive learned its not easy to gain horse but, wouldnt the extra weight on a grand am as opposed to an alero eliminate the 5 hp the supposed ram air gives it? all opinions welcome!!!
irondiezl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
Onewing91
GX Member

Onewing91 is on a distinguished road
I don't know any numbers, but I was screwing around with my buddy (who has a 2000 Grand Am with the 3400) and my Alero was faster than his Grand Am. But we were just messing, so, it could have been just due to me pushing the gas pedal faster or something, I mean, their both Automatics, so it wasnt anything due to shifting... idk..

"I have a fever, and the only cure is more cowbell!"

3400 SFI V6 Mod: WAI, LEDs inside, 12" MPL Subs, Kenwood Amp, Clear Corners, nothing major
Onewing91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Satsuriku
V.I.P. Punching Bag

Satsuriku is an unknown quantity at this point
the alero and the gagt are the same car (n-body) with different body panels and interior obviously, same engine, same suspension, so i dont know where the extra 5hp even came from if there the engine is the same and there both stock.....at the track, it would all depend on the driver at that point and the condition of there car
Old 04-09-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
rowdygls
V.I.P. Member

rowdygls is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to rowdygls Send a message via MSN to rowdygls Send a message via Yahoo to rowdygls
The Grand Am Gt actually has different gearing making it a tad bit quicker and also a slightly higher top speed. The SE is essentially the same as the Alero

Chapter Member
rowdygls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
irondiezl3
GLS member

alright now were getting somewhere idk i had a gt to be honest i think my alero was a little bit quicker
Old 04-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
Onewing91
GX Member

Onewing91 is on a distinguished road
I've always wondered, because a lot of people seem to compare GT and Aleros, but my friend's car is an SE and it has the 3400 engine just like my Alero, looks the same under the hood pretty much. Mines cleaner but that's cuz I care.. lol but the speedometer (donno if this matters) goes to 120 in his car, and 140 in my Alero.. Again, I am pretty ignorant on whether that means anything, but its there...

"I have a fever, and the only cure is more cowbell!"

3400 SFI V6 Mod: WAI, LEDs inside, 12" MPL Subs, Kenwood Amp, Clear Corners, nothing major
Onewing91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satsuriku View Post
the alero and the gagt are the same car (n-body) with different body panels and interior obviously, same engine, same suspension, so i dont know where the extra 5hp even came from if there the engine is the same and there both stock.....at the track, it would all depend on the driver at that point and the condition of there car

The Ram air on the GAGT makes cooler air enter directly in the air filter from the outside, thats where the 5hp comes from. Maybe its not 5, but it is slightly more than the Alero.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
/\ It's a joke though. Doesn't do anything. There is a reason the GT owners still switch to a cai. The gearing difference is the only big change.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
irondiezl3
GLS member

idk when i switched to cold air i noticed a improvement id love to see both go head to head with same start off the line automatics to see whod win.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #10
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post
/\ It's a joke though. Doesn't do anything. There is a reason the GT owners still switch to a cai. The gearing difference is the only big change.

I agree with you, it must not be as big as 5hp, but it has to make a difference when you talk about stock versus stock.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #11
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
pontiac still in business, olds isn't. grand am wins.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #12
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
The GA, Alero, and Malibu are all the same car. The Bu usually has the 3100 in it.

The gearing is different in the GAGT but the GA SE is the same as the Alero GLS. The first gear is smaller than that in the Alero. I think the Alero has a 3.08 first gear and the GA is like 3.12, but I could be wrong. Plus the GAGT's top gear is smaller than the Alero, so the Alero would take longer to get there, but the Alero would be faster than the GAGT in top speed numbers.

The 5 extra HP doesn't come from the Ram Air. Yes it's an OK intake system, but he bulk of that 5 would come from programing on the PCM, which is different than the Alero's

The GAGT's accel is better, and that's about it. I'm sure the Alero's accel is faster than the Malibu's

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #13
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewing91 View Post
lol but the speedometer (donno if this matters) goes to 120 in his car, and 140 in my Alero.. Again, I am pretty ignorant on whether that means anything, but its there...

Well let me teach you.

The GAGT has a rumored top speed of 153 MPH and the Alero's is close to 160. I've seen sims that had the Alero as fast as 166 but nothing slower than 158.

Of course that a sim program, but a few people say it's possible, but you would need a hell of a lot of room to test that theroty. It's hard to stop a car going that fast.

Jackel's car (John) car was dynoed and it topped out his sppedo at the 140 mark.

Actually in the 1980's car manfactures were only allow to put in speedos that topped out at 85. The federal government thought this would cut down on speeding and the max speed limit was set by the federal government at 55 MPH for all states. HA HA HA try going 55 on a Michigan highway today

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #14
bigdaddyD
GL Member

bigdaddyD is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bigdaddyD
you can still find people driving 55 on MI highways, they usually are small GEO sized cars, aka roadkill for semi's.
bigdaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #15
irondiezl3
GLS member

so a grand am gt shifts faster or slower? so technically the gt is faster off the line?

if you put a cold air and a exhaust in a alero would that be enough to even them out?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #16
surreal_awakening
GL Member

surreal_awakening is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to surreal_awakening
I never saw simulators that high, though I can't say I've looked lately. I think the highest I saw for an Alero was 134. I had mine to the 107mph speed limiter once. Wouldn't do it again in stock form. It was a little skittish. I've been close to 140 in a trick 92 Civic hatch, tin can that it is, and that felt better than 107 in a stock Alero. The speedo in my 96 Cherokee only goes to 85, and that's about 5mph more than the old girl is willing to give me unless I'm going downhill with a tailwind lol
surreal_awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #17
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Redog i believe the GT FDR is 3.29. Surreal my 92 cherokee was a beast, it would spin the 85 mph speedo all the way back to zero. Im sure that it isnt calibrated and i was doing 95-100 at best but it was fun. My car feels great up to 125-130, but that is with a fairly heavily upgraded suspension and good tires.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #18
surreal_awakening
GL Member

surreal_awakening is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to surreal_awakening
My old 93 Cherokee 5-spd was far more apt to wind out the speedo past 85. This 96 Country with an auto is a bit of a dog. But I didn't buy it for speed. I bought it because when I rolled my 93, I was able to turn it back over on its wheels and drive it home.
surreal_awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #19
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
HA HA HA try going 55 on a Michigan highway today

they have min. speed limit and maximum speed limits the part of michigan i went through. min was 55 max was 70 although i saw a lot of people doing about 90.
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #20
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Well let me teach you.

The GAGT has a rumored top speed of 153 MPH and the Alero's is close to 160. I've seen sims that had the Alero as fast as 166 but nothing slower than 158.

Of course that a sim program, but a few people say it's possible, but you would need a hell of a lot of room to test that theroty. It's hard to stop a car going that fast.

Jackel's car (John) car was dynoed and it topped out his sppedo at the 140 mark.

Actually in the 1980's car manfactures were only allow to put in speedos that topped out at 85. The federal government thought this would cut down on speeding and the max speed limit was set by the federal government at 55 MPH for all states. HA HA HA try going 55 on a Michigan highway today

Laugh. More uninformed dribble.

There is no way in hell a stock Alero can hit 160.

Hitting 140 on a dyno means nothing, it's drag that stops a cars top speed for the most part (unless the car is quite powerful).

Cobalt SS/SC's are not governed and are drag limited around 155-160mph. That's a car with stock over 200hp AT THE WHEELS. Realistically 230-240 crank HP.

Those that have been crazy enough to try in my current car have only gotten their 340hp S4's up to just over 170mph before the speedo ends and they said there wasn't much left anyways.
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote