Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 01-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #21
TheMeaningOfLife
GLS member

TheMeaningOfLife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheMeaningOfLife Send a message via Yahoo to TheMeaningOfLife
Get a set of Kumho's i miss mine something fierce.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #22
MixtapeMessiah
Southern Fly Boy returns

MixtapeMessiah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to MixtapeMessiah
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixtapeMessiah View Post
potenza's FTW

bump again

I to have kumhos on my but not the smoothest thanks to the 225/45/18's I have, but once I got a taste of my first oklahoma ice storm I realized they were horrible
Old 01-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #23
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irondiezl3 View Post
cactus u like them how do they do on treadlife? all the reviews are like what you are saying. every single one they have got to be good i heard they look sporty to. id love to hear what you think of them all together

I've got 15k on mine so far and based on that, they will probably last about 40k miles but I also drive the shit out of them. Overall tho, they're by far the best tires I've ever bought. And yes the tread is sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
General tires are made in Korea and are just garbage.

That may be the case for some of them but absolutely do not knock the altimax until you try them.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:18 AM   #24
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
potenza's FTW
I had the Potenza ZR-i's on my car. they are freakin awesome on wet pavement...but absolutely terrible in the snow.
if you drive in the snow, get something else for the snow. if you don't, Potenza > *
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #25
MixtapeMessiah
Southern Fly Boy returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbinoMonkeyRat View Post
I had the Potenza ZR-i's on my car. they are freakin awesome on wet pavement...but absolutely terrible in the snow.
if you drive in the snow, get something else for the snow. if you don't, Potenza > *

Yea exactly, we just had a ice storn here in oklahoma and my kuhmos are horrible...I tried to turn and I kept going straight and hit a curb goin about 15 mph. effed my inner and outer tie rod up on the pass. side...so if u live somewhere where it snows u get a snow tire or all season tire atleast..Potenza's FTW none the less
Old 01-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #26
TheMeaningOfLife
GLS member

TheMeaningOfLife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheMeaningOfLife Send a message via Yahoo to TheMeaningOfLife
Well mine where kumho ecsta(sp?) track tires. they were 245/45/17's and they rode nice drove nice handled nice but like its been stated they dont like snow. you plow more snow then the accual trucks do as big as they were
Old 01-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #27
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
I know what you mean, I had 255/40/17 kumho ecsta when my car was driven year round

Now I am waiting for these to come out for my next tires, max performance summer only wet/dry, they have been getting a lot of rave reviews..

http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Etire%2Ent05
Old 01-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #28
MixtapeMessiah
Southern Fly Boy returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeaningOfLife View Post
Well mine where kumho ecsta(sp?) track tires. they were 245/45/17's and they rode nice drove nice handled nice but like its been stated they dont like snow. you plow more snow then the accual trucks do as big as they were

I have kuhmo ecstas 225/45/18 summer only tires on mine and here in okc we just had an ice storm this morning, and I was literally 40 feet away from my garage door and I tried to turn going slower than shit on some ice and I just kept going straight, you can forget about brakes and wham hit a curb and busted my inner tie rod...no matter how good ur tire is it still aint no match for ice...inless u got chains on
Old 01-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #29
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Yea exactly, we just had a ice storn here in oklahoma and my kuhmos are horrible...I tried to turn and I kept going straight and hit a curb goin about 15 mph. effed my inner and outer tie rod up on the pass. side...so if u live somewhere where it snows u get a snow tire or all season tire atleast..Potenza's FTW none the less

dunlop graspic ftw!

i can't drift on snow, even if i try...
Old 01-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #30
MixtapeMessiah
Southern Fly Boy returns

for dry and wet conditions potenzas ftw..

as for snow get a snow tire, as for ice were all screwed cuz no tire is good on straight ice...I know my kuhmos failed horribly for me today
Old 01-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #31
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mixtape you are blowing this storm out of proportion. I am in OKC right now, compared to MN this is a slush storm. My Neo Gen's are working fine today. I had potenza G009's. They were bad in the winter in ND but managable. Nothing like my new Dunlop winter tires.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #32
MixtapeMessiah
Southern Fly Boy returns

alerored Im from El Paso, TX u think we have ice storms down there? Nah bro

As for the whole tire issue, if ur up north and are in actual winters where it snows get winter tires and if ur from the desert like I am you dont need winter tires obviously. If you read I was talking about the potenzas being a good dry and rain tire, and after that I said if u are in an area with snow or ice..get a winter tire or chains...enough said
Old 01-26-2009, 10:20 PM   #33
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
You did not understand me. I am currently in OKC with my Nitto NeoGen's on my 18"s. They work well here because this really isn't that bad. At home my snow tires are necessary but in an area like this you can honestly get by on summer tires if you are careful. I even did two winters in north dakota on potenza's and a little caution goes a long way.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #34
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
I use Kumhos, too, on the front.....
since no matter what I put on there, they are burned off in 6 months, anyway.

I go light, and go cheap.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #35
MixtapeMessiah
Southern Fly Boy returns

u still dont get the point, Im from the DESERT we dont have ice storms so u act like I know how to drive it in, this is getting way too far off point I believe I was talkin to irondiezl3 about not getting generals and letting him know bridgestone are the best route to go for what hes lookin for..

If u wanna get off point Im sure we can do that as well..my kuhmos suck ass on ice enough said again
Old 01-27-2009, 02:37 AM   #36
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
General tires are made in Korea and are just garbage.

Be sure that the tires you buy are made here in the States. Tires made in Mexico are just like anything else made there. (Like the front tires on My Delta 205-75-14's and made in Mexico, they were louder than the rears and they were 235-60-14's and made here. Same tread too. )

LOL. Did you not even look at the link that was posted? Those generals are made in the US.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #37
irondiezl3
GLS member

irondiezl3 is on a distinguished road
yea they are us tires for sure. lol which scares me. screw that as far as im concerned everything from overseas is amazing. idk i think im going to try the altimax i mean how can 313 people who give these tires a 9 or higher out of 10 be lying right? besides i drive a alero not a vet you know? only thing that concerns me is what cactus said about the 40,000k they have the altimax rt which is just a little harder to i assume last longer. but shit man my shitty goodyear integritys are over a year old have 21k by me and are 8/10. granted i rotate them every three months and drive like a old lady but still i bet im gunna miss that having a tire basically not wear down. then again they fckn drive like sh*t i feel every bump and rougher than hell and loud to.

is there anyone that would be willing who has the 2156015 that would be willing to quick snap a front shot of the wheel and post it here?

Last edited by irondiezl3 : 01-28-2009 at 04:58 PM.
irondiezl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #38
CactusWill
GLS member

Quote:
only thing that concerns me is what cactus said about the 40,000k they have the altimax rt which is just a little harder to i assume last longer.

The thing is tho, that pretty much all tires actually wear faster than what they say. The tread warranty is just a sales tactic and if the tires don't actually last that long, then you get partial credit towards buying a new set from the same manufacturer, which is exactly what tiremakers want.

Quote:
is there anyone that would be willing who has the 2156015 that would be willing to quick snap a front shot of the wheel and post it here?

Its getting dark now but I'll try to do it tomorrow or friday.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #39
irondiezl3
GLS member

irondiezl3 is on a distinguished road
o man ud be the best considering im gettin those id love that. just got a email from general. he stated to me if i want the most comftorable ride get the rts which are basically identicle to hps just few minor differences. he said hps while still give a great ride have harder sidewalls for better control and performance like steering. where the rts have softer sidewalls and possibly a slight addition in comfy ride. he summed it up with basically the hp has a few extra features and slight better handling with minimal difference in comfort loss. bottom line if u have same car as me and u say they are good thats about all i need to know.
irondiezl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #40
CactusWill
GLS member

Yeah I couldn't really comment on the ride part. I switched from worn out michelin pilots to these ones and didn't notice any ride difference. The traction was a big improvement tho.