Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 01-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #41
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
ok so since i am a newbie at doing a bottom end how long should it take to do the crank and bearings???? cause once i get the parts i really want to get it running again before spring well actually it will be my winter project have some ideas on what i want to do like get power windows in it along with the factory fog lights, and possibly build a cold air intake for it so i know i am getting cold air not just engine heat!!!! Feel free to give me ideas on how i can go about all of that it would be greatly appreciated...

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #42
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by twagn View Post
3.5 dual cam Intrigue motor would be cool if it fit
if they can put a corvette engine in a solstice, then a 3.5 can fit in the alero....just gotta get the proper mounts, tran, etc. LOTS of work
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #43
Alerojester
GL Member

Ok so we scrapped the bottom end idea found a motor to replace the bad one with and then i guess i will have a motor to build up! So my question is how long should it take to switch the two? good one for bad one cause i might just end up doing it all by myself if i can't find someone who wants to help me do it.. just a question for all of you that have done it before me.... and i am open to suggestions on what to do with the motor i pull out..

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Old 01-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #44
Caboose73

It takes for ever if your by yourself but you should be able to do it in a weekend.Just pm if you have any questions cause sense my built motor blew up ive had to do 2 engine swaps in the past month so i can help you with anything you need to know.

Edit: I finally droped the blown motor off to Markus so i plan on doing another swap at the end of February and i promise ill have lots of pics and a nice write up of how to pull and put in an LD9.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #45
Alerojester
GL Member

thank you Caboose if i do have any questions i will be sure to ask. i think i found a friend with a shop to do it at and he has air tools!!!! but like i said i will make sure to pm you if i have anymore questions

Old 01-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #46
A57
GL Member

A57 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to A57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerojester View Post
Ok so we scrapped the bottom end idea found a motor to replace the bad one with and then i guess i will have a motor to build up! So my question is how long should it take to switch the two? good one for bad one cause i might just end up doing it all by myself if i can't find someone who wants to help me do it.. just a question for all of you that have done it before me.... and i am open to suggestions on what to do with the motor i pull out..

Well alerojester,
If you have air tools now it should take you about a day to remove and day or so to install...
I would have help yea,but you little too far away...
Old 01-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #47
Alerojester
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A57 View Post
Well alerojester,
If you have air tools now it should take you about a day to remove and day or so to install...
I would have help yea,but you little too far away...

thank you A57 your right that is a ways away i found help so hopefully less time

Old 02-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #48
Weazel
GL Member

Weazel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Weazel
Sometimes I wish my 3.4 was a 2.4 5 speed
Weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #49
Alerojester
GL Member

yeah a 5 speed would be great in mine too but i really don't want to modify a car that i still owe $4k on till it mine not that banks

Old 02-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #50
Alerojester
GL Member

Ok so i am going back to the rebuild idea this should be fun.... hoping i can get it all done cheap and that there isn't alot of metal shavings in the oil pan if so then i guess i will have to tear it the rest of the way down BOTTOM END HERE I COME

Old 03-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #51
Alerojester
GL Member

just pulled out all my stock air intake tubing prepping for the engine work so i can get a cai on once the motor is in.... sorry i am kinda just tryin to find small things to do till the engine gets here.......

Old 03-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #52
Weazel
GL Member

Weazel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Weazel
Quote:
yeah a 5 speed would be great in mine too but i really don't want to modify a car that i still owe $4k on till it mine not that banks

...But you want to put a 3.8 in it
Weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #53
Caboose73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazel View Post
...But you want to put a 3.8 in it

thats easy it just drops right in
Old 03-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #54
Alerojester
GL Member

i have actually gotten away from that idea i like the LD9 for the gas mileage i got in it so i am just going to keep with it.....there are just too many possibilities i can do with it so i am going to tinker with the one that's in it

Old 04-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #55
Alerojester
GL Member

ok so still trying to figure out which would be easier? taking the engine out top side or bottom (beings i won't have a hoist to use just a floor jack and jack stands). all my help has bailed on me and i have been told that the LD9 has oiling issues? and rod bearing problems?? i started thinking we had one with over 150k miles on it and it ran perfect now i have this one and its locked up on the bottom end.....

Old 04-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #56
Alerojester
GL Member

Bump

Old 04-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #57
PappaSmurf
GLS member

PappaSmurf is on a distinguished road
Taking the engine out would be easiest through the top side. Once you have everything disassembled (AND UNBOLTED) just take the motor mount by the radiaotor overflow tank off the car and pull the motor toward the passengers side of the car, disengaging it from the tranny. Then pop that monkey out and spank it like it was only your business...LOL
You HAVE TO HAVE a cherry picker!
Old 06-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #58
Alerojester
GL Member

Exclamation

so an update on this whole thing looking on craigslist today found a place in a town about 20 mins. from me that has like ummmmm 10 alero's and a bunch of parts. found two motors one has 103k for $350 ($400) if they pull it and another one with 130k for $300 ($350) for the same reason as above need to know what my fellow modders think before i commit to one or the other. they both run extremely well and there isn't a tick, knock or rattle in either one.. so i am happy just don't know which one to go for..... HELP PLEASE

Old 06-26-2010, 11:37 PM   #59
A57
GL Member

A57 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to A57
Quote:
so an update on this whole thing looking on craigslist today found a place in a town about 20 mins. from me that has like ummmmm 10 alero's and a bunch of parts. found two motors one has 103k for $350 ($400) if they pull it and another one with 130k for $300 ($350) for the same reason as above need to know what my fellow modders think before i commit to one or the other. they both run extremely well and there isn't a tick, knock or rattle in either one.. so i am happy just don't know which one to go for..... HELP PLEASE

IMHO, get the 103k.....
Old 06-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #60
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
All else being equal the lower miles wins...
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote