Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Paint and Body Work

Old 02-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Rims-an info thread

So I was searching for information on rims and what would be good to know when buying a set on the site, but I was not able to come across anything. I do know that our vehicles are designed for a certain size and when you go outside of this range "spacers" (I think they're called that) are needed to keep from confusing the car's speedometer, computer, etc.

So I was wondering, for example: I buy a new set of 18" rims for my 2004. What do I need to know? What are the best tires to put on? Can a goodyear put them in or would a customs shop need to do it? Essentially, what are the steps required in the acquisition of rims so they work properly on the vehicle?

I post to tap your guys' knowledge not only for myself, but also so the next noob that comes along can easily pick out the thread with proper info and subject line.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
you'd be looking for an 18x7.5rim with a 35-42 offset preferrably. And if you put the right size tires on you won't have a problem with you speedometer.

The spacers you are talking about space the wheel out, towards the edge of the fender. But this does nothing but cosmetics and won't effect the car's computer or speedometer.

1010tires.com has a bunch of great calculators with offset calculators, tire size calculators and everything else you need to make sure the rims and tires you buy fit correctly.

Yes, any goodyear place can install a set of rims and tires.....
Old 02-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
a4d2a0m
GL Member

a4d2a0m is on a distinguished road
I would check out tirerack.com

I got mine from there.. They will only give you the right rims for your car. and a good price on packages.

Not sure how far away you are but there is a distribution centre in louisiana, maybe you can pick them up?..

a4d2a0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
They also short you on a lot of rims that we know fit. I had to sign a waiver saying they weren't responsible if my rims didn't fit. But i knew they would. I think they had them listed under Infiniti g35 rims....
Old 02-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #5
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
I just did away with that waiver stuff by telling them I had a Acura TL when I ordered my tires for the Alero.. Or a S2000 for the ones on the Beretta.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Our stock rims are 15" but is there a vast difference between that an 18" rims as far as looks or will people really hardly notice? I have no desire to go down the street looking like I am "big ballin" or something. 17" seems to be the happy medium but i was hoping for some pics on our cars for better comparison. New rims and tires are the next step.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
TdotAlero
GL Member

TdotAlero is on a distinguished road
There will be a huuuge difference between 18 and 15. Mainly since now you will have to put on what's called "low-profile" tires. These tires are very skinny and wil bring out your rim a lot.
Honestly there usually is a slight difference in the cost when it comes to deciding between 17 and 18, but 18 looks much better. And if you go with the right design, you will not be "big ballin".
Here, a pic of my Alero with 18" alluminium rims and Michelin low profile tires (245/45/18 - Michelin Pilot).

Attachment 8606

Last edited by TdotAlero : 10-25-2012 at 09:08 PM.
TdotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

I love it. 18s it is then-thanks
Old 03-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
Malibu369258
GL Member

Malibu369258 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotAlero View Post
Here, a pic of my Alero with 18" alluminium rims and Michelin low profile tires (245/45/18 - Michelin Pilot).

That has to be at least a 5% difference to the stock wheel diameter, if you really are on a tire with an aspect ratio of 45 with 18's...

I'm running a 235/45/17. Here's my 17" OZ Racing Superleggera.

Malibu369258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

[quote=Malibu369258;531790]That has to be at least a 5% difference to the stock wheel diameter, if you really are on a tire with an aspect ratio of 45 with 18's...

I have no idea what you're talking about with that and it scares me lol.

I'm really liking these-hopefully the link works.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...true&s w=1280
Old 03-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
those rims look good

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #12
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

These are interesting too. My car is white...I'm worried about having too much white and silver and not enough dark colors to blend it properly. I'm interested to hear what you guys think on it.

Remember: i have the arctic white color scheme.

1. http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW... true&sw=1280

2. http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...t rue&sw=1280

3. http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...true&s w=1280

I personally like #3 the most so far...And is there a major difference between silver with machined lip and chrome plated aside from cost?

Last edited by XanderWiFi : 03-14-2010 at 09:43 AM.
XanderWiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Malibu, I like your ride. Tasteful and clean.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #14
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...true&sw=1 280

I REALLY like these...but they only have two in stock... : (
Old 03-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #15
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

What does the offset indicate? And holy hell why are the tires more than the rims???? I'm way out of my league here...buying tires to match is even tougher. I don't plan to be racing, I just want good looking tires to drive on that match my rims...they talk about optimum warming temps and everything which I know about but how the heck am I going to choose?

Last edited by XanderWiFi : 03-13-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #16
Malibu369258
GL Member

Malibu369258 is on a distinguished road
You want to keep the overall wheel diameter as close to stock as possible if you want your speedometer to read accurate.

You can use the calculator below to compare your stock tire size to another size.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit
Malibu369258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #17
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

bah

Last edited by XanderWiFi : 03-14-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #18
Vic28
GL Member

Vic28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Vic28
Idk why would you pick the first one, thats a snow tire. The second one, thats like the best all season high performance tire, but the money is up there too. Usually all season low profile cost more(more rare) than just summer tires on low pros depending the application, you can defenetly find other tires that are good and cheaper.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #19
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

I'm originally from the snow belt. What if I drive back?

What's a good brand too? I'm just looking at the American ones right now. Never heard anything good about the others.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #20
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Here's the link with all the tires compatible with the rim. If someone has one of them that has worked really well for them I would love to hear about it.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...kipOv er=true