Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Paint and Body Work

Old 03-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #21
TdotAlero
GL Member

TdotAlero is on a distinguished road
For the tires, if you were to choose between the two choices posted, Michelin Pilot all the way (if you can pay for them). At work, many people choose to go second hand tires. For about half a price of brand new, you get a tire with about 80% thread left. The winter tire you posted is good too. But you can't use it in summer - soft rubber will burn too fast. Buy two sets or better, here's the alternative I have. I'm running 18" with Michelin Pilots in the summer. In winter I put on my stock 15" steel rims with Pirelli Snow tires. Best combo ever.
TdotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:33 AM   #22
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
... This is what I'll be getting next most likely..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....n&autoModClar=
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #23
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotAlero View Post
For the tires, if you were to choose between the two choices posted, Michelin Pilot all the way (if you can pay for them). At work, many people choose to go second hand tires. For about half a price of brand new, you get a tire with about 80% thread left. The winter tire you posted is good too. But you can't use it in summer - soft rubber will burn too fast. Buy two sets or better, here's the alternative I have. I'm running 18" with Michelin Pilots in the summer. In winter I put on my stock 15" steel rims with Pirelli Snow tires. Best combo ever.

This actually helps a TON! Because I never thought about the rubber being harder or softer for winter/summer. I do plan to keep my 15's for just what you described-but that is in case I go back to Ohio. Other than that I am in El Paso-and though it gets cold during the night and mornings it is hot as balls the majority of the time.

I read on some of those tires that they get them hot so they stick better and all that jive. I have no idea what design of tire to get-some of the tires they say get so hot and sticky that it is great for racing but you lose mpg-I don't want that! A nice grand touring tire seems like it would do: something that looks and rides nice but isn't going to throw me off the road.

So I feel stuck. They throw 100 different sets and sifting through them is proving to be tedious and difficult.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:27 AM   #24
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
1. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiresB...Alero+GL+Sedan

2. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiresB...Alero+GL+Sedan

3. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiresB...Alero+GL+Sedan

4. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiresB...Alero+GL+Sedan

Alrighty, I did a rough narrowing and got it down to four different sets of tires that have good reviews and customer satisfaction on their website. Now I wanted to run these by you guys to see if you have any experience with them and if you would be willing to share that with me.

It's a big investment. I just want to be sure.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #25
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

I did a side by side comparison and the Continentals really seem to take the cake...
Old 03-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #26
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
... This is what I'll be getting next most likely..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....n&autoModClar=

Cliff,

Yeah I really like the reviews this tire received as well and the price is great. Comes from Portugal though...not sure if that is a good thing...
Old 03-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #27
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
i like #1 rims the best, although i think you could do better. I also think all these tires are overrated. I usually get some cheap ass tires, or used tires and have never had any problems. Shoot, I have some shitty kumho's on stock rims and pulled a 2.0 60ft at bandimere......
Old 03-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #28
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
i like #1 rims the best, although i think you could do better. I also think all these tires are overrated. I usually get some cheap ass tires, or used tires and have never had any problems. Shoot, I have some shitty kumho's on stock rims and pulled a 2.0 60ft at bandimere......

You like the mix of black rims with a white car? I am def considering those but the black, though mixing well, seems to take the pazazz away some.

On another note, I went to match the regency rims with the continental tires and got this message:

The following tire you have selected has a higher load rating than the vehicle's Original Equipment (O.E.) tires. This typically results in increased ride harshness, which some customers may find undesirable.

Anyone know anything about that?

Nooo....and the tires are on back order too? What the hay?

Last edited by XanderWiFi : 03-14-2010 at 10:48 AM.
XanderWiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #29
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Oh God...I just dropped $1400 on the regency rims and pirelli tires...I hope I am not making a mistake in this....BAH!

It's too late! It's too late! Ima hyperventilate...
Old 03-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #30
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
black rims are hawt, especially on a white car....
Old 03-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #31
TdotAlero
GL Member

Great choice to go with the Pirelli tires. I have put a set of those 18" Pirelli on a G35 about a month ago, and I asked the guy later how he likes them. He said the traction he gets is really good, as we ll as a nice, smooth ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderWiFi View Post
I read on some of those tires that they get them hot so they stick better and all that jive. I have no idea what design of tire to get-some of the tires they say get so hot and sticky that it is great for racing but you lose mpg-I don't want that! A nice grand touring tire seems like it would do: something that looks and rides nice but isn't going to throw me off the road.
The snow tires are made using very soft rubber. If you look at the thread design, it is supposed to look (and act) like a sponge, absorbing water and snow and throwing it away. When you drive on a cold, snowy road, they work perfectly. However most of them have a very low speed rating. This means that if you go on a highway, having 4 regular snow tires, and do a regular 130km/h, the rubber becomes so soft, close to a chewing gum. The rubber sticks to the road at a great speed (also because it heats up), and what happens with time, is what is called "feathering". Feathering is a tire edge wear, when due to high speed and tire temperature, the edge deforms and creates uneven spots/bumps. This might later lead to quicker tire wear, and, of course, a very rough and bumpy ride. So tbh snow tires are the best for city driving in a snow.

On a side note, when you put the new rims and tires on, don't forget to get the alignment done - you will extend the life of your tires!
Old 03-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #32
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotAlero View Post
Great choice to go with the Pirelli tires. I have put a set of those 18" Pirelli on a G35 about a month ago, and I asked the guy later how he likes them. He said the traction he gets is really good, as we ll as a nice, smooth ride.

On a side note, when you put the new rims and tires on, don't forget to get the alignment done - you will extend the life of your tires!

Great input! And I feel so much better about the pirellis knowing that other's have used and liked them. But why an alignment? How would new tires throw it off kilter?

I'm just terrified that the rims won't look good with the white paint. And I have to tighten my belt for a while...that stuff is not cheap.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #33
TdotAlero
GL Member

Quote:
Great input! And I feel so much better about the pirellis knowing that other's have used and liked them. But why an alignment? How would new tires throw it off kilter?
I am not sure about the quality of roads in Texas, but here, in Toronto we have way too many potholes and speed bumps and other nasty surprises. Over time, when you go over potholes, the tie rods and other parts get shifted and the car becomes un-aligned. The way how you could often easily tell if you need and alignment is when your steering wheel is not straight. If your car is in need of alignment and you don't do it when you get new tires, after a year or so, the inside part of the tire might end up bold, when the outer part will still have plenty of thread left. My place charges 20 bucks to scan the car and to find out if it needs alignment or not. When you take your tires and rims to a tire shop to put them on, try to bargain if they cut scan your car for free. When I install new tires on a car I always recommend doing an alignment (at least two front wheels). A good mechanic can also tell if you need alignment just by looking at your old tires.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #34
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Cliff,

Yeah I really like the reviews this tire received as well and the price is great. Comes from Portugal though...not sure if that is a good thing...

Not sure where my current set came from (which is the older version of these), but they're the best all-season I've ever driven in the snow. Not to mention they grip pretty good for one too.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote