Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 05-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
luckilero7
GL Member

luckilero7 is an unknown quantity at this point
tail light clearing

just got my new alero and been busy including clearing the head light corners... what i am tryin to figure out now is if and how can i clear the orange out of the tail lights. i think i saw a thread on it before but now i cant find it, so can i get some help, how-to, or where i can find the thread please?
luckilero7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
KenshinZero
GLS member

KenshinZero is an unknown quantity at this point
I think thats just the reflection from the bulb, if im not mistaken. I havent realy messed with my tail lights, yet.
KenshinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:44 AM   #3
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
theres no way to clear the tails except for completely removing the outer housing and replacing it with molded plexiglass or something. not nearly as simple as pulling out a reflector like the headlights.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
luckilero7
GL Member

lol well how hard is that to do? and what materials would i need?
i would really like to do this before i tint the rear tail lights. anyone have a how-to, that would be great!
Old 05-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
No one really has a how-to on this. There was a group buy through Anderbra but that went south pretty quickly. It basically consists of having to take out the lense, make a mold of it, then use a molding plastic to make a new one.

If you go that route, it would be best to use LED's because the coloured bulbs won't show up as well without a coloured lense behind the tint.

I have been looking into doing that myself and it will take quite a bit of work so I won't be able to start doing anything like that till end of July-ish.

This is definitely a lot trickier than clearing the corners so do the research well and if you would like, I have a few websites that look like they are alright on how to make molds and stuff but haven't had much of a chance to read through them. This is definitely gonna be a summer project. If you find some stuff out post it so we can get a collective research going and eventually put a how to up if you are interested.

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Vella's Alero
GL Member

also through my research I found out that you could put a tint in the molding plastic so it is all one piece instead of putting it on afterwards which would be pretty cool.

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Old 05-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
luckilero7
GL Member

well ima look into it then but even when i tint the tail lights im not goin super dark but rather an actual tint of only 2 or 3 coats. looks like il do some research and il let u know what i find
Old 05-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
Vella's Alero
GL Member

For the tint, it depends on how much of the colouring you put into the mold that determines the darkness. I still have to talk to a guy on another forum to figure this out. But even with the different shades of tint LED's would most likely still be best for light output so cops don't bother you depending on where you are.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
luckilero7
GL Member

that is true, didnt think about that one. the main city cops arent bad its the township and sub division cops that seem to give a little harder time with little things like that
Old 05-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #10
KenshinZero
GLS member

Im glad I never poped off my tail lamps and tried to remove the reflector, lol
Old 05-30-2010, 11:54 PM   #11
MattismodderX
GLS member

MattismodderX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MattismodderX
use vht nightshade. instant badass
Old 05-30-2010, 11:55 PM   #12
luckilero7
GL Member

well i brought one of the tail light assemblies in to look at and i have a simple idea as how to remove the orange without doing the complicated molding so before i go buy a test tail light from the junkyard can/how does one seperate or dissassemble the housing to get into the reflective area behind the lens?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:11 AM   #13
luckilero7
GL Member

well i brought one of the tail light assemblies in to look at and i have a simple idea as how to remove the orange without doing the complicated molding so before i go buy a test tail light from the junkyard can/how does one seperate or dissassemble the housing to get into the reflective area behind the lens?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:15 AM   #14
luckilero7
GL Member

what is vht nightshade...explanation please? i assume ur talking about the tint for the lens?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:22 AM   #15
luckilero7
GL Member

what is vht nightshade...explanation please? i assume ur talking about the tint for the lens?
Old 05-31-2010, 02:54 AM   #16
MattismodderX
GLS member

MattismodderX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MattismodderX
vht nightshades: http://www.vhtpaint.com/niteshades.html

on my alero. could have used another coat but id rather not have it that dark. i used the rest of the can on the headlights today. pics tomorrow : D

Old 05-31-2010, 02:56 AM   #17
KenshinZero
GLS member

Double post much, lol

I’m gonna take a whack at this, I’m probably wrong tho, I think there sealed like the headlamps, so the silicone needs to be heated so it becomes soft and flexible, then carefully cut the silicone, or pull the plastic lens off. Good luck!!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:58 AM   #18
Vella's Alero
GL Member

That is one part of the project I haven't looked at yet. I just got an entire set of lights (head and tail )for $20 off of a local seller so I will be looking at them when I can to see how to take them off because in order to make the molds the will obviously need to come off.

And yes, if you wanted t just go the tint route, VHT nightshades is a great solution. spray on multiple thin coats and you are set to go from there.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:49 AM   #19
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
the tail lights do not come apart like the headlights. you have to use a dremel to cut them open.

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:18 AM   #20
luckilero7
GL Member

sorry about the double posts, doing the post from my phone which acts up sometimes. so one has to use a dremel huh? have any pics of the cutting process or where to cut? i assume try to cut underneath the lens but above the rubber and black plastic back? and putting that back together consist of? sorry about all the questions, just really want to do this and soon but dont want to mess it all up either