Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 11-26-2016, 11:23 AM   #1
JustinG
GX Member

JustinG is on a distinguished road
Pic request

Hi everyone, I have a 99 alero that I am working on as a project car. There is a hose that comes right after the throttle body and plugs in-between the throttle body and the maf sensor. Now this hose goes to the back of the engine and plugs into a hole in my alero, the problem is this hole is really big and the hose is just dangling in there, this seems to me like the engine might be losing compression. Can someone post a picture of their alero 3.4 that clearly shows where this hose is plugged into? I don't know if this hose is supposed to be plugged into a gasket (which makes sense) that seals up the entire hole.

I have added in a pic with a red arrow just in case I am not being clear.
Capture2.jpg
JustinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't have a picture of it but it plugs into the back valve cover and there should be a rubber grommet on it that makes it snug... You'll have to find a new hose as the grommet is actually part of the hose not a separate piece... Hit up a junk yard and grab one from any 3400 car, they're all the same as far as i know

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:23 PM   #3
JustinG
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0123 View Post
I don't have a picture of it but it plugs into the back valve cover and there should be a rubber grommet on it that makes it snug... You'll have to find a new hose as the grommet is actually part of the hose not a separate piece... Hit up a junk yard and grab one from any 3400 car, they're all the same as far as i know

Appreciate this, the piece on the other side of the hose didn't make sense. One time I went to autozone and the guy ordered a grommet but it was so far from a good fit that I just gave up on it. The more and more I work on the car is the more I just want to make everything work better. I will look for that hose once I can figure out the name. Thanks again for you help, finally.. another mystery solved.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
JustinG
GX Member

Does this look like it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GS33405-Vict...JXRXkp&vxp=mtr
Old 11-27-2016, 08:47 AM   #5
jlhog
GX Member

jlhog is on a distinguished road
Does this picture help?
Old 11-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #6
01OhioAlero
GX Member

01OhioAlero is on a distinguished road
I know what your talking about goes into valve cover, I honestly have gave up on it, mine comes out once a week lol.
01OhioAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:32 PM   #7
JustinG
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhog View Post
Does this picture help?

Actually I am trying to see what the grommet or gasket looks like that goes to the other end of where the hose is plugged in from the picture I posted. Right now I am browsing all over the place to find the name of the hose and I am sure once I find the name a pic on the web will reveal everything. There is a miss when the engine is idling and I am trying to get all the bases covered on what it could be.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #8
JustinG
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01OhioAlero View Post
I know what your talking about goes into valve cover, I honestly have gave up on it, mine comes out once a week lol.

Really.. hahaha. Is there any effect with idling and the hose not seated in the grommet? When my wife got this car back from her dad after he passed away a few years ago I decided to fix it up. Whoever worked on the car for her dad over the years really butchered it up, there were many bolts and screws and pieces missing. Things were shaking around and not steady, error codes all over the place. Right how I am down to one error code about the rear channel motor pack does not move, and the rough idling.

I really want to get this car fixed up to the point where its really reliable and I can use it as my to and from work car. Its funny that whenever the guys at work talk to me about working on this car at times they laugh. They always say to just get a better car and fix that up instead, may be so but this is really fun to me and I can't believe that I was actually able to fix all those problems. So many things never worked and now they do.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:57 PM   #9
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinG View Post
Really.. hahaha. Is there any effect with idling and the hose not seated in the grommet? .......

Yes, a big vacuum leak. Any open tubing past the MAF sensor is a lot of trouble for the computer (PCM). It won't be able to properly control fueling or correct transmission operation. As a temporary fix, plug the hole in the large rubber connector that goes from MAF sensor to throttle body (TB).

Once the leak is corrected, unhook the battery for about 20 minutes or so to reset the computer.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:42 PM   #10
3500Alero
GX Member

3500Alero is on a distinguished road
I'm thinking that the grommet on the PCV hose on the intake plenum is the same size as what you need. If so Dorman sells a replacement PCV hose that you can buy and pull the grommet off of.

Dorman #46014
1993 c1500 turbo 3100 swap 5psi.
1976 Cutlass 350 olds stock for now
3500Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:00 PM   #11
JustinG
GX Member

At my job there are many departments, electrical, hvac, plumbing etc etc. I explained to one of the guys what I was trying to do and they went into the supply room and gave me a piece of rubber that looks like an end link, it seems more like a bushing for the plumbing department or something to that effect.

I had to enlarge the hole in the middle of the rubber a little then I had to cut it to the correct length. Once all of that was completed I used a grinder and slowly grinded the rubber all the way around until it fit into the hole of the valve cover. I still had to use a little silicone spray to get the rubber to press inside the cover. Now whenever I rev the engine there is no hesitation and it just works better, everything is nice and snug.

I had looked all over for that rubber gasket, I even called junk yards from ebay and no one had anything, that's when I had to get creative.