Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 03-28-2005, 03:56 AM   #41
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
ok, I see your point. besides, 100cc's can be easily compensated for in HP by other mods.

Basically, I'm down to hunting for a 4t60 for sale cheap, and will even do a partial trade for a 4t45 with only 30k miles on it....know anyone with a 4t60 for sale? I dont think I ever found out what cars they came in. I think maybe GP's

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 04:06 AM   #42
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
i dunno either but you should find out, and go to junk yards, and go to Car-part.com and if all else fails the stealership
Old 03-28-2005, 09:30 AM   #43
sc/alero

you want the 4t65e-hd it comes out of the supercharged gm 3800. i have one setting here on the floor waiting to go in. as discussed in another thread there is a lot that has to be done: mod the cradle becuase the housing or end cap in bigger, ecm reprogram, mounts. or like everyone else says buy the bulletproof 4t45e i personaly am going with the 4t65e-hd
Old 03-28-2005, 09:47 AM   #44
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
4t60 was used in older 3800, 3.4 and 3100 powered cars, and a few others.

you want the 4t65 like he said

id use the 4t65 over the 4t65hd unless your running serious power, the 4t65 had 3.29 gearing (or maybe its 3.33) and the 4t65hd has 2.93 gearing. they do make kits to either change that to 3.29/3.69 (i wouldn't get the 3.69 unless you had a huge turbo or somthing) though

they also makes kits to turn the 4t65 into a 4t65-hd and keep the better gearing
Old 03-28-2005, 10:13 AM   #45
germ

just upgrade your stock tranny, no need to swap in a different style of tranny. you will end up with more trouble IMO if you swap to the 60 or the 65.

IIRC some parts of the 65 tranny's will work in the 4t45 (ie LSD)

i would recommend talking to tejohnson from gagt.com, he is having a built 4t45 done to handle the power.

the 3500 intakes would be the only thing i would swap over IF i really felt like it.

i dont feel the gain from the 3500 intakes are going to be that much of an improvement thought. and no, dont swap the whole motor. you will have to rewire the entire engine bay to accept the PCM and electronic controls that that engine has/uses. not really worth the effort IMO.

one other thing i would possibly consider, if you can drive a manual and you like manuals, consider the Getrag 282 tranny. with a few upgrades, its been know to handle a great deal of power (as long as you start out with a good tranny)
Old 03-28-2005, 11:06 AM   #46
sc/alero

^^^ if you do this talk to springs he is in the process of putting a manual in his alero now. but his car is going to be making around 500hp with his built engine
Old 03-28-2005, 06:39 PM   #47
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
why not look into the 2.0 supercharged engine and tranny from the SS cobalt.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:57 PM   #48
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
hahaha, yeah, I can barely afford the mods as it is, much less the cost for equipment from a brand new model.

I think I'm going to go with germ's idea here:
Quote:
Originally posted by germ@Mar 24 2005, 08:18 PM
first of all, if a person were to have the ability to use their own hands then they can EASILY hit 12's for way less than 10k
you can get a turbo kit and run 12 psi (track only, w/ race gas) on a stock engine and get it to hit 12's.Â;-) you will need to beef up the tranny in order to do it regularly.
a decent tranny "kit" would cost less than 3000 and a decent tranny would cost less than 4000 and thats PUSHING the limits of what it would cost.
me personally, i have done all the work on my car myself and saved a lot of money and learned a lot in the process.
for the engine mods and turbo setup i have spent MAYBE 1750 and a tranny to hold 12's cost around 1500 installed
but keep in mind ive done a lot of trial and error work and having a setup like this and the power it has, expect to have some downtime to work on the car and tune the car.Â;-) no off the shelf PCM is going to work, your going to have to spend the loot on a Powertuner from DHP
I have done my own porting work, race builds, etc. I know some of the intricacies are different, but the concepts are basically the same. As I once said, I have more time than money
But as for a manual conversion, I dont see it happening.
Next up is to find a turbo setup, so I'll have to PM germ and find out how he got his parts and stuff down to under 1800 for the engine.

Next question, in the local paper there's a GM 4L60 tranny for sale for $150, any idea what it is or if it would work?

Old 03-28-2005, 11:05 PM   #49
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

nm, answered my own question, it's from vette's and trucks.

Old 03-28-2005, 11:55 PM   #50
SilverBullet256

SilverBullet256 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to SilverBullet256
ok so i just picked up a turbo from my uncle and im gonna put it in this summer, and im picking up an intercooler from a wrecked eclipse here in town, so im guessing all i need to safely run 8-9 psi is a pcm tune for now?, correct me if im wrong, or germ, i thought you were going to sell your setup, well anyway, germ since you have done a custom setup what would you suggest to me?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:05 AM   #51
germ

silverbullet, without a tune on your car, i would not run past 7 psi, i would do 5psi personally just to be safe.

and im not to sure about that eclipse intercooler. they are quite small and have very small inlet and outlet pipes. i would suggest at least a 2.25" in/out and using at least 2.25" charge piping (dont do 3", its a waste of money unless you plan on 20+ psi, but thats another ball game there).

if you want to know how i did my setup for under 1800, its quite simple. i took my time and found the best deals on what i wanted. and i didnt always want the best parts. for example, i chose to go with a DSM BOV. that didnt work out so well and cause a LOT of issues. i then just got a cheap $40 EBAY chrome BOV. works wonderfully. you will see that with certain things, you can actually get cheap stuff and it work great. like the BOV and the Wastegate. there are a few sellers on the net that make a knockoff Tial Sport wastegate and is engineered to Tial's specs and works exactly the same and as good. $100 less than the real thing.

you just have to search the net and look for the best deals.

and yes, i LOVED ebay. you can find a LOT of great deals on turbo stuff there.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:26 AM   #52
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

so you didn't actually buy a turbo "kit", it was pretty much pieced together? or did you start with something that included the turbo headers/snail/downpipe, etc?

Old 03-29-2005, 11:33 AM   #53
germ

each piece was bought seperately.

not one single item was purchased as a "kit"
Old 03-29-2005, 12:41 PM   #54
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
IMO a kit, although more costly, is a good place to start if you don't want to deal with ordering seperate pieces and putting everything together......me personally, i don't have time to deal with that crap...... i have picked up a kit from www.turbochargedpower.com, this will be my base for my alero project and i will go from there with engine building, and a 65hd tranny swap.....
Old 03-29-2005, 12:47 PM   #55
germ

wonder how long it will take you to get your "kit" from them

i know the grand am guys have been waiting for a long time and the one guy that the kit was based off of wont even endorse their product. and the only thing worthwhile on that kit is the headers IMO and even then, the dont show any signicant HP gains over log turbo headers.

but hey, spend the $3500 on that kit, its only money.

by the way, i pieced together my kit within 2 months, and another 2 weeks to fab up stuff to install it, and then another 6 days to install it the first time. if i were to start from scratch again, i could probably go from nothing, to a turbo'd car in less than 1 month.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:45 PM   #56
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

alright, I'm going to start looking on ebay, and do this piece by piece then. I'm going to have the heads/intakes p&p, and drop in some better head studs while I'm in there. Now I need some more specifics, like what size snail I need to look for. I am no pro at turbo setups, but I know larger snail will give you more hp at the top of the band, and a smaller one in the lower end. What size/type/brand snail, and what diameter header and downpipe/intercooler pipe should I look for now given that my primary use is going to be 1/4 mile, or street racing? Keep in mind I really want an adjustable w/g.

This may be alot to ask, but if you wouldn't mind, can you email or PM me with some "don't pay more than" prices for the components? If I'm not that turbo literate, I really dont wanna get ripped off.

Old 03-29-2005, 10:03 PM   #57
SilverBullet256

yeah im gonna do the same, i have tyhe turbo sofar, i need everything else for it i might just run it off the stock manifolds for now so i basically need to pick up an intercooler a good BOV and wastegate, any suggestions on brands or anything germ?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:18 PM   #58
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

can a turbo be ran off a regular header?

Old 03-29-2005, 11:10 PM   #59
SilverBullet256

yeah it can be done off the stock manifolds, not as free flwoing definately not good for really high performance but it will work
you just have to re-route the exhaust coming off the manifolds to the turbo
Old 03-29-2005, 11:17 PM   #60
SilverBullet256

o and i just realized that my turbo is a garret, i know garret is known to make good turbo's