Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 11-18-2003, 12:55 PM   #1
Molson
V.I.P. Member

Molson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Molson Send a message via MSN to Molson
submitted by Sound Xtreme
Since Speedhuts instructions sucked pretty bad I wrote this up for everyone after I made a SLIGHT and not very noticable mistake on mine.

Alright this does require a bit a patience, guts, and a little skill with a dremel. And sorry I didn't take any pics but should have.

Tools you will need include: Dremel, cutting disc(works the best), 7mm socket and wrench, hot glue gun and hot glue(or any glue for that matter) and maybe a small flat head screwdriver.

First start by taking the two screws out above your gauge cluster with your 7mm socket.

Proceed to pull off the black piece that covers the edge of the cluster by pulling firmly but gently at the same time to be sure not to break any of the clips off, there should be two I think. After you get that out be sure to unclip the trip button. Once you have all that done just move that out of your way where it wont get damaged.

Now you will be looking at all of your gauge cluster. There will be 4 screws holding the cluster in; one in each corner. Take all 4 out and be careful taking the screws out to be sure not to drop them it could be a pain to find them again.(same thing goes when putting it back in) Once you have taken all the screws out the cluster will be free to move. I hade to tilt mine down(gauges facing the sky) to get mine out. You may not. But anyways there will be a blue clip in the back. squeeze it together and pull, it should come right off. you should be holding the cluster in your hands by now.

Okay now comes the hard part. This is also kind of hard to explain. there will be little clips holding the stock black bezel and the clear piece on to the white back piece. It is kind of hard but you need to push all of these clips in. Just keep working at it carefully and it will come apart and you will be holding the clear piece in your hand. Put your actual gauges somewhere safe and out of the dirt and away from your working area. Now set the clear piece on the ground with the clear piece facing the sky. Look closely at where the clear connects to the black piece. the clear piece will look black. Now take your dremel and start cutting sideways(you may be holding the clear piece by now) into the clear piece. The black part that I tried to explain earlier will start to turn white and more clear. You need to stop when the piece turns all white and you need to stop immediatly. If you go in farther you will cut into either the black piece or the clear piece and you MAY be able to see that when you put the cluster back in. I did this from the left top corner all the way to the right top corner(meaning I did not cut top part of it). If you do not go all the way through it should still be weak enough to just take a small screwdriver and gently pry it off. It might make some cracking sounds but it is just the left over plastic.

After you get it half off you need to start getting the new bezel ready. The double sided tape did not help me too much since there is a decent gap between the aluminum and the stock bezels. But do the best you can, they made it a pretty tight fit. Once you have all the tape on and ready to go just gently hold open the gap created by the dremel and gently slide the aluminum bezel through. Once it is in make sure you press down to get the tape to stick decent.

Now your ready to put it back together. Clean off all the plastic left behind by the dremel, when I was doing it mine was actually melting the plastic, so I had to clean all that off. But It doesnt have to be perfect since no one is going to be seeing that part anyway.

Now you need to reseal it. I used hot glue. Just about anything will work. Silicone, superglue, hotglue, whatever you really think will hold it probably will. Once you have it resealed put it back the way it was and enjoy your new Aluminium Gauge Bezel.

submitted by Grouch
Quote:
Note, with the SpeedHut Carbon Fiber version you can skip most of that. Once you get the lens separated from the gauges you can very carefully and slowly bend the overlay and squeeze it through one of the larger openings, speedo/tach. Take your time with it, it will fit through there.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote