Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 11-18-2003, 12:37 PM   #1
Molson
V.I.P. Member

Molson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Molson Send a message via MSN to Molson
Submitted by Silent Alero
well yes it can come off but there is alot more work then, but if you want I'll try to explain the best I can

Ok step by step here is what you do to remove it completely (remind you I have torn my interior apart about 20-30 times already)

1) Pull the pin out of the front of the gear shifter, and pull the gear shifter off.

2) Ok now your gear shifter is off, now the center plastic piece that is directly under your gear shifter (the piece with the P R N D 3 2 1 on it) no take a screw driver and pry that up. Ok now reach under it but only pull it to where the wires will let you, Now do this, find the plug for the light under the P R N D 3 2 1 and turn it half a turn and pull it out. Now push the 2 clips on the side of the ETS Trac button and push it up through the top. now disconnect the button by unclipping it. Now you can pull the bottom center console piece off completely.

3) Now that the bottom center piece is removed you can remove your main center console piece (with the hvac and radio fit into it) actually now it will be easier. just pull it forward untill you have no clips holding it in. then you will need a 7mm wrench to remove the hvac controls (heater/ac). There are 4 bolts on the back of the WHITE plastic piece (white from behind the console, you will know once you get back there) they are black just incase...Ok now the 3 knobs and the 4 int/ext ac/defroster buttons will come out with it, this is just one big piece.

4) Once the hvac is off now you have to pull off the lighter plug, which is just connected by a clip (find the way and unclip it). Then take the center light (which lights up the dark cave in the center under your heater controls) and turn it half a turun and just pull it out. Now the center console piece will come out.

5) Now with basicly your entire center column out the radio is a snap. Just remove the 4 bolts (2 on each side) holding in the radio, then pull it out about half way, reach behind it and pull the harness off. Then just put the new radio back in and connect her up and put it all back together. Just reverse all these steps.

Told ya there is alot more to it if you wanted to remove the center piece CORRECTLY (i know there is ways to cheat but if your gonna do it, do it right), If ya got any questions, just ask, I also have pictures if you need anymore help.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:42 AM   #2
bigd6983

Some notes: on step one putting it in first or second gear helps when pulling the whole piece off and putting it back in. that piece nor the hvac have to completely come off, but if you disconnect some of the wires you can get them out of the way with more than enough to do the job.