Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > Forced Induction Performance

Old 11-13-2009, 07:42 AM   #21
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
You must be going for some serious RPM's with that LSA. That's going to bump your power band to the upper range quite a bit.

I'm not going for stretched rods on high RPM's, so I'm opting for a little lower on the LSA. So, what are you doing with your springs and/or rockers for that .577 lift?

i have some narrowed scat forged sbc rods in my built motor that should help, as far as the springs, rockers, ben mentioned the 29816 comp springs i believe, which will hold up to a .650 lift, and then the rockers will be stock, although i would love some of the new scorpion ones (in a stock 1.7), but who knows when they will be done
Old 11-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #22
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
right on. Are you really in South Dakota, or is that old?

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #23
Blktrax
GX Member

Blktrax is on a distinguished road
Just curious, other than the labor of love involved, why not go sequential twin turbo, or run a 7th injector to prespool/maintain turbo speed?
Old 11-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #24
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
prespooling is good for road-rally type vehicles, not as popular for drag racing. And on the additional turbo, it's a really nice idea, but I'd like to present the challenge of allowing you to identify a location for it.

That's not shooting down your idea, that's inviting you to show your mettle with a solution that works.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #25
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
Quote:
prespooling is good for road-rally type vehicles, not as popular for drag racing. And on the additional turbo, it's a really nice idea, but I'd like to present the challenge of allowing you to identify a location for it.

That's not shooting down your idea, that's inviting you to show your mettle with a solution that works.

Remote mount? The guys over at STS seem to have maximized the efficienty of remote mount turbo systems with minimal lag
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #26
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad99Olds View Post
Remote mount? The guys over at STS seem to have maximized the efficienty of remote mount turbo systems with minimal lag

Yes, however that avenue has already been attempted. There is no place to fit the charge pipe coming from the rear back up to the engine.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #27
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Quote:
Yes, however that avenue has already been attempted. There is no place to fit the charge pipe coming from the rear back up to the engine.

Ah, kinda figured that had been thought of, worth a shot none the less.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #28
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
right on. Are you really in South Dakota, or is that old?

yeah i'm here, me and linz moved back after we got laid off from our jobs in colorado........
Old 11-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #29
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

bah, lay-off's suck.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #30
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:

couldn't you bang up some sheetmetal into the cabin? its a ridiculous amount of fab work... but isn't it possible?
Old 11-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #31
HazMatt24
GLS member

HazMatt24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
couldn't you bang up some sheetmetal into the cabin? its a ridiculous amount of fab work... but isn't it possible?

yeah, who needs a passenger seat, just shoot that shit straight on through
1994 Chevy Suburban aka The Zombie Mower 4" Rancho suspension lift 2" body lift. 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Radial M/Ts 10000K HID 12" JL W3 Subs in custom box 1000W Alpine mono amp 1F capacitor 6.5" JL mids 4X6 Pioneers in dash 450W Alpine 4 channel Dynomax cat & exhaust
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT chameleon paint, Cadillac 22" wheels
HazMatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #32
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

sequential turbos and Nozzzzzz
Old 11-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #33
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
Quote:

or do like that mustang guy did with his twin remote setup, make hollow rocker panels and turn the charge pipe into something attractive.

mmmm... sweeeetttttt

WEBSITE is up! www.rebadgedesign.com
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #34
Blktrax
GX Member

Quote:

Understood, unconventional thinking is what Alero-modding is about.

To the turbo idea, just penciling it out, a small GT2056 off the back 3, obvoiusly cats gone. Inlet comes around from the passenger side, outlet comes up and over like a volvo motor. Off the front Log the GT2854R, exhaust routed in paralell down under the car into a Y collector. Intercooler routed through the existing air/ relocated battery area.

Basicly something like this but one turbo on the D/S and one on the Rear, but you see the exhaust path I was discribing. the charge pipes going around the engine not nessacarily over it.

Last edited by Blktrax : 11-13-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Blktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #35
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg9640 View Post
or do like that mustang guy did with his twin remote setup, make hollow rocker panels and turn the charge pipe into something attractive.
that's just for uniqueness, it's totally impractical and the horrible flow characteristics of the way its designed make sure it performs far poorer than a standard turbo setup.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #36
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

the volvo diagram doesn't show me anything new as far as design characteristics. What I would like you to do now is to measure the clearance between the engine and firewall, then the dimensions of the tunnel, and I think the light-bulb will come on as to why this would be more difficult than you can imagine. not only clearance as it exists when stationary, but also think about the amount of torque-over the drive train gets during hard acceleration. I think you'll find this is the reason it hasn't been done yet.

Nobody's going to knock you for presenting an idea. That's what this forum is about. However, turbo placement is something we've considered very in depth, and there's very few places that one can be mounted for practical daily driving.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:40 AM   #37
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
I thought this was just a track car?
DOHC_tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #38
Blktrax
GX Member

Quote:
Nobody's going to knock you for presenting an idea. That's what this forum is about. However, turbo placement is something we've considered very in depth, and there's very few places that one can be mounted for practical daily driving.

I completely understand, the final part of the comment though is what throws me off.

Power vs. Reliability on a long term time-line; Those, of course that have had the experience of grenading a few motors tend to shy away from super high increases of power because reliability becomes a total unknown.

I'm not saying in anyway, that hasn't been considered as well. But what is the expected run time between rebuilds at that kind of level and still maintain sustained drivability.

In regards to the clearance issues, relate all back to the daily driving issue. If the Firewall was modified, in such a way it would intrude on the HVAC. Basicly like clearancing a Small Block car to fit a Big Block and bell housing. Minus the A/C all together, there would be enough room for the second turbo to fit in front of the block down low simmilar to the new Subaru Legacy GT.

As you said however, I'm sure this ball has been tossed around a lot. To me at least looking at the engine bay and the locations, it seems if the charge pipes were oval and just round at their connection points going around the motor on either side would be possible.

Last edited by Blktrax : 11-14-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Blktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #39
Blktrax
GX Member

Ok having gone out to look at the car in the cold and rain twice now, and having searched for a reverse waterpump for the last 45 minutes. All I can come to the comclusion is, It'd take a hell of a lot of re-engineering to do it.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #40
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktrax View Post
Ok having gone out to look at the car in the cold and rain twice now, and having searched for a reverse waterpump for the last 45 minutes. All I can come to the comclusion is, It'd take a hell of a lot of re-engineering to do it.

thats commitment for the conversation, right there.